Came here seeking information and guidance.

lovrie

I'm an 18 year old female, senior in high school.

I was raised in the Church of Christ, a relatively new denomination of Christianity and I have always "gone through the motions" to please my family as far as religion is concerned. There have been several times where I have felt moved by the Holy Spirit, but I have always wondered about other churches and which one is the true church.

This year I met a wonderful person who is a member of the LDS church. He became a good friend to me quickly and we realized that we had feelings for each other. I was going through a really difficult time when I met him and I wrote him a long letter telling him that he was a "light" to me in a time of darkness.

He revealed to me something I cannot take my mind off of. He told me my letter really affected him and strengthened his faith. I asked how, and he told me that in California as a child he received a "blessing" (I don't know what that is/means) and it said that he was going to be a light to someone who was in a period of darkness. He moved to North Carolina a year ago and a completely different person delived a blessing that said that he was going to be a light. The term came up twice. And in my letter I told him that same thing.

This can not be a coincidence. We realize that we can't date, since he has strict parents and I'm not an LDS. But I can't get this out of my head and I've been doing research about his beliefs as much as I can. I'm interested in this church, because I find the members to be anything BUT hypocrites (what I've seen in my church.) I don't have any specific questions, but I wanted to share my story with LDS members, and see what others thought.

That's a wonderful experience Lovrie. While I know some people share stories like this wanting an outrageous reaction or to "wow" people, it still doesn't change the fact that I know people are put in our lives at certain times and places for certain reasons. My bishop reaffirmed that to me recently while I was visiting with him. We need to be more quick to recognize the Lord's hand in our lives and be more willing to be an instrument in his hands to bring about his purposes in the lives of others as well. You may not know the reason you were but in each other's lives for a very long time or maybe not even in this life, but even if you end up being no more than dear friends who are there in times of need for each other, know that you both have a loving Heavenly Father who knows every bit of your lives and loves to bless his children with things that we often write off as being just a happy coincidence. Count your blessings, be thankful for each other and remember that you never know what the future holds in store for you both.

Lovrie:

Welcome to the site. I hope you continue to seek thru the Spirit the truth and the plan of your Heavenly Father for you and your life. I am glad that young man (your friend) was an example to you and a support in your time of need.

His parent may not want him to date ANYONE, not just you, at this stage. He may be getting ready to go and serve a mission. Dating currently may be a distraction since for two years he would need to concentrate on serving the Lord and a restless heart because of love left behind would not help. Only time will tell.

Be kind and respectful to your family. They also want what they think is best for you. The trick is to discern what God wants you do and where He would have you go. And that is up to you.

Welcome

That was great advice.

Right now he is simply a cherished friend and I'm completely happy with that. I really admire his desire to listen and obey his parents wishes (since they do know what's best for him.)

I have been deep in thought and prayer and will continue to pray in my search for truth. Thank you for the welcome!