I had posted what I considered to be a very nice greeting for Bodhigirlsmiles and now it has disappeared.

I think what happened is...bodhigirlsmiles had her "Intro." in (at least) three forums. I also welcomed her, but obviously it was on one of the other threads...which is, most likely, where yours is Moksha.

Could be the others were deleted...I haven't looked.

Is there a Buddhism discussion board somewhere else on the internet where we could go to learn more about it?

This is a website about the kind of Buddhism I was studying last year, it gives an overview of Buddhism as well as links to local meditation centres around Europe.

Kadampa Buddhist meditation centres in Europe - Manjushri Kadampa Meditation Centre

Ooops, just realised you were asking for a discussion board! Sorry!!

Welcome - If it were not for the LDS I would be Buddhist – From my studies I prefer a form a Buddhism that has roots in Tibet. Some things you might find interesting about LDS and Buddhist relations:

The highest ranking Zen master outside of Asia lives in Salt Lake City, Utah and is on good relations with the LDS. Our sacred temples are in part to honor our dead in every nation and many sacred symbols used in our temples are similar to symbols Buddhist use in their cemeteries. I personally have a good friend that is a Buddhist monk of European decent.

I am also familiar with the writings of Ken Wilber and his integration theory of modern religious thinking.

The Traveler

i am very glad to hear that! i am tibetan myself. my parents were born there, but i was born in the united states. i have practiced the religion of my parents since i was very little.

i would love to hear more about what you described about cemetaries! that sounds very interesting.

thank you for your warm welcome!

That's the same one I am reading right now. It's very good,and very applicable.

I also enjoy the writings of Thic Nhat Hanh. "Being Peace" and "Living Buddha Living Christ" are my two favorite non-LDS religious books.

Nice to have you here bodhigirlsmiles. Welcome.

Take Care,

O43

thick nhat hanh is one of my most beloved authors and friend. i have met him on a number of occasions and he has continuted to inspire me with his compassion and zest for life. in fact, speaking of the lds faith, your thomas s. monson is someone that inspires me in the same way that thick does. i have not read a lot of mr. monson's writings, but what i have read very much reminds me of thick. they are both very compassionate people who love life!

Not really anything to reply to, just want to mention my experiences.

I lived for 7 years in Thailand where they practice Theeravada Buddhism. I taught English to a Temple Abbot. The thing that most impressed me was the order they had.

Every village(tambon) had a wat(temple). Tambons were organized to into amphurs, Amphurs were organized in Changwats and the Changwats were organized nationally. Knowing that I know now, Tambons are similar to wards, Amphurs are similar to stakes and Changwats are similar to areas.

Contrary to what some in Hollywood may make you believe, Buddhism is very conservative. No drinking, people should be modest, etc. etc.

The ultimate goal is to reach Nirvana which is a cessation of both good and bad feelings by finding the middle path.

That's in direct contrast with the teachings of the Restored Gospel.

Contrary to what some in Hollywood may make you believe, Buddhism is very conservative. No drinking, people should be modest, etc. etc.

The ultimate goal is to reach Nirvana which is a cessation of both good and bad feelings by finding the middle path.

That's in direct contrast with the teachings of the Restored Gospel.

thank you for sharing your thoughts. i love what you said about buddhism being very conservative. there is also a prevailing feeling that buddhism is very easy-going with regard to moral issues. while this may be true in some cases, largely it is erroneous.

many years ago, as part of my buddhist upbringing, i took a set of vows that are morally binding mandates. they are as follows:

1. i will be mindful and reverential with all life,

i will not be violent nor will i kill.

Avoid killing or harming any living being.

I undertake the precept to refrain from destroying living creatures.

I shall endeavor to protect and take care of all living creatures.

Do not do harm to other beings.

"Life and limb are precious to every living being and nobody has the right to destroy the life of another

for any reason. But we know that human beings kill others individually and collectively in the name of

human rights, religion, peace, nation, race, culture and population control- all assumed good purposes.

Hatred, jealousy, power, greed, ill will, selfishness, cruelty, callousness, pride, ignorance are incentives

that provide and drive one to commit panatipata. This is a deviation from the Noble Eight Fold Path -

Right understanding, thought and action."

- The Buddhist Perspective of Lay Morality, Dr. Bodhippriya Subhadra Sinwardena

“If a person does not harm any living being…

and does not kill or cause others to kill -

that person is a true spiritual practitioner.”

- The Dhammapada

2. i will respect the property of others; i will not steal.

Avoid stealing. Do not take what is not yours to take.

I undertake the precept to refrain from taking that which is not given.

Live simply and frugally.

