Do you believe in ghosts?

bodhigirlsmiles

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh:o

OK:huh:

Quantum field theory. Higher dimensions. We are simply an aspect of our being, like the top of an iceberg, but most of us invisible within our earthly existence. We can decide if we want to be good or bad, it's like an exam we're going through. We#re planning our next home, and it might be in the near of God or parsecs or dimensions away and in the outer darkness. Steven Hawking says, there might be no necessarity of one God as a creator, 'cause the universe might have come up by itself, from (higher dimensional) source or whatever. I say, there is one God, but not easily to find; and the faith is the key.

The place where Christ's soul went between His death and resurrection is also called paradise. Christ promised the thief on the cross that on that very day that he would be with Him in paradise. Its obvious that the thief on the cross was not with Christ in the tomb, nor were they ghosts wandering aimlessly on the earth, but the thief was with Him in paradise

Funnily enough you are in complete agreement with LeGrand Richards on that :)

I will not contend with you, whoever you are,

You ask a question that is seemingly innocent, but really you are looking to open a conversation to attack my faith.

Joseph Smith gave us instruction pertinent to the situation in which we find ourselves. He said, “Go in all meekness, in sobriety, and teach Jesus Christ and him crucified; not to contend with others on account of their faith, or systems of religion, but pursue a steady course. This I delivered by way of commandment, and all who observe it not, will [bring] persecution on their heads, while those who do [obey this instruction] shall always be filled with the Holy Ghost; this I pronounced as a prophecy” Pres. Hinckley Oct. conference 1989 "Contend Not With Others"

I would much rather shine a light than point a finger.

Funnily enough you are in complete agreement with LeGrand Richards on that :)

I will not contend with you, whoever you are,

You ask a question that is seemingly innocent, but really you are looking to open a conversation to attack my faith.

Joseph Smith gave us instruction pertinent to the situation in which we find ourselves. He said, “Go in all meekness, in sobriety, and teach Jesus Christ and him crucified; not to contend with others on account of their faith, or systems of religion, but pursue a steady course. This I delivered by way of commandment, and all who observe it not, will [bring] persecution on their heads, while those who do [obey this instruction] shall always be filled with the Holy Ghost; this I pronounced as a prophecy” Pres. Hinckley Oct. conference 1989 "Contend Not With Others"

I would much rather shine a light than point a finger.

Funny, I also can find no problem with this post.

I wonder what it is this person thinks we believe?

I agree with you.

Better to just spell out what we believe to be true

and let the hearer check it out or walk away from it.

"You can lead a horse to water. . ."

Actually you are wrong in this thing. You are looking at it from a modern Protestant point of view. But ancient Jews, such as Isaiah, saw things differently when it came to words. For example, both Jesus and Lucifer are called "Son of the morning." It is a serpent that deceived Adam and Eve and was cursed, but it was also a bronze serpent that saved ancient Israel - a symbol of Christ to be lifted up in order to save all those who would look upon him.

As I noted before, and you apparently either didn't read it or ignored it, Isaiah 29's use of familiar spirit is used in a different context than that in other parts of the scripture. Nephi quoted this and in formal Midrash style used it to explain his understanding of the future prophecies of his people. It is this use of the term "familiar spirit" that LeGrand Richards used. And he used it properly within the context. You, OTOH, are taking it out of context, as you are not considering these other issues I am bringing to the table.

Symbols often take on more than one meaning, especially when they pass through different cultures, etc. And if you are ignorant of previous uses or forms, then it definitely would look like an evil thing Elder Richards was doing. However, when viewed in context, we see it in its proper form.

The belief that familiar spirits in the Bible (including Isaiah 29), always refers to witchcraft or evil spirits is not a modern Protestant view. Nor is it a modern view. Mormonism believes that Isaiah 29 is a prophecy of the coming forth of the Book of Mormon. But please read Isaiah again carefully. This particular passage of scripture is a prediction of the destruction of Ariel, the city of Jerusalem. Jerusalem shall be as a captive, humbled to the dust. Her voice shall come from the earth as that of the spirit-charmers or necromancers (Isa 8:19) An appropriate retribution for Jerusalem, which consulted necromancers. There is nothing positive being said in these verses. The Book of Mormon's use of the term "Familiar Spirits" written in 2 Nephi 26:15-17 holds no support. Christianity and Judaism both are in agreement as to the correct translation and meaning of this scripture.

The belief that familiar spirits in the Bible (including Isaiah 29), always refers to witchcraft or evil spirits is not a modern Protestant view. Nor is it a modern view. Mormonism believes that Isaiah 29 is a prophecy of the coming forth of the Book of Mormon. But please read Isaiah again carefully. This particular passage of scripture is a prediction of the destruction of Ariel, the city of Jerusalem. Jerusalem shall be as a captive, humbled to the dust. Her voice shall come from the earth as that of the spirit-charmers or necromancers (Isa 8:19) An appropriate retribution for Jerusalem, which consulted necromancers. There is nothing positive being said in these verses. The Book of Mormon's use of the term "Familiar Spirits" written in 2 Nephi 26:15-17 holds no support. Christianity and Judaism both are in agreement as to the correct translation and meaning of this scripture.

I believe you may know that many utterances in the Old Testament and a few in the New have duel applications.

One, what the man proven to be a prophet meant when he said it and also another meaning that time proved out.

Such as those that "scholars" say refer to the coming birth, ministry and atonement of the Savior.

Right?

Thread closed: We're being tag teamed or a case of multiple identities.

Graig

The host name is: cpe-69-207-73-154.rochester.res.rr.com

Gina

ErikErik

7. Multiple accounts are not allowed and will result in all accounts being banned from the site.

Edited by pam