Likening the Scriptures

cjmaldrich

Does anyone else have a hard time likening the scriptures?

I've been studying the New Testament daily and reading the Book of Mormon daily (not so much studying though) for the last few months and it's really been a great blessing on my life. I probably average at least 45-60 minutes a day on studying or reading. One problem that I've found is that I have a hard time applying a lot of things to my own life. I can tell you all about what's going on historically in Acts or a lot of the Pauline Epistles or even parts of the gospels... But what bearing it has on me in 2009, not so much... Certain things here and there jump out at me and really help me out, but I want to develop a talent for likening whatever I read to myself.

I admire the people in Sunday school who can read any off-the-wall scripture and get some useful inspiration from it. I read the article in the March Ensign about this subject, and tried to apply the suggestions last night, but to no avail. I spent an hour pondering a single verse and trying to liken it to myself.... Then I fell asleep...

Does anyone have any suggestions? Any other people out there who seem to have a hard time turning from "what's going on with Peter?" to "what does this verse mean for me and my life?"

One thing that helps me:

Whenever a conversation is happening (as is often the case with the theological discourses found in the Book of Mormon), I put myself in the recipient's shoes and read the verse, out loud, substituting my name for the stated recipient's. It helps me personalize some of the best advice found in the scriptures.

Another method is studying different sources about the material- although it seems this tactic might not work so well for you. Personally, I find the best source (for me) of learning about facts pertinent to scriptural teachings is through the filter of a faithful member. I make good use of my iPod and the iTunes podcasts, and have subscribed to many of the podcasts that are recordings of devotionals and talks given by various GA's, BYU professors, and others.

Another is writing down specific concepts that you see talked about and connecting them with other concepts. My institute teacher talks about doctrinal constellations: groups of doctrine that have meaning in themselves, but gain greater meaning when seen in connection to other doctrines (for example the doctrines of the Fall, the Atonement, eternal progression, the importance of family, etc.). Or, you could make doctrinal 'webs' with arrows pointing from one doctrine to another and explaining the relationship. In the same vein, you could write out doctrines talked about in various scriptures and work over in your mind how that doctrine fits into that scripture, its importance when viewed with other doctrines discussed, etc.

Good luck!

I find forgetting its scripture and reading the story helps, one thing I am very greatful for is having a background that means I know the Bible stories and instead of studying intellectually I get the bigger picture, then within that individual scriptures stand out. Listening to General Conference regularly also helps I find 2 or 3 talks a day and letting those messages sink in allows me to find those messages in the scriptures

-Charley

Well, it's a gift of the spirit for sure.

I'd say keep studying and desiring this gift. Those who can read any scripture and seem to apply it to themselves and us today (I have been given this gift as well) first have to learn the scriptures pretty thoroughly.

It seems off the wall and spur of the moment on their part, but it's really not. Those ideas entered their heads long ago while reading and pondering. In class the spirit lets them recall feelings and impressions they received long ago, or even last week. In some cases, the inspiration can come in class, but I'd say most of the time they are stating something they learned before the class began.

One way I began likening scriptures to me is by learning about how it was being applied to them in their day, the day they spoke it. Once you discover it's original application you discover that today is not very different, and you find it applies nearly the same way today.

Then, all you have to do is be wise enough to include yourself in how it applies today. Many people see how scriptures apply to others, but not themselves. :)

Then, all you have to do is be wise enough to include yourself in how it applies today. Many people see how scriptures apply to others, but not themselves. :)

I'd like to add my testimony that that's true. I'm a very judgmental person by nature; the way I have taught myself humility and my own 'nothingness', as the scriptures call it, is by realizing that the same judgments I could use on others could also be used- fairly- against me. From then it was a fine line I learned to walk between judging principles instead of people, and then finally the ability to judge my own actions in a fair manner.

It should be noted that those 'judgments' of which I spoke worked opposite of what one might initially think. I judged others to be perfect, and myself to be utterly worthless. Ironically, it was the realization of my 'nothingness' before God (see Moses 1:10) that began the road to discovering my own self-worth. From there I began to see others as imperfect- yet still children of God worthy of my love and respect- and myself as imperfect- yet still a child of God worthy of self-love and self-respect.

Sometimes, I have to create a fictional character in my head and judge him to learn new doctrinal concepts. The good thing about that is I can make him as good or bad as I want, and also be as harsh or light in my judgment as I think proper, and still do no one harm.

Thanks for the great replies! Actually, yesterday I read all of these and sat down to prepare my home teaching message... The first article I turned to in the Ensign was on studying the scriptures. It's a shorter article than the one in the March Ensign, but seems to be better for me.

One thing that I thought of while preparing was trying to find examples in the scriptures of people in certain situations. Since the particular situation I was looking for (marriage gone awry) isn't really discussed, I ended up using the story of Alma the Younger and likening it to the situation (Alma being the spouse, the church being a marriage). It was pretty much great!!

Of course that still leaves the issue of getting these things to click when I'm just doing my daily study and trying to liken what I'm reading to myself... A different situation... But I guess it'll come to me soon enough.

I would like to add some ideas concerning studying the scriptures.

1. Read the scriptures from cover to cover => I believe this is how most read the scriptures and has been a spiritual experience for me but I believe this is the least revealing and yields the least understanding of spiritual things among the various methods of study.

2. Study the scriptures by topic. => For example do a computer search on electronic copies of scriptures for topics like Baptism and washings or cleansings. I find this a better method of getting to the heart of subjects than the cover to cover approach.