"Aware of the suffering caused by exploitation, social injustice, stealing, and oppression,

I am committed to cultivating loving kindness and learning ways to work for the well-being

of people, animals, plants, and minerals. I will practice generosity by sharing my time,

energy, and material resources with those who are in real need. I am determined not to

steal and not to possess anything that should belong to others. I will respect the property

of others, but I will prevent others from profiting from human suffering or the suffering

of other species on Earth."

The Five Precepts

"Do not steal. If something is not given to us, we should not take it. This precept applies not only to

valuable items such as gold and silver, but even to things as small and inexpensive as needles.

This can also be interpreted as living frugally and not wasting resources."

- Buddhism

"The second precept deals with taking things that are not given. This is more that just

not stealing. It means not coveting things in the material, psychological, or in the spiritual

realms. Desire stems from a feeling of incompleteness. This precept teaches us to accept

ourselves wholly and to make this total acceptance is to become complete, to

attain the Buddha state."

- Zen Master Wu Bong (Jacob Perl), Five Precepts

3. i will be conscious and loving in my relationships,

i will not give way to lust.

Avoid sexual irresponsibility.

I undertake the precept to refrain from improper sexual activity.

Do not engage in sexual misconduct.

"Aware of the suffering caused by sexual misconduct, I vow to cultivate my responsibility and learn

ways to protect the safety and integrity of individuals, couples, families and society. I am determined

not to engage in sexual relations without love and long-term commitment. To preserve the

happiness of myself and others, I am determined to respect my commitments and the commitments of

others. I will do everything in my power to protect children from sexual abuse and to protect families

from being broken by sexual misconduct."

The Five Wonderful Precepts. By Zen Master Thich Nhat Hanh.

4. i will honor honesty and truth; i will not deceive.

Avoid lying, or any hurtful speech.

I undertake the precept to refrain from incorrect speech.

Refrain from lying, gossiping, slander, and spreading false rumors.

Silence in precious, I will not gossip or engage in frivolous conversations.

"Aware of the suffering caused by unmindful speech and the inability to listen to others,

I am committed to cultivating loving speech and deep listening in order to bring joy and

happiness to others and relieve others of their suffering. Knowing that words can create

happiness or suffering, I am determined to speak truthfully, with words that inspire

self-confidence, joy, and hope. I will not spread news that I do not know to be certain

and will not criticize or condemn things of which I am not sure. I will refrain from uttering

words that can cause division or discord, or that can cause the family or the community

to break. I am determined to make all efforts to reconcile and resolve all conflicts,

however small."

The Five Precepts

"Furthermore, abandoning lying, the disciple of the noble ones abstains from lying. In doing so,

he gives freedom from danger, freedom from animosity, freedom from oppression to limitless

numbers of beings. In giving freedom from danger, freedom from animosity, freedom from

oppression to limitless numbers of beings, he gains a share in limitless freedom from danger,

freedom from animosity, and freedom from oppression. This is the fourth gift...

The Five Faultless Gifts

5. i will exercise proper care of my body and mind,

i will not be gluttonous nor abuse intoxicants.

Avoid alcohol and drugs which diminish clarity of consciousness.

I undertake the precept to refrain from intoxicating drinks and drugs which lead to carelessness.

Refrain from intoxicants that cloud the mind.

"Aware of the suffering caused by unmindful consumption, I vow to cultivate good health, both physical

and mental, for myself, my family, and my society by practicing mindful eating, drinking, and consuming.

I vow to ingest only items that preserve peace, well-being and joy in my body, in my consciousness, and

in the collective body and consciousness of my family and society. I am determined not to use alcohol

or any other intoxicants, or to ingest foods or other items that contain toxins, such as certain T.V.

programs, magazines, books, films and conversations. I am aware that to damage my body and my

consciousness with these poisons is to betray my ancestors, my parents, my society, and future

generations. I will work to transform violence, fear, anger, and confusion by practicing a diet for myself

and for society. I understand that a proper diet is crucial for self-transformation, and for the

transformation of society."

Being mindful of suffering

caused by taking poisons into our bodies and minds,

we are determined to take into our bodies and minds

only those things that nourish awareness, life, and love.

- The Five Wonderful Precepts - Blue Iris Sangha

Avoid sexual irresponsibility.

I undertake the precept to refrain from improper sexual activity.

Do not engage in sexual misconduct.

"Aware of the suffering caused by sexual misconduct, I vow to cultivate my responsibility and learn

ways to protect the safety and integrity of individuals, couples, families and society. I am determined

not to engage in sexual relations without love and long-term commitment. To preserve the

happiness of myself and others, I am determined to respect my commitments and the commitments of

others. I will do everything in my power to protect children from sexual abuse and to protect families

from being broken by sexual misconduct."

All these 5 principles sound wonderful. To you, does #3 mean that you should refrain from pre-marital sexual relations?

