New Alternative Swear Words

Liber

Anatess. That's crazy. I remember lots of kids using the F word and we would tell them what it meant.

Another thing I noticed in the Philippines the Negro is not disparaging. It is used just like Americans would use "black person." Here if you called someone Negro you would get beat up.

My word most common word used to be "Feck"(derived from the "F" word).

Now I mainly use "Fierfek," and "Osik." Both a from Star Wars books.

So, now, I've been teaching the kids that the word used is not as important as the intent of the usage. So, before you swear, check your emotions and see if you can neutralize the emotion internally before letting a word out... so now, they would say, "check your emotions!" as a swear word!

I agree with you on this completely.

IMO those who constantly use swear words have a limited vocabulary. Rather than think up new swear words, why don't you eliminate them completely, and that includes frack, gosh, heck, poo, etc. You will end up with a richer vocabulary and you won't be chasing the Holy Ghost away every time you open your mouth!

FYI my husband just bought the complete set of Battlestar Galatica on DVD- after watching just one DVD I told Husband that he can watch the rest without me. There is just too much cussing and negative verbiage being bandied about for me. I can feel the Holy Ghost leaving me when I watch it.

I used to say: "Oh my gosh!" But a few times I said that someone mistook the gosh for taking the Lord's name in vain. I now say: "Oh my heck," instead. Hopefully one day I will get such control of my tongue that I won't curse at all.

As it reads in James Chapter 3: "Behold, we put bits in the horses’ mouths, that they may obey us; and we turn about their whole body . . . Even so the tongue is a little member, and boasteth great things. Behold, how great a matter a little fire kindleth." -- James 3:3 & 5

Some of the best words have come from folks looking for something to swear with without having to use the real thing.

Frack, of course. And Smeg (from Red Dwarf...i.e. What a stupid smegging thing to do!)

And from a movie called Johnny Dangerously, the following:

Icehole corksucking fargin bastage!

And such nifty bits as "my sainted aunt agatha's greasy bloomers" and "you horrible little man, you!"

On days when I manage to restrain myself to the "Diet Coke" swearings, the following are what I frequently use:

Frig! Frack! Frag!

GrrrrRRRRAAGHhh! (Usually when I'm dangerously close to slipping into "stuff that would make a sailor blush" swearing.)

Farffernaffy! Nerf-herder! Friggle!

Durn it! Darn it! Dang it! Daggnabbit!

Awww, SLAG! Useless sack of protoplasm!

...and many more. :lol:

These are forms of profanity because of their use. Everyone knows what they are replacing and I see they are common on TV. Is that where we want to get our values?

"Profanity is the striving of a small mind to express itself". How about "ouch" or "whoops"? I would rather a child hear that than the aforementioned:)