sacramentals

bodhigirlsmiles

Here are the prayers:

"O God, the Eternal Father, we ask thee in the name of thy Son, Jesus Christ, to bless and sanctify this bread to the souls of all those who partake of it; that they may eat in remembrance of the body of thy Son, and witness unto thee, O God, the Eternal Father, that they are willing to take upon them the name of thy Son, and always remember him, and keep his commandments which he hath* given them, that they may always have his Spirit to be with them. Amen."

"O God, the Eternal Father, we ask thee, in the name of thy Son, Jesus Christ, to bless and sanctify this wine [water] to the souls of all those who drink of it, that they may do it in remembrance of the blood of thy Son, which was shed for them; that they may witness unto thee, O God, the Eternal Father, that they do always remember him, that they may have his Spirit to be with them. Amen."

-Charley

i owe you an apology. i should have been more specific as to what i meant. by sacramentals, i do not mean the sacrament (communion) per se....

sacramentals as used by the catholic (and, in some cases, the orthodox church) are material objects or things (sacramentalia) set apart or blessed by the roman catholic church to indicate respect to the sacraments.

some examples of rituals that are sacramentals are making the sign of the cross, bowing, folding hands, the use of blessed ashes, exorcisms, etc.

or blessed and sacred objects such as bells, blessed fire, blessed salt, candles, crucifixes, holy oil, holy water, incense, medals, palm branches, wedding rings, etc.

are there any holy objects....sacramentals....within the lds church?

Well, in that sense, yes. I have blessed cars, food, and people, to name a few. As holders of God's priesthood, we bless almost anything which we have which is for our use. As we consecrate our lives more and more to His purpose, there is no reason not to pronounce blessings on the things we use to glorify Him and continue in His work. The difference may be that we don't bless these things and then nail them to a wall for all to see. We use the things we bless, for without their use, they are of no value to us or God.

i owe you an apology. i should have been more specific as to what i meant. by sacramentals, i do not mean the sacrament (communion) per se....

sacramentals as used by the catholic (and, in some cases, the orthodox church) are material objects or things (sacramentalia) set apart or blessed by the roman catholic church to indicate respect to the sacraments.

some examples of rituals that are sacramentals are making the sign of the cross, bowing, folding hands, the use of blessed ashes, exorcisms, etc.

or blessed and sacred objects such as bells, blessed fire, blessed salt, candles, crucifixes, holy oil, holy water, incense, medals, palm branches, wedding rings, etc.

are there any holy objects....sacramentals....within the lds church?

Great question, Bodhi-g! *I* didn't mistake your question, FWIW. There is an interesting word-play of sorts in the Catholic tradition between 'sacrament' and 'mystery' and 'ordinance'.

In the LDS Church, as you have seen, the only meaning of 'Sacrament' has to do with the Eucharist (which word we don't use in the LDS Church).

We have very little of what you are speaking, and the exceptions are exceptionally powerful, to me. FIRST -- the anointing oil we use when giving blessings. Outside the temple, this is used for healing of the sick and afflicted, by those holding the Melchizedek priesthood. SECOND -- the entire temple, 'in toto'. I can't think of any others.

(the chapels and meetinghouses are 'dedicated', but not in this sense. Only the temples are in the sense that you are asking. IMO.

HiJolly

Well, in that sense, yes. I have blessed cars, food, and people, to name a few. As holders of God's priesthood, we bless almost anything which we have which is for our use. As we consecrate our lives more and more to His purpose, there is no reason not to pronounce blessings on the things we use to glorify Him and continue in His work. The difference may be that we don't bless these things and then nail them to a wall for all to see. We use the things we bless, for without their use, they are of no value to us or God.

when these objects are blessed, does it sanctify them? in other words, does the act of pronouncing a blessing upon them render them sacred? they become, in essence, sacred objects. for example, do you have holy water that is, through blessing, sacred? or oil? or something of this nature?

Great question, Bodhi-g! *I* didn't mistake your question, FWIW. There is an interesting word-play of sorts in the Catholic tradition between 'sacrament' and 'mystery' and 'ordinance'.

In the LDS Church, as you have seen, the only meaning of 'Sacrament' has to do with the Eucharist (which word we don't use in the LDS Church).

