The Iron Rod

Lyle

so I have a question. i feel like living the gospel principals is much like climbing a rope, which for me is not imposible or hard, but takes lots of effort and requires much care. i see the iron rod like this vertical rope going to heaven. that i must pray and study each morning and in the evening or else my grip will slip, my hands trying to stop my backslidding are worn and hard from the previous times and still i cannot see any reason to give up and just fall. i feel like with good company climbing their own way up around me is comforting. that at times my progress is not happening that i must take a break to gather my strength to go on at times.

Does anybody else feel like their bleeding, scarred hands, weakening sore arms are any reason not to continue climbing especially when it has brought you from such a terrible place? What motivates you to keep going on? i know why i do, but what makes you want to keep going?

Guest Lexish

I know how you feel, all too often really. A few things help me to keep going. I'm going to enumerate, because... that just helps me keep track :)

1. Family: This is so "typical LDS", I know, but when I talk with my parents who have gone through so much, and I see how faith has kept them from giving up, it helps me. Recently I was able to talk with my grandfather and his wife, and hearing their testimonies made me more interested. My family's testimonies don't necessarily strengthen mine, rather more often they make me feel like I too can do that.

2. Pondering: Wow, doesn't that sound weird? Sometimes I will go for days or weeks just thinking things through in my mind, never speaking a word of the discomfort I feel. Without fail, at the end of each of these episodes, I come to the same conclusions. How could there really not be a God? And then, I am no worse than other people really, so of course God cares for me. This chain of thought continues until I reconcile myself with the Gospel (it is a silly process, one which I try to avoid by staying faithful, but life does that to us. Makes us silly, I mean.)

3. My Patriarchal Blessing: When I was younger and seriously questioning the church there were two things I always came back to with hope, and those were the truth of eternal families, and also that I could someday get a patriarchal blessing. I didn't get mine until I was 17, I just wasn't ready, but reading and rereading that paper, that personal scripture, has been a great blessing and strength in my life. I know that the things on there were inspired, even when my faith is being tested, and strive to become the person described therein.

4. Music: Even though when I am feeling faithless I want to listen to my A.F.I. and Seether, I know that if I sing a few hymns or listen to uplifting music I will sooner remember the things I love about the Gospel, and remember why I must keep working, or climbing the rope I guess.

Phew. :)

I am not to good at rope climbing. I have no problem with holding on to the Iron Rod. For me it is very easy to hold to the rod and follow it down the path that leads to the tree. Not even an incline on the path.

I am sure that there are those who have to work hard and struggle like climbing a rope or even climbing a long line of steep stairs.

Ben Raines

I know how you feel, all too often really. A few things help me to keep going. I'm going to enumerate, because... that just helps me keep track :)

1. Family: This is so "typical LDS", I know, but when I talk with my parents who have gone through so much, and I see how faith has kept them from giving up, it helps me. Recently I was able to talk with my grandfather and his wife, and hearing their testimonies made me more interested. My family's testimonies don't necessarily strengthen mine, rather more often they make me feel like I too can do that.

2. Pondering: Wow, doesn't that sound weird? Sometimes I will go for days or weeks just thinking things through in my mind, never speaking a word of the discomfort I feel. Without fail, at the end of each of these episodes, I come to the same conclusions. How could there really not be a God? And then, I am no worse than other people really, so of course God cares for me. This chain of thought continues until I reconcile myself with the Gospel (it is a silly process, one which I try to avoid by staying faithful, but life does that to us. Makes us silly, I mean.)

3. My Patriarchal Blessing: When I was younger and seriously questioning the church there were two things I always came back to with hope, and those were the truth of eternal families, and also that I could someday get a patriarchal blessing. I didn't get mine until I was 17, I just wasn't ready, but reading and rereading that paper, that personal scripture, has been a great blessing and strength in my life. I know that the things on there were inspired, even when my faith is being tested, and strive to become the person described therein.

4. Music: Even though when I am feeling faithless I want to listen to my A.F.I. and Seether, I know that if I sing a few hymns or listen to uplifting music I will sooner remember the things I love about the Gospel, and remember why I must keep working, or climbing the rope I guess.

Phew. :)

thank you i really enjoy this comment a lot. i didnt get my patriarchal blessing until i was twenty four. i didnt know i could i had been told i shouldnt get it till i am going on a mission and by the time the presssure came to go on a mission i had fallen away i hadnt found my testimony yet. i am a huge music fan i used to be a big rocker. but i played in an orchestra. when i found my testimony i found that the hymns bring the spirit very quickly are calming and are as the lord says "a prayer unto" Him. i leanred to play them and sing them more than the other music. definately helped in bringing the spirit.

and justice ...that whole having a kid thing seems easy enough....but heres my problem when i get married this year my wife already has two kids i have to be the father figure to them first.... that makes me very nervice but i know the lord is qualifying me

If you look at the other people in the dream, there isn't much option. It is either hold to the rod, or be lost and drowning. You could end up in a big building that will eventually cumble and crush you. So there are difficulties in every part of the process, but only one part of the dream includes the promise,

But learn that he who doeth the works of righteousness shall receive his reward, even peace in this world, and eternal life in the world to come. D&C 59:23

It doesn't get any better than that! The Gospel provides the peace. No other path offers that.

I am not to good at rope climbing. I have no problem with holding on to the Iron Rod. For me it is very easy to hold to the rod and follow it down the path that leads to the tree. Not even an incline on the path.

I am sure that there are those who have to work hard and struggle like climbing a rope or even climbing a long line of steep stairs.

Ben Raines

You must be one of the few. Personally I find myself as one of those that have to work hard and struggle. Perhaps I need to invest in a rosin bag, maybe my grip will improve, or maybe a treadmill.

and justice ...that whole having a kid thing seems easy enough....but heres my problem when i get married this year my wife already has two kids i have to be the father figure to them first.... that makes me very nervice but i know the lord is qualifying me

My wife had a son when I met her as well, Lyle.

It's not really a problem, because just taking on the responsibility of having a wife means you have to grow up and be a man. There's no room for selfishness when in a relationship. So, that alone will prepare you for being a father as much as anything else.

And, here's a statement that I didn't appreciate or truly understand until I had been married about 10 years...

Marriage is not a 50-50 proposal. If both do not give 100% it will fail.

From that we learn you must be supportive of your wife no matter what. If either one keeps in the back of their mind that divorce is an acceptable solution, then divorce is hardly escapable. I say "supportive of your wife no matter what" because I sincerely believe that the vast majority of divorces are the fault of the man.

As Lehi was about to die he gave his sons one last bit of counsel, which is good counsel for all men as they enter marriage as well:

2 Nephi 1:

21 ...arise from the dust, my sons, and be men, and be determined in one mind and in one heart, united in all things...