Cornucopia

wy0mn

My personal belief in preparedness requires a balanced yet broad ranged knowledge & experiennce foundation.

We stockpile foodstuffs, garden, orchard, hunt/fish/trap among many other acts & skills.

Just curious how many others have skills besides simply hiding things bought from the store...

Any blacksmiths? Tanners? Weavers? Potters? Any skill at all, I'm really curious to know.

my husband is a hunter and fisher, we have a veg patch and come next summer chickens its the only satisfactory way to store eggs lol

We can both build basic shelter from stuff around, i can also build a pottery kiln and a bread oven, My husband can light fires from very little etc

-Charley

Farming is all I knew as a kid, in Alabama as a matter of fact. As a youth we butchered our own stock & game. Dad cured hams, Mom & Granny canned or dried everything imaginable, and made butter from our own milk.

It was too warm for root cellars, although one Grandpa (from CZ) always tried.

I grew a varied orchard when I lived in TN & am attempting the beginnings of one here (WY).

This week I'm relearning how to make jelly & cider vinegar from the last of the crab apples. Next week I'll try to make some tallow candles from sheep tallow I scrounged.

Took Hussy, my wife, on a roadtrip to see a reed bed near a lake the other day. She said she can weave baskets from them if the sap hasn't fallen too far yet.

My pottery skills are crude but functional, & I'm an average farrier.

I've raised and butchered animals, we've canned foods. I hunted deer in Wyoming that was really more like harvesting than hunting. In 3 years of heavy fishing, I caught one bass. Now I buy my fish in a 6 1/2 oz can. I was a scouter for many years. I used to be good at starting fires and outdoor skills. I hope it all comes back to me when I need it. Oh, and did I mention, I know a lot about electronics and computers. When it comes to other skills that may add value to a communal system, I may be in trouble - but I learn fast.

I know how to shop at the grocery store. I hope I live close to one of you when the time comes. I feel very inferior having none of these skills. I've always been a big city girl.

This group definately isn't as bad off as some are, still, we can do better.

Maybe a new years challenge. As a resolution for 2009, add a valued skill to your personal accomplishments.

I know I'm disgustingly weak in the medical arts. Basic 1st Aid/CPR is better than nothing. My brain isn't too calcified yet to learn more.

Earlier this year I bought a wood cookstove for the cabin. Then I had to teach myself how to use it properly.

I grew up with those things, but a lot is forgotten over time, and the ladies usually crafted our meals. Just planning things so that they all arrived at the table hot was a challenge!

Campfire cooking is simple, you lower the bar, and set your meal quality down to what you & an open fire are capable of. With a wood cookstove you can prepare anything that a regular stove can. But it requires more diligent observation & temperature control. There is no setting the timer and walking away, anything left on the surface as though it were a slow crock... adios.

I have to learn to use a canner on this beast next.

Perhaps I should learn an oft overlooked type of woodworking. Warping & bending. Useful not only for bent wood rocking chairs but snowshoes, sleds, wagon wheels, barrel staves, etc.

I can cook, clean, sew, garden, crochet, make lace, needlework, candymaking, soapmaking, make natural cleaners and perfumes/lotions/etc, bellydance (hey if bad times come, people will need a good laugh to take their minds off their troubles), shoot a shotgun, rifle, pistol, bows/arrows, good with a knife... and I'm advanced level at maintaining/rotating/using my food storage.

I do cardmaking, too. Hmmm, and quilting. Trying to think of what else.

Oh, I know how to ride motorcycles and can drive a stick-shift :)

Edited by amightyfortress