We have very little of what you are speaking, and the exceptions are exceptionally powerful, to me. FIRST -- the anointing oil we use when giving blessings. Outside the temple, this is used for healing of the sick and afflicted, by those holding the Melchizedek priesthood. SECOND -- the entire temple, 'in toto'. I can't think of any others.

(the chapels and meetinghouses are 'dedicated', but not in this sense. Only the temples are in the sense that you are asking. IMO.

HiJolly

thank you for your answer! so, outside of holy oil and the temple, there are really no sacramentals, so to speak, in the lds church? is the oil itself sacred? is it a special type of oil, or can any oil be used? if the oil is lost, does it result in a loss of grace?

thank you for your answer! so, outside of holy oil and the temple, there are really no sacramentals, so to speak, in the lds church? is the oil itself sacred? is it a special type of oil, or can any oil be used? if the oil is lost, does it result in a loss of grace?

More great questions. You're making me think. :o:lol::huh:

Ok, the anointing oil is called "consecrated" oil, and is the highest quality virgin olive oil we can find. Within reason. The oil is 'blessed' and 'set apart' for the use of blessing the sick and afflicted via a priesthood blessing. It is treated as 'sacred', but I'm not aware of any loss of 'grace' per se, being involved. So in that context, perhaps it is not what you are speaking of.

So the only thing left is the temple, and all within it. That *is* sacred in the Church.

Perhaps it would be helpful if you would describe what a "loss of grace" means to you. Please?

Thanks,

HiJolly

More great questions. You're making me think. :o:lol::huh:

Ok, the anointing oil is called "consecrated" oil, and is the highest quality virgin olive oil we can find. Within reason. The oil is 'blessed' and 'set apart' for the use of blessing the sick and afflicted via a priesthood blessing. It is treated as 'sacred', but I'm not aware of any loss of 'grace' per se, being involved. So in that context, perhaps it is not what you are speaking of.

So the only thing left is the temple, and all within it. That *is* sacred in the Church.

Perhaps it would be helpful if you would describe what a "loss of grace" means to you. Please?

Thanks,

HiJolly

o now you are asking me questions?! that isn't allowed!! :lol::eek:

in this context, i would say that a loss of grace would be envoking negative consequences from deity. to loose an object such as these would be to render it unsanctified. such things would necessitate negative consequences.

(in case you are wondering why a buddhist would be remotely interested in either the lds church or the catholic church....LOL....my undergrad work was in english and comparative theology, with a heavy enphasis on soteriology.)

thank you again for all your thoughtful responses!

Something I can think of that is a big no-no to mistreat are garments. With the oil, if someone else was to open it and put it on their finger, it wouldn't be a big deal, but if someone was to put on garments that wasn't supposed to, that would be a big deal.

Once I had on a white under shirt and my husband thought it was one of his garment shirts and he flipped out. Which was interesting, since he is inactive and supposedly doesn't believe in God....

Something I can think of that is a big no-no to mistreat are garments. With the oil, if someone else was to open it and put it on their finger, it wouldn't be a big deal, but if someone was to put on garments that wasn't supposed to, that would be a big deal.

would this be a big deal for the person who did it? for the person to whom the garments belonged? to god? to the church?

when these objects are blessed, does it sanctify them? in other words, does the act of pronouncing a blessing upon them render them sacred? they become, in essence, sacred objects. for example, do you have holy water that is, through blessing, sacred? or oil? or something of this nature?

Do you believe all life, whether it is a bug to human are basically Intelligences?

o now you are asking me questions?! that isn't allowed!! :lol::eek:

in this context, i would say that a loss of grace would be envoking negative consequences from deity. to loose an object such as these would be to render it unsanctified. such things would necessitate negative consequences.

(in case you are wondering why a buddhist would be remotely interested in either the lds church or the catholic church....LOL....my undergrad work was in english and comparative theology, with a heavy enphasis on soteriology.)

thank you again for all your thoughtful responses!

If I spill the consecrated oil, or accidentally through it way, there is no negative consequence.

So that leaves us with the temples. I think that's appropriate.

Bodhigirlsmiles, if I recall correctly you live in the Salt Lake Valley. Have you made arrangements to take a tour through the Draper temple this month? I might have an available opening for one more person... If so, would you like to go with my family? We're going next monday 01/19 at 1:40PM. It is a rare opportunity!

