availability of LDS-KJV Bible/TG

richlittell

Spurred from another thread, and as I couldn't find anything on the internet, just how many language versions are there of the official LDS KJV Bible (with cross-reference, Topical Guide, and/or Bible dictionary)?

I'm in Taiwan, and my wife says her Bible is an official Traditional Chinese LDS Bible, And as far as I can tell, (her English is not good and I don't speak Chinese), there are cross-references and maybe a topical guide or Bible dictionary, not sure.

I know the church has just released a Spanish LDS-Bible (available in September).

New Spanish Bible -LDS Newsroom

I know we have hundreds of BOM language editions, but what is the status of the LDS-KJV of the Bible, or at least the avialability of the cross-references, Topical Guide, and/or Bible Dictionary in other languages. Does anybody know?

I don't know about the Topical Guide and Bible Dictionary, but the church doesn't translate the Bible itself into other languages. The church usually picks the most popular version, but has changed official versions when doctrinal issues are not translated well or when the Book of Mormon language translation is not fitting with the Bible translation (like using a modern language translation as opposed to a versoin with "thee" and "thou")

The church has also re-translated the Book of Mormon to better fit the style of the language's traditional Biblical style.

By definition the KJV or King James Version of the Bible is English. Currently the LDS church has not developed any other versions of the bible in any other languages other than the Spanish version soon to be released. I do not know how many languages the LDS topical guide and bible dictionary has been translated.

BTW – I have attended the LDS church in Tainan while doing consulting in Taiwan. Of all the places I have attended church I am most impressed with the Taiwan Chinese members. I am sure that your wife is a blessing unto you.

The Traveler

The Spanish one is an OFFICIAL Church Translation.

"β€œIt contains new chapter headings, footnotes, cross-references to all standard works, and other study helps that will enhance understanding of the gospel of Jesus Christ.” [see article referenced above]

Basically, it would be something akin to our LDS-KJV Bible, but in Spanish.

I think in other languages, the church has an official recommendation of the Bible for each country to use, but it is not authored or translated by the church itself and doesn't have the cross-references to the other standard works--but I'm not entirely sure. Anyone else who has more details, feel free to chime in.

Edited by richlittell

With some further investigation, my wife and I figured out that the officially sponsored Bible for LDS in Taiwan is produced by the Hong Kong Bible Society; so that means that the church can only recommend it or sale it from our distribution centers but that they can not add or detract from it because of copyright issues, so there is no LDS footnotes or cross-references, TG or Bible dictionary. She also said that so far as she knows, there is no source or other publications for cross-referencing and nothing like the Topical Guide (but then, maybe she's not up on that).