Child wants to learn how to read :)

Dee23

:DHello to you all! My dear son, Israel age 4 , has asked me many times if I could help him learn how to read! Yikes! I am a full time student and work part time and am a single mom, but highly value education and I have a strong desire for my children to love learning. I was wondering if there is anything that I could do to help him. He know's his letters, their sounds and does some blending--but I want something that's fun for him and exciting! Thank you!

Buy BOB books! Amazon.com sells them. They are very simple books that help a child build confidence in reading. You have to have the child read the books in order, because different sounds and concepts are introduced with each consecutive book. The first one has very simple two-word sentences, with no word more than three letters in length. My daughter was like your son, and knew her letters and their sounds, and it only took a little coaching to teach her how to put them together into a word. She had the first book read through within 15 minutes! It was such an exciting moment for her, that SHE read a WHOLE book all by herself. It made her eager to move onto the next one! I give her high-5's when she sounds out a new word, or finishes a multi-word sentence, or an entire book. She asks me to let her read her BOB books.

Also, read to him. Go to the library and find books that he'll enjoy and read to him everyday. The books he can't read, but can understand, will help him understand and appreciate language. Point out words similar to the words he learns to read, help him hear similarities. Rhyme words. Play with Nursery Rhymes, simple poetry, sing. He can label things when he starts reading so he can recognize the words in context. Just have fun!

We're working on child number two with this book:

Teach your Child to Read in 100 Easy Lessons

We homeschool, and it worried us greatly that we weren't spending enough time teaching the kid out of this book. Literally, 10 or 15 minutes a day, 3 or 4 days a week. Within one year, she finished the book with the last lesson.

(The last lesson was one word: Supercallafragileisticexpealladoscious. She could read it.)

LM