If I convert do I have to give up...

declanr

Do people really live this "Word of Wisdom" in the LDS community completely, or is it just a good guideline?

I occasionally enjoy a good cup of coffee in the morning, a glass of red wine with dinner, or even a beer or two while i'm out shooting pool some weekends.

My doctor tells me the wine is actually good for me in the amounts I drink it, and the other stuff is not doing any harm in moderation.

If I convert will I be expected to drink 0 wine, 0 coffee, etc.? Or will it be up to me? Do LDS people occasionally have wine with dinner?

Thanks,

D

Do people really live this "Word of Wisdom" in the LDS community completely, or is it just a good guideline?

I would argue that we don't all live it completely. We focus a lot on the "thou shalt not" aspects of it (the coffee, tea, alcohol, smoking, etc.). There is another side to it that we tend to let slide sometimes...it's the "thou shalt" part. It talks about grain, meat, and herbs.

For what you are asking, however, yes we try to follow it completely.

If I convert will I be expected to drink 0 wine, 0 coffee, etc.?

Correct.

Or will it be up to me?

Well, it's always up to you. No one forces you to do anything, or not do anything. However, there are blessings that you cannot enjoy if you are not following the Word of Wisdom.

I would argue that we don't all live it completely. We focus a lot on the "thou shalt not" aspects of it (the coffee, tea, alcohol, smoking, etc.). There is another side to it that we tend to let slide sometimes...it's the "thou shalt" part. It talks about grain, meat, and herbs.

For what you are asking, however, yes we try to follow it completely.

Correct.

Well, it's always up to you. No one forces you to do anything, or not do anything. However, there are blessings that you cannot enjoy if you are not following the Word of Wisdom.

Can I still be baptized and be a member in good standing if I decide to not change my current use of wine, coffee etc.?

Question to ask yourself, are you willing to follow the WILL of the SAVIOR and Heavenly Father when committing yourself to the gospel?

Traveler has brought back from the dead this thread: http://www.lds.net/forums/christian-beliefs-board/11452-alcohol.html

That is one long thread. Didn't the savior drink wine? :mellow:

No but really, will it keep me from being baptized?

Can I still be baptized and be a member in good standing if I decide to not change my current use of wine, coffee etc.?

As you prepare for baptism, you will be asked a series of worthiness questions. They inquire as to your intent to follow commitments to help you live the laws of God. As you progress in the Gospel, and are interviewed for Priesthood worthiness and later temple worthiness, the questions will be similar, but they will pertain to your behavior and patterns, not your intent. If you really have no intent of giving up your Word of Wisdom related habits, you need to make that clear in advance.

It truly is a double edged sword.. for instance.. I'll use myself as an example.

I joined the church when I was 19.. and I drank occasionally etc. I had my habits and they didn't harm anyone. I was asked the questions.. and I decided to abstain from alchohol and other bad habits until I was of legal age.

Not because it was against the WoW.. but because it was against the law. Give the Holy Spirit a chance to work and you might just have a change of heart.. but it's a difficult line to walk because if you aren't 'worthy of the Spirit' you won't learn from it. I'm not completely through with this moral struggle.. as i'm not 21 yet.. but it's not far off.

I'll give you my advice: Join the church. Live it to the letter.. and see [after a period of time] if your habits change.

I occasionally enjoy a good cup of coffee in the morning, a glass of red wine with dinner, or even a beer or two while i'm out shooting pool some weekends.

My doctor tells me the wine is actually good for me in the amounts I drink it, and the other stuff is not doing any harm in moderation.

If I convert will I be expected to drink 0 wine, 0 coffee, etc.? Or will it be up to me? Do LDS people occasionally have wine with dinner?

Thanks,

D

One of the reasons my husband doesn't join the church is because he drinks once in a while and he wont stop drinking to join. I guess he just loves his drinking once in a while more than wanting to join the church.

He has tried a couple of times for a couple of years and has decided that he wants to have the freedom of having the drink whenever he feels like having it. I do appreciate him for at least trying to do it. My advice to you is to try, you never know if you are going to be able to do it unless you try. And if you have the sincere desire to stop I know that the spirit will give you the strength that you need.

Rainofgold

As wingnut said, you will be asked a set of questions in an interview before your baptism. They include asking if you live the word of wisdom including not drinking tea, coffee, or alcohol. If you say no meaning that you do drink those things then your baptism would be delayed until you can give these up.

Okay,

I wouldnt want to lie to get baptized, so, while I read the book of Mormon and consider the church, I will do my best to live the word of wisdom, I think this is the only real fair way to give the church a shot, and humble myself a bit.

I think living without coffee some mornings will be the toughest part, but I will manage...

D

I'm glad to see that you seem willing to give it a try for awhile.

There are several scriptures in which the Lord invites us to "test" him...to try out the promises he's made to us. I think that's the best way to gain a testimony of any Gospel principle...live as if you already believe it, and you'll come to know it.

John 7:17 If any man will do his will, he shall know of the doctrine, whether it be of God, or whether I speak of myself.

Do the will of God, and you will come to know if it is true doctrine or not.

Malachi 3:10 Bring ye all the tithes into the storehouse, that there may be meat in mine house, and prove me now herewith, saith the Lord of hosts, if I will not open you the windows of heaven, and pour you out a blessing, that there shall not be room enough to receive it.

While this verse speaks specifically of tithing, I think the concept can be applied elsewhere. Do what the Lord commands, and prove Him (test or try Him). He'll bless you.

D&C 82:9 Or, in other words, I give unto you directions how you may act before me, that it may turn to you for your salvation.

10 I, the Lord, am bound when ye do what I say; but when ye do not what I say, ye have no promise.

The Lord gives us certain commandments. In return, He gives us certain blessings. When we follow the commandments that He gives us, He cannot be restrained from giving us the blessings He has promised. However, when we fail to uphold our end of the bargain, He has no obligation to uphold His.

Edited by Wingnut
grammatical error

Guest SisterofJared

declanr, you will be in my prayers... for you to receive answers to yours, and to be blessed. How awesome that you are willing to give up the coffee and alcohol for a time, to allow yourself the opportunity to develop the testimony! That clearly reveals a sincere heart! way cool!

Sister of Jared.

declanr, you will be in my prayers... for you to receive answers to yours, and to be blessed. How awesome that you are willing to give up the coffee and alcohol for a time, to allow yourself the opportunity to develop the testimony! That clearly reveals a sincere heart! way cool!

Sister of Jared.

thank you very much sister of Jared! So far so good!

Not only that, I wish the church would get back to the basics of asking the Savior, whether or not Joseph Smith was truly His chosen prophet, and the church was His chosen church He setup in these last days, as the main answers to ask as a investigator. When we gain a testimony of the prophet, everything else just falls in-line to our core beliefs. These were the two questions I wanted answered when I investigated the church. By receiving these answers, everything in my life was dramatically changed. No more Tea or Coffee. No more alcohol. No more haunting the bad side of the town as Marines would do back then. :)