Not marrying in the temple

TheyCallMeMom

I do not know why a couple would not get married in the temple if both are temple worthy, unless it was in consideration of other family members who were not able to attend a temple wedding. I, however, would not and did not put other family before my wife. Therefore, I had 0 family at my wedding in the Nauvoo temple. Didn't have any at the reception either, but they were all invited.

Guest missingsomething

I knew a couple who were married but not in temple because the husband had a word of wisdom issue that kept him from the temple but he was working on it.

I also knew another couple - they were not members long enough...

Regardless of worthiness, I was going to have to wait at least a year to get a recommend (I was newly baptized). Chances are, it would have been closer to three years before we were sealed for reasons not related to our worthiness (just a preference of our ward).

I wasn't going to make our son live in a single parent home for the first three years of his life, just so we could have a temple marriage. It was either we got married in a civil union, or we lived apart until we could get a temple marriage. Considering the time frame, we chose the former. If it had been a matter of worthiness we probably would have waited, but it was really more a matter of circumstance.

This is an interesting topic, as we get asked a lot why we aren't sealed yet. I've heard of a couple of different reasons that didn't relate to worthiness issues.

A big one in this area is people who come from non-lds families who don't get any support in their faith. They want to wait to get sealed in the hopes that one day their families will support them and be there in the visitors center or at the reception or something after the sealing.

Another young couple in my ward is married, but not sealed. They were engaged but he got deployed to Iraq earlier than expected, and they couldn't get in to be sealed before his deployment. So they got a civil marriage before he left. He just got back a couple of weeks ago, so they went for two years without getting sealed, and it had nothing to do with worthiness.

One thing that i've heard of is people being nervous about the endowment ceremony and what responsibility in entails in regard to our eternal being. So they put it off, opting for the less intimidating civil ceremony.

I dunno, those are just the reasons i've been exposed to.

Yeah I've heard of couples doing what I would call a "trial marriage" haha where they get married civily and test it out to see if it's really what they want so they have an easier way out if they change their minds.

I've heard of that too. Which saddens me.

Keep in mind that it's a small number of people who do that. We've had certain members of our ward accuse us of doing the same thing (which was absolutely not the case).