paper on Joseph Smith

So, I'm taking an American Studies class called "Rogues and Rebels" where we've been studying different historical figures who went against society or the ruling authorities to determine whether they are a rogue who is only in it for themselves or a rebel who fights for what they believe is right.

I need to write a paper for this class and thought that Joseph Smith would be a good topic, as it's already an area of interest for me. So, can you recommend any books or academic sources that would present information in an unbiased manner? Websites are great, but most of them can't be used as sources for this assignment. Pretty much anything that would give a non-Mormon a fair look into whether Joseph Smith made it all up for his own benefit, or really believed in what he was teaching. Thanks:)

PS. I'm already reading Joseph Smith: Rough Stone Rolling, a good book so far.

You should also read No Man Knows My History by Fawn M Brodie.

You said you've checked the internet, but I do want to make sure you spend some time on the wiki site for Joseph Smith. It is very accurate.

Good luck on the paper. Is there anyway to get a read of it when you are done? Please PM me and lets see if I can get a copy. I'd be willing to proof it for you.

The same Fawn Brodies whose other "history" book does not stand up to peer review?

The same Fawn Brodie who wrote about Thomas Jefferson's relationship with Sally Hemmings, which no one took seriously.

Or, at least, not until their was proof.

Elphaba

Edit: Ram showed me that I was wrong about there being proof of Jefferson and Hemings relationship. So, I retract my comments in this post.

Elphaba

Edited by Elphaba
Because I was wrong.

Elphaba, there's still no "proof".

The best book out there, bar none, is "Joseph Smith, Rough Stone Rolling" by Richard Bushman. If you can access it, I'd also recommend Terryl Givens' discourse at the Joseph Smith symposium at the Library of Congress in 2005. Not sure if they are still online or not. Try here: BYU Broadcasting | The Worlds of Joseph Smith or here: Symposium Marking the Bicentennial of Joseph Smith - The Library Today (Library of Congress)

I personally like "A History of Joseph Smith by His Mother Lucy Mack Smith". Of course his mother would be biased, but she was there and saw it with her own eyes.

Also, does anyone know if the movie they're currently showing in the Joseph Smith Memorial in SL, about Joseph Smith, is available elsewhere? It's quite good.

Another thought is the Book of Mormon, itself. Joseph is responsible for bringing this book forth through translation, which has changed the lives of millions. You might consider reading it, because if Joseph did write it himself as the world claims, what would be his motive? The book itself might shed some light on that question.

You should also read No Man Knows My History by Fawn M Brodie.

Here's a rather detailed and long FARMS review of Brodie herself, as well as many of her works:

FARMS: F. M. Brodie "The Fasting Hermit and Very Saint of Ignorance": A Biographer and Her Legend

They're not impressed with her scholarship, her quoting sources out of context, her uncharitable leaps of logic, or her passionate defenders. They are impressed with how the book was marketed.

LM

Elphaba, there's still no "proof".

Thanks Ram, you are right. I should have been more careful in my comment.

I still maintain Brodie broached the subject that has led to much research where many concluded it was highly probable Jefferson and Hemings had a relationship; however, highly probable is not proof.

And apparently there are others who vehemently disagree with the conclusions. I didn't know that.

Bad Elphaba

Thanks Ram, you are right. I should have been more careful in my comment.

I still maintain Brodie broached the subject that has led to much research where many concluded it was highly probable Jefferson and Hemings had a relationship; however, highly probable is not proof.

And apparently there are others who vehemently disagree with the conclusions. I didn't know that.

Bad Elphaba

Yes, during the time that Sally Hemings was being inseminated, Thomas Jefferson is believed to not have been in town. However, Thomas' brother was in town at the time. So there are several who believe that she was impregnated by A Jefferson, just not necessarily Thomas Jefferson.

And you aren't so bad....