New to the Church

jstn1040

Hi All!

I'm sort of new to the LDS faith and I am an investigator I guess. Anyways I was just wondering how you all deal with haters and nay-sayers. I live in Rhode Island which has a very low mormon population and a lot of people say they won't be my friend or they laugh when I tell them that I am considering going to my friends YSA ward in Massachusetts. I don't know why but I feel more of a connection with this church then with my own catholic faith. I am reading the Book of Mormon now and I just started Jacob last night. I am really enjoying it! I only wish others wouldn't be so judgmental and be more respectful of other peoples faiths.

My second question is that I just accepted a new job which requires 90% travel throughout the US of the year. And basically I'll be working at a Hotel for 3 weeks out of every month then come home for a few days and leave again. I leave for training in Maryland on October 5th...I think (I haven't received my training itinerary from the company yet) ..and will be there for approx. two or three weeks. I was just wondering is it a mormon cultural faux pas if I am at one ward for 3 or 4 sundays and then go somewhere else?

Anyways thanks in advance for the advice. I already told my mother that I was probably going to attend church services one sunday before I left for Maryland. She was ok, a little hesitant but ok with that. Ok so that's my story currently! Thanks :)

-Justin

Hi All!

I'm sort of new to the LDS faith and I am an investigator I guess. Anyways I was just wondering how you all deal with haters and nay-sayers. I live in Rhode Island which has a very low mormon population and a lot of people say they won't be my friend or they laugh when I tell them that I am considering going to my friends YSA ward in Massachusetts. I don't know why but I feel more of a connection with this church then with my own catholic faith. I am reading the Book of Mormon now and I just started Jacob last night. I am really enjoying it! I only wish others wouldn't be so judgmental and be more respectful of other peoples faiths.

My second question is that I just accepted a new job which requires 90% travel throughout the US of the year. And basically I'll be working at a Hotel for 3 weeks out of every month then come home for a few days and leave again. I leave for training in Maryland on October 5th...I think (I haven't received my training itinerary from the company yet) ..and will be there for approx. two or three weeks. I was just wondering is it a mormon cultural faux pas if I am at one ward for 3 or 4 sundays and then go somewhere else?

Anyways thanks in advance for the advice. I already told my mother that I was probably going to attend church services one sunday before I left for Maryland. She was ok, a little hesitant but ok with that. Ok so that's my story currently! Thanks :)

-Justin

Not at all Justin. Many members travel with business and are forced to attend other wards or LDS church services across the country. There is absolutely nothing wrong with it at all. I've lived a majority of my life in military communities where you see faces for a short time and they are gone.

Welcome to the site btw.

Justin, there is no faux pas in the traveling. The only thing I would mention about it is that if you are not settled in one place, you may find it hard to set down roots in the Church because you won't have a lot of consistency. Some people may disagree with me.

(Note: I'm not discouraging your studying and potential baptism, just offering a bit of a warning.)

I would have to agree with you Wingnut to an extent. The gospel is the same no matter where you go. But I do agree that it is hard to develop the roots and the fellowship of the same members week after week.

It's hard enough being a new Member if that is the choice and to be going to a new ward each week. Adds a double whammy.

But Justin don't let this stop you. Some people rise above these challenges and are much stronger members.

I was just wondering how you all deal with haters and nay-sayers.

I can’t say I have had it happen a lot (I do live in Utah) but we all have moments in our life that’s makes evaluate why we are members of the LDS church. The Mormon church has always been on the outside looking in. I think really it comes down to proving others wrong. Meaning we live our religion and they see how it makes us better people, it makes a happier. Over time your friends well see that.

I was just wondering is it a mormon cultural faux pas if I am at one ward for 3 or 4 sundays and then go somewhere else?

No, you well probably see things a lot difference that most LDS members never see. I have been to plenty of other wards in my life, and I’m always surprised how each ward still feels like a “home.” It is going to be tough for you to try to grow in a new church with obstacles of this new job. The key is keep building a testimony! Keep growing as much as you can! Keep in touch with your friends back home, talk to them about what you learned in church and find out what they did! This way you can grow together.

And I guess one good thing about the internet, is most of us are on here probably way to much!

Welcome!

Edited by tubaloth

I live on the east coast and there weren't that many members of the church when I was learning. As I learned more and more, I became drawn to it and it's teachings. Yes, I did have friends (so called) tell me that they would not be my friend if I joined. Yes I did have people tell me lies and give me anti mormon literature. But, upon asking God if this church was true and if He really did send an angel to Joseph Smith, HE answered my prayers. He let me know in ways that were needed for me to understand and comprehend His gospel. I had answers and I could not deny it!

I joined the church and have NEVER regretted it! The anti literature was full of half truths and plain lies. The so called friends, well....... they weren't real friends! You need to follow the direction that God is showing you. Not every one is willing to or even interested in knowing what God wants them to do... The only way to have happiness is by listening to God's answers. He is the only one who knows what you need to be happy.

Justin, there is no faux pas in the traveling. The only thing I would mention about it is that if you are not settled in one place, you may find it hard to set down roots in the Church because you won't have a lot of consistency. Some people may disagree with me.

(Note: I'm not discouraging your studying and potential baptism, just offering a bit of a warning.)

On the other hand, when you travel, besides work duties, you may not be distracted by so many things, so it would be a great opportunity to study the gospel without distractions. Also, you will have instant friends wherever you go, which could help with the loneliness that comes with travelling jobs

:)