Reservations (if available) are at Open House Reservations or 1-800-537-6181

HiJolly

We call them ordinances. Our ordinances include the following:

- Blessing of babies

- Baptism by immersion for the remission of sins at 8+ years

- Reception of the Gift of the Holy Ghost by the laying on of hands by those with authority

- Priesthood ordination

- Temple ordinances

We call them ordinances. We have required ordinances, and those not required which are given to bless us in our daily walk.

The required ones include:

- Baptism by immersion for the remission of sins at 8+ years of age

- Receiving the Gift of the Holy Ghost by the laying on of hands by those in authority

- Priesthood ordination

- Temple ordinances:

- Baptism for the dead - done by proxy for those who have not received baptism

- Endowment - training and covenants given to prepare us to enter God's presence

- Sealings - marriage for time and all eternity

Non-required ordinances:

- blessing of babies

- Sacrament, or communion of water and bread to remember the sacrifice of Christ

- Patriarchal Blessings - a specially ordained high priest is called to give revelatory blessings to individuals

- Priesthood blessings - blessings given by priesthood holders for healing sick and afflicted

There are a few others, like dedication of graves, etc., but the above are the main ordinances we have.

If I spill the consecrated oil, or accidentally through it way, there is no negative consequence.

So that leaves us with the temples. I think that's appropriate.

Bodhigirlsmiles, if I recall correctly you live in the Salt Lake Valley. Have you made arrangements to take a tour through the Draper temple this month? I might have an available opening for one more person... If so, would you like to go with my family? We're going next monday 01/19 at 1:40PM. It is a rare opportunity!

Reservations (if available) are at Open House Reservations or 1-800-537-6181

HiJolly

if i am able to get out of work, i would love to go! that was very kind of you to offer. :)

would this be a big deal for the person who did it? for the person to whom the garments belonged? to god? to the church?

I think it would be a big deal for someone to see their garments, a symbol, desecrated. I don't think God would approve of (not saying I know what God thinks, wish I knew more of how He thinks) someone knowingly parading around in garments when they are not supposed to be wearing them. The church teaches us to take care of them, I don't think they are supposed to be a nonchalant kind of thing. I've known people who hang their laundry up to dry to keep the garments inside to dry. Some, not all, women change in private areas or a toilet stall while at gyms rather than the open place for everyone. When thrown away, I THINK we are supposed to make it so they can't be worn again (cut them up) Can anyone verify this? I've heard that, but I don't remember where.

Edited by Alana

great question! by "intelligences" do you mean having a measure of intelligent thought, or, rather, do you refer to sentience?

Anything that is bonded together by the action of light [of Christ]. Whether it be a atom, a rock, a bug, a fish, a flower, a tree, an animal, or even human? Some have greater awareness than others.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hemidakota Posted Image

Do you believe all life, whether it is a bug to human are basically Intelligences?

Bodhigirlsmiles: great question! by "intelligences" do you mean having a measure of intelligent thought, or, rather, do you refer to sentience?

Although not fully explained by Joseph Smith, we gather that "intelligence" equates to "light and truth" (see D&C 88, 93).

Prior to this life, we lived in God's presence as his spirit children. He created our spirits from intelligence. Some members believe that intelligences were beings of thought and understanding.

Many LDS scholars, however, believe that intelligence is pure matter from which all things are created. D&C 88 tells us that the "light of Christ" penetrates all space, and is the power by which the sun, moon and stars operate (remain in their orbits, burn, whatever).

Imagine if a basic intelligence were an atom. It has basic properties and characteristics. An oxygen atom can be used for breathing, for example. All atoms of a kind have the same properties, and so are a specific form of intelligence. Then, when combined with two hydrogen atoms, an oxygen atom becomes a water molecule. Suddenly the new intelligence has more capabilities. The sum of the parts is not equal to the whole. Water has new properties that neither oxygen nor hydrogen atoms have alone. These molecules can then be combined with others to form higher levels of intelligence.

We eventually get to a point where the intelligence obtains individuality in its organization: a spirit. Later, as we desired to develop more like God is, we gained physical bodies and became higher levels of intelligence still. The goal is to become like God, who is the highest form of intelligence of all.

In this way, all creation is God's creation and equally loved by him. A bug's creation is from the same or similar intelligence as I'm created. Both of us can obtain heaven.