What is the basic beliefs in Buddhism? Who created us, why we are here, and where do we go after death?

thank you for your question. let me start with a little bit of history....

historians estimate that the founder of buddhism, siddhartha gautama, lived from 566(?) to 480(?) b.c. the son of an indian warrior-king, gautama led an extravagant life through early adulthood, reveling in the privileges of his social caste. when he bored of the indulgences of royal life, however, gautama wandered into the world in search of understanding. after encountering an old man, an ill man, a corpse and an ascetic, gautama was convinced that suffering lay at the end of all existence. he renounced his princely title and became a monk, depriving himself of worldly possessions in the hope of comprehending the truth of the world around him. the culmination of his search came while meditating beneath a tree, where he finally understood how to be free from suffering, and ultimately, to achieve salvation. following this epiphany, gautama was known as the buddha, meaning the "enlightened one." the buddha spent the remainder of his life journeying about india, teaching others what he had come to understand.

the four noble truths comprise the essence of buddha's teachings, though they leave much left unexplained. they are the truth of suffering, the truth of the cause of suffering, the truth of the end of suffering, and the truth of the path that leads to the end of suffering. more simply put, suffering exists; it has a cause; it has an end; and it has a cause to bring about its end. the notion of suffering is not intended to convey a negative world view, but rather, a pragmatic perspective that deals with the world as it is, and attempts to rectify it. the concept of pleasure is not denied, but acknowledged as fleeting. pursuit of pleasure can only continue what is ultimately an unquenchable thirst. the same logic belies an understanding of happiness. in the end, only aging, sickness, and death are certain and unavoidable.

the four Noble truths are a contingency plan for dealing with the suffering humanity faces -- suffering of a physical kind, or of a mental nature. the first truth identifies the presence of suffering. the second truth, on the other hand, seeks to determine the cause of suffering. in buddhism, desire and ignorance lie at the root of suffering. by desire, buddhists refer to craving pleasure, material goods, and immortality, all of which are wants that can never be satisfied. as a result, desiring them can only bring suffering. ignorance, in comparison, relates to not seeing the world as it actually is. without the capacity for mental concentration and insight, buddhism explains, one's mind is left undeveloped, unable to grasp the true nature of things. vices, such as greed, envy, hatred and anger, derive from this ignorance.

the third noble truth, the truth of the end of suffering, has dual meaning, suggesting either the end of suffering in this life, on earth, or in the spiritual life, through achieving nirvana. when one has achieved nirvana, which is a transcendent state free from suffering and our worldly cycle of birth and rebirth, spiritual enlightenment has been reached. the fourth noble truth charts the method for attaining the end of suffering, known to buddhists as the noble eightfold path. the steps of the noble eightfold path are right understanding, right thought, right speech, right action, right livelihood, right effort, right mindfulness and right concentration. moreover, there are three themes into which the path is divided: good moral conduct (understanding, thought, speech); meditation and mental development (action, livelihood, effort), and wisdom or insight (mindfulness and concentration).

still with me?? :)

contrary to what is accepted in contemporary society, the buddhist interpretation of karma does not only refer to preordained fate. karma refers to good or bad actions a person takes during her lifetime. good actions, which involve either the absence of bad actions, or actual positive acts, such as generosity, righteousness, and meditation, bring about happiness in the long run. bad actions, such as lying, stealing or killing, bring about unhappiness in the long run. the weight that actions carry is determined by five conditions: frequent, repetitive action; determined, intentional action; action performed without regret; action against extraordinary persons; and action toward those who have helped one in the past. finally, there is also neutral karma, which derives from acts such as breathing, eating or sleeping. neutral karma has no benefits or costs.

and where are we going after this life?

karma plays out in the buddhism cycle of rebirth. there are six separate planes into which any living being can be reborn -- three fortunate realms, and three unfortunate realms. those with favorable, positive karma are reborn into one of the fortunate realms: the realm of demigods, the realm of gods, and the realm of men. While the demigods and gods enjoy gratification unknown to men, they also suffer unceasing jealousy and envy. the realm of man is considered the highest realm of rebirth. humanity lacks some of the extravagances of the demigods and gods, but is also free from their relentless conflict. similarly, while inhabitants of the three unfortunate realms -- of animals, ghosts and hell -- suffer untold suffering, the suffering of the realm of man is far less.

the realm of man also offers one other aspect lacking in the other five planes, an opportunity to achieve enlightenment, or nirvana. given the sheer number of living things, to be born human is to buddhists a precious chance at spiritual bliss, a rarity that one should not forsake.

finally, many buddhists (myself included) take binding madantes set forth by the buddha thousands of years ago which dictate the way we live. basically, they are as follows:

1. i will be mindful and reverential with all life,

i will not be violent nor will i kill.

2. i will respect the property of others, i will not steal.

4. i will honor honesty and truth, i will not deceive.

5. i will exercise proper care of my body and mind,

i will not be gluttonous nor abuse intoxicants.