New Guy

TurkeyRun

Hi All - new guy on the board here...

As an introduction, I am a 40-something MWM, a California transplant to North Carolina, and currently of no particular religious affiliation. No religious upbringing when I was young, as an adult I have "spent time" as an agnostic, atheist, Southern Baptist, and "new-agey-neo-pagan". If I go to church at all these days, it is to the "Biker Church" where they are great and non-judgmental folks. While I enjoy my time there, I don't consider myself a member.

Several times during my life I had opportunity to travel for business to Utah. I always felt some kind of attraction to Salt Lake City and had never consiously connected it to the LDS Church, except for that really cool building in the middle of downtown. My only understanding of "Mormons" was the contact I had with folks I ran into through normal life events; school, neighbors, work, community groups, etc.

Last year, I spent a little over two weeks there and finally took the temple tour, and was almost in tears. I felt so warm, welcomed, and... I don't know how to describe it - comfortable, safe, "home" (?). I had no idea that Mormons were Christians and believed in Jesus Christ - imagine my surprise! Then, I put 2 and 2 together, Mormon = LDS = the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints! (duh). It was then that I also realized, there had been LDS people around me almost all my life... someone trying to tell me something?

My wife thinks I'm nuts and am risking getting "sucked into a bigoted, male dominated, white-guy cult", and scoffs at my interest. I really can't talk to her about any of my investigations and she's made it pretty clear that if any missionaries come to the house, she will laugh, scoff, and insult them right out the door (and me along with them)

So I've been reading a Book of Mormon, listen to BYU Radio and Classical 89 via the Internet while I work. I have lurked about a bit here reading, and thought it about time I poked my head up and said "hi".

I didn't mean to go on a long diatribe about my spiritual/social history, but thought I should let everyone know where I am coming from in case I say/ask something stupid. I promise to read before posting ;)

Thanks!

~bc

Hi All - new guy on the board here...

As an introduction, I am a 40-something MWM, a California transplant to North Carolina, and currently of no particular religious affiliation. No religious upbringing when I was young, as an adult I have "spent time" as an agnostic, atheist, Southern Baptist, and "new-agey-neo-pagan". If I go to church at all these days, it is to the "Biker Church" where they are great and non-judgmental folks. While I enjoy my time there, I don't consider myself a member.

Several times during my life I had opportunity to travel for business to Utah. I always felt some kind of attraction to Salt Lake City and had never consiously connected it to the LDS Church, except for that really cool building in the middle of downtown. My only understanding of "Mormons" was the contact I had with folks I ran into through normal life events; school, neighbors, work, community groups, etc.

Last year, I spent a little over two weeks there and finally took the temple tour, and was almost in tears. I felt so warm, welcomed, and... I don't know how to describe it - comfortable, safe, "home" (?). I had no idea that Mormons were Christians and believed in Jesus Christ - imagine my surprise! Then, I put 2 and 2 together, Mormon = LDS = the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints! (duh). It was then that I also realized, there had been LDS people around me almost all my life... someone trying to tell me something?

My wife thinks I'm nuts and am risking getting "sucked into a bigoted, male dominated, white-guy cult", and scoffs at my interest. I really can't talk to her about any of my investigations and she's made it pretty clear that if any missionaries come to the house, she will laugh, scoff, and insult them right out the door (and me along with them)

So I've been reading a Book of Mormon, listen to BYU Radio and Classical 89 via the Internet while I work. I have lurked about a bit here reading, and thought it about time I poked my head up and said "hi".

I didn't mean to go on a long diatribe about my spiritual/social history, but thought I should let everyone know where I am coming from in case I say/ask something stupid. I promise to read before posting ;)

Thanks!

~bc

Welcome and good luck on your journey.

Welcome, my Duh was phoning the Mission office when we first heard about the church and asking if Mormons celebrate Christmas. After a long pause the reply came back we are the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.

My Wife and I joined together but we are the only members in either family to do so. And yes we heard the same stuff. When the Missionaries explained the Priesthood I said it looked like a male dominated group. It took me time to realize it is not, both are equally important we just have different responsibilities under his Plan. My wife is not dominated by me or any male in our church, I know because I am still alive.

I told them they would never convert me, I did not believe in organized religion. I've been a member for 12 years and you are right there is something special about most of the people in it. When I took the time to learn and pray to the Lord about it it felt right, like I was where I should be.

That is the big thing for me, we take what we learn and pray to the Lord, not just accept someones interpretation of what is said. That is freedom.

Hope you enjoy the site and investigating.

TurkeyRun,

I was very touched by your story. I'm so glad to hear that you're on a spiritual journey, even though it's not such an easy thing in your family circumstances. My mother didn't like 'Mormons' so much, but she always loved me. I joined when young and I think my parents both realized that I was a stronger and happier person having the gospel of Jesus Christ in my life.

Call the missionaries (I have one serving in Georgia) or just show up....however the Spirit directs. My husband's family is from North Carolina. We have family and/or friends in Greensboro, Cary, and Asheboro (we lived there 12 years). Please let me know if you are in any of those places and would like a connection.

I hope your wife sees the love and light that comes into your heart as you let the Spirit direct and comfort you.

My prayers are with you. Seriously!