Home Education Advice

Elgama

OK we are now doing things more formally with Ellie as she likes it that way, so we are sitting at the table working for 1 hour a day or so, think is I need things to do with Gubby (my 2 year old son) at the same time things to keep him busy as he gets jelous. I would rather get him involved as my intial plan had been to home ed when he was napping but think it may be better to have him as part of it and home ed when the new baby is napping instead. Any ideas? He loves sorting and anything he has to work out

-Charley

Do you have a jar or box of buttons? Sorting by different attributes is really good. He could sort them by color, then by size, then by shape.

Let him draw or write as he wishes - we called them the kids' "MIMs" (Most Important Marks) and hung them on the fridge. Kids get to the letters much later than 2 (asking for specific letters too soon isn't good).

Does he like to count? You can have him count out so many items, then have him give you so many. "Gubby, get five cars. Will you give me three cars? How many do you have now? Look, I'm going to give you one more. Count the cars you have now." (I don't know if your little guy is an older two, or just turned two...). If he's not counting independently yet, you can count with him just for fun, using items. Teachers call this one-to-one correspondence or something, LOL...this is how kids come to understand what each number means.

I haven't home schooled, but I have worked with my kids quite a bit, and I work in a school, LOL. You're so smart to include both kids - they'll inspire each other!

to be honest because he doesn't speak much part of my problem is I don't know if he is an old two or not lol - I think he is he understands everything. He can count to 3 because when I got 1 when he is in trouble I get 2, 3 back lol but we have no regular words except Mum, Dad, Doozy, cat, Gubby (cross between Dog and Lucy)., and Ellie

He loves drawing but gets fed up............ just not sure if maybe I should let him nap and try again in a few months

-Charley

Let's see...

At the sink or in the bathtub, pouring water from different sizes of cups into cups of other sizes is fun and lays the groundwork for a number of math concepts. Play dough is wonderful for fun and for developing the hands. The Children's Songbook (available through Church distribution, and on CD to boot...I think the songs are online also) has a lot of fun fingerplay type songs. Two year olds will generally do the same song over and over and over and not get bored of it (brace yourself!).

I would just make a number of materials available to him and see what he does! Two is a great age for experimenting!

ooh could get the keyboard out, he spends most of his days standing at the sink, in the bath or shower lol. and might try him with playdough when he stops teething he had got good about not sticking everything in his mouth but is back to doing it right now, he has regressed a bit with being ill but I am also thinking a box with sand in might work

Thanks Nancy

-Charley

as a homeschooling mom of 7 ages 11 mos to 10 years getting him involved as use to routine now will prove helpful later

my just now 2 year old has her own folder which she works out of.. she has a pencil and papers.. she LOVES doing school work and I she is part of the group... since she likes "writing" she usually does that.. I incorporate each child into the theme being taught.. Monday's we do math, Tuesdays reading comp etc.. each at their own level

I have taught counting with m&m's or mini marshmallows and they can eat them when done.

you said he is not very verbal.. is he shy or does he have hearing issues maybe? working with him on songs and vocabulary would be a good idea for that.. You can link the two children work together .. the little ones learn vowel songs when we are doing phonics as a group.

you said he is not very verbal.. is he shy or does he have hearing issues maybe? working with him on songs and vocabulary would be a good idea for that.. You can link the two children work together .. the little ones learn vowel songs when we are doing phonics as a group.

no nothing appears to be wrong his hearing is excellent, his comprehension great and when he needs one we get a very clear word (like crawling into bed and announcing in his Dad's ear MOVE) its quite frustrating by age of 1 my daughter could speak in sentences and by my son's age I was having detailed conversations with her. I think he is just like his Dad who didn't speak much until he was 3 or 4 and at 30 still doesn't speak much. Part of the problem is my son can communicate very well without words on his own terms.

-Charley

• 2 weeks later...

My oldest didn't talk until he was about 3, and then it just was BOOM. Very articulate. My second son was talking earlier.

Anyway, I'm homeschooling kindergarten this year, and for my 2 year old, he loves to participate. I have preschool workbooks and coloring books. Usually he just scribbles, but he's also answering many of the questions (Which one is different?).

I love the idea about counting with M&M's... I have a little chocolate fiend! :lol:

My two year old likes having a notebook like her brother. She got to pick out which color and knows that her name is on it. Sometimes I'll write a letter on the page, tell her what it is, and ask her to draw it too. Of course it just ends up being scribbles, but she likes it. I also like doing stuff with glitter, and glitter glue. I buy a lot of art supplies at garage sales, so we have a lot of felt and, oh yarn! she loves yarn! We'll cut it into little peices and she'll lay it all out. Or pretend to fish with it, then talk about animals and such. My son at that age really liked clay. I like modeling clay that doesn't dry better than playdoh, it stays together. My daughter like moon sand, they have recipes online for it. She also likes beans, she'll take all of them from one jar and put them in an other. Or sorting different beans. For my four year old we'll have an egg carton with a number in the bottom of each section and he needs to count out that many beans to put in there. Hmm, her other favorite things are puzzles, paint, trying to get a foam piece that I sqeezed into a jar that has a small opening (work those fingers!) For the little boy I watch who is almost 2, he likes different things. He can't handle paint and pens or crayons much because he eats EVERYTHING. I give him stuff to just destroy. We'll take paper and I'll show him how to rip it, and just have him shred and shred. When it's warm we go outside and get bowls of water to pour into each other, and sometimes I'll put a drop of food coloring in them and then mix the colors. The boy I watch likes to feel things, more than to make things do something. So, mostly I just let him explore things around him and talk to him about them.

Best of luck!

• 2 months later...

Hi! I just joined lds.net and Im so excited to see this post! I am a homeschooling momma to three, and I was just about to post on my site some fun ideas for the littles, while the older ones work!

Visit my site at www.ldsforeverfamilies.com and LDS Forever Families - Home the page with activities for little ones will be on the webs.com site.

Hope this helps!!!

What a fun thing!!!

Love, Jaelle