3. Study by considering types and shadows. => This I have found to be one of the most rewarding ways to study scriptures and like pealing a union there seems to be endless “layers” of understanding and revelation. This type of study considers each topic or subject in scripture to be more than just a historical record but a link to a very important principle. For example consider the story of Joseph in Egypt. The type and shadow we have is someone making a covenant with G-d being rejected by his brothers (that are not loyal to their covenants) and being sold. Joseph then suffers many trials and setbacks but finds favor among the gentiles but never forgetting his covenants. How G-d will restore his covenant people that have been rejected by their “family” and unite the gentiles and covenant peoples willing to love and serve G-d.

4. Study by literary content. => This includes the study of ancient languages, history and cultures. This is an ever changing study as various projects are opened, discovered and studied (Like the discovery of the Dead Sea Scriptures and scrolls). For example we have the various literary poetic Hebrew forms like the Chiasm, the Bifid Structure, covenantal benediction, covenantal malediction, the parable, prophetic lament, woe oracle, lawsuit, priestly sermon, Parallelism, Rhetorical Connections, Metaphors, and last but not least – Personal revelation.

The Traveler

Another way I have studied that yielded great fruit for me is to study and look for the personality traits of the people in the stories. This is where Nephi, son of Lehi, gained a hero status to me. Captain Moroni, Alma, Mormon, Moroni, King Benjamin, and many, many others all grew in my eyes. I found many traits I'd like to add to my own personality.

I like to read all about the context of a passage, and put myself in the shoes of the first ones to hear the passage. I want to understand what it meant in the times and for the people who first received the message. It's an eye-opener and quite convicting sometimes. Other times mercy comes through that isn't apparent when read in a 21st century perspective.

Another way I have studied that yielded great fruit for me is to study and look for the personality traits of the people in the stories. This is where Nephi, son of Lehi, gained a hero status to me. Captain Moroni, Alma, Mormon, Moroni, King Benjamin, and many, many others all grew in my eyes. I found many traits I'd like to add to my own personality.

this I agree with as helping it makes them very personal as well and developed in me a particular love for certain prophets Mormon is my favourite he is very much a call a spade a spade type of guy which I identify with

-Charley

Does anyone else have a hard time likening the scriptures?

I've been studying the New Testament daily and reading the Book of Mormon daily (not so much studying though) for the last few months and it's really been a great blessing on my life. I probably average at least 45-60 minutes a day on studying or reading. One problem that I've found is that I have a hard time applying a lot of things to my own life. I can tell you all about what's going on historically in Acts or a lot of the Pauline Epistles or even parts of the gospels... But what bearing it has on me in 2009, not so much... Certain things here and there jump out at me and really help me out, but I want to develop a talent for likening whatever I read to myself.

I admire the people in Sunday school who can read any off-the-wall scripture and get some useful inspiration from it. I read the article in the March Ensign about this subject, and tried to apply the suggestions last night, but to no avail. I spent an hour pondering a single verse and trying to liken it to myself.... Then I fell asleep...

Does anyone have any suggestions? Any other people out there who seem to have a hard time turning from "what's going on with Peter?" to "what does this verse mean for me and my life?"

Here is some advice I gave to another poster recently -- along the same lines as this question (or so it seems to me):

Our family did the same thing when I was growing-up and it was just as boring.

I think for children -- it is probably more important the example you set. They will remember very little of what you say, although some things will stick.

Whatever you do, don't stop, even if it is boring.

For me, meaningful scripture study did not happen until years later. It began when I actually started thirsting for it for myself. Growing up in the church, a lot of it gets pushed on you. Most of it was not my choice. I hadn't experienced enough life yet to know how to apply most of the concepts to myself, or to hunger or thirst for the Lord's peace (yet).

No matter what your age -- reading the scriptures is only enjoyable, and meaningful, when the person reading is seeking a relationship with Christ. Reading out of pure duty yields very little to almost no benefit.

Growing-up -- it was impossible for me to hunger and thirst for scripture study. Whenever I did it, it was always because I had to.

Now when I read, I read because I WANT to. That is what makes the difference.

Elder Bednar gave an excellent talk on different methods of studying the scriptures:

CES Fireside 2007 - Bednar

Another tool I have used over the years is personalization of the scriptures.

1 Now behold, a marvelous work is about to come forth among the children of men.

WHAT MAKES THIS WORK MARVELOUS, TOM?

Your brand of love is marvelous, Lord. The knowledge I have inside of me now that ANYONE can have what you and I have together! The Peace. The Communion. The Protection. The Guidance. The Inspiration!

It is a stone rolling forth, formed "without hands" - through the power of the unseen world...the Light of Christ!

2 Therefore, [TOM, WHEN YOU] embark in [MY] service, see that [YOU] serve [ME] with all your heart, might, mind and strength, that [YOU] may stand blameless before [ME] at the last day.

This makes me swallow hard. I feel so inadequate.

3 Therefore, if [YOU] have desires to serve [ME] [YOU] are called to the work;

4 For behold the field is white already to harvest; and lo, [iF YOU] thrust in [YOUR] sickle with [YOUR] might, [YOU] lay up in store that [YOU] perish not, but bringeth salvation to [YOUR] soul;

5 And faith, hope, charity and love, with an eye single to the glory of God, [iS HOW I] qualify [YOU] for the work.

6 [TOM] remember faith, virtue, knowledge, temperance, patience, brotherly kindness, godliness, charity, humility, diligence [ALL FLOW FROM ME AS GIFTS].

7 Ask, and [YOU] shall receive [WHAT YOU NEED TO ACCOMPLISH MY WORK]; knock, and it shall be opened unto you. Amen.

I hope some of these ideas help.

Tom

To read the entire thread where this came from, visit this link:

http://www.lds.net/forums/general-discussion/18051-advice-meaningful-family-scripture-study.html