help me find scripture relating to Jesus accepting all and cleansing of baptism.

gaspah

I met a lady just over a week ago, and I started sharing the Gospel with her. Shes such a sweet spirited caring girl and she says she is very envious that I can have such strong beliefs that affect and help me in all aspects of my life. From what we've spoken she seem very interested in learning more about the gospel, but she is very scared. She believes that she is unclean or somehow unworthy of such blessings, that if she attends church other members will see her past sins and pass judgement. Although this unworthiness she feels I'm sure stems from a traumatic event she confided in me rather than anything that she has done herself. She's very open to listen to me and I've aranged to meet up with her again tomorrow, and by chance I had already had our missionaries scheduled to come over that day, but when I mentioned this she said she would prefer it if they weren't there. I would really prefer have someone more capable than me to answer some of her worries as until my baptism in december i wasn't so diligent in my scripture study. But I feel that if she is comfortable with me perhaps after I help her overcome her biggest fears i'll be able to refer some sister missionaries in her area to teach her more.

So the help that I need to help her are some references in scripture relevant to the clensing of baptism, and how Jesus accepts everyone despite their past transgressions. So that I may go over it with her. I really want to help this girl out she is such a wonderful person and so deserving of having the spirit in her life, and I know she feels it as our discussions have left her in tears but she is still scared of what people will think of her, even though I know how people will accept her she has a hard time believing me. Also if someone has any ideas to help her being scared of being judged harshly by people that would really help her too. I have a friend who is very wise with scripture that i'm meeting up with at institute tonight who im sure will also be able to help but more input would be appreciated.

thanks. :)

EDIT: heres what i've come up with so far that i feel best relates to her.

The Acts 2

37 Now when they heard this, they were pricked in their heart, and said unto Peter and to the rest of the apostles, Men and brethren, what shall we do?

38 Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.

Alma 7

14 Now I say unto you that ye must repent, and be born again; for the Spirit saith if ye are not born again ye cannot inherit the kingdom of heaven; therefore come and be baptized unto repentance, that ye may be washed from your sins, that ye may have faith on the Lamb of God, who taketh away the sins of the world, who is mighty to save and to cleanse from all unrighteousness.

15 Yea, I say unto you come and fear not, and lay aside every sin, which easily doth beset you, which doth bind you down to destruction, yea, come and go forth, and show unto your God that ye are willing to repent of your sins and enter into a covenant with him to keep his commandments, and witness it unto him this day by going into the waters of baptism.

16 And whosoever doeth this, and keepeth the commandments of God from thenceforth, the same will remember that I say unto him, yea, he will remember that I have said unto him, he shall have eternal life, according to the testimony of the Holy Spirit, which testifieth in me.

3 Nephi 11

37 And again I say unto you, ye must repent, and become as a little child, and be baptized in my name, or ye can in nowise receive these things.

38 And again I say unto you, ye must repent, and be baptized in my name, and become as a little child, or ye can in nowise inherit the kingdom of God.

39 Verily, verily, I say unto you, that this is my doctrine, and whoso buildeth upon this buildeth upon my rock, and the gates of hell shall not prevail against them.

3 Nephi 27

15 ....according to the power of the Father I will draw all men unto me, that they may be judged according to their works.

16 And it shall come to pass, that whoso repenteth and is baptized in my name shall be filled; and if he endureth to the end, behold, him will I hold guiltless before my Father at that day when I shall stand to judge the world.

3 Nephi 27

19 And no unclean thing can enter into his kingdom; therefore nothing entereth into his rest save it be those who have washed their garments in my blood, because of their faith, and the repentance of all their sins, and their faithfulness unto the end.

20 Now this is the commandment: Repent, all ye ends of the earth, and come unto me and be baptized in my name, that ye may be sanctified by the reception of the Holy Ghost, that ye may stand spotless before me at the last day.

D&C 39

10 But, behold, the days of thy deliverance are come, if thou wilt hearken to my voice, which saith unto thee: Arise and be baptized, and wash away your sins, calling on my name, and you shall receive my Spirit, and a blessing so great as you never have known.

Luke 7

36 And one of the Pharisees desired him that he would eat with him. And he went into the Pharisee’s house, and sat down to meat.

37 And, behold, a woman in the city, which was a sinner, when she knew that Jesus sat at meat in the Pharisee’s house, brought an alabaster box of ointment,

38 And stood at his feet behind him weeping, and began to wash his feet with tears, and did wipe them with the hairs of her head, and kissed his feet, and anointed them with the ointment.

39 Now when the Pharisee which had bidden him saw it, he spake within himself, saying, This man, if he were a prophet, would have known who and what manner of woman this is that toucheth him: for she is a sinner.

40 And Jesus answering said unto him, Simon, I have somewhat to say unto thee. And he saith, Master, say on.

41 There was a certain creditor which had two debtors: the one owed five hundred pence, and the other fifty.

42 And when they had nothing to pay, he frankly forgave them both. Tell me therefore, which of them will love him most?

43 Simon answered and said, I suppose that he, to whom he forgave most. And he said unto him, Thou hast rightly judged.

44 And he turned to the woman, and said unto Simon, Seest thou this woman? I entered into thine house, thou gavest me no water for my feet: but she hath washed my feet with tears, and wiped them with the hairs of her head.

45 Thou gavest me no kiss: but this woman since the time I came in hath not ceased to kiss my feet.

46 My head with oil thou didst not anoint: but this woman hath anointed my feet with ointment.

47 Wherefore I say unto thee, Her sins, which are many, are forgiven; for she loved much: but to whom little is forgiven, the same loveth little.

48 And he said unto her, Thy sins are forgiven.

49 And they that sat at meat with him began to say within themselves, Who is this that forgiveth sins also?

50 And he said to the woman, Thy faith hath saved thee; go in peace.

I've put in italics the parts that I'm going to explain to her further, and I'm going to search more when i get home from institute. but some help with specific scriptures where it says Jesus accepts all people would be really helpful. thanks.

Edited by gaspah

MARK 1

4. John did baptize in the wlderness, and preach the baptism of repentance fro the remission of sins.

5. And there went out unto him all the land of Judea, and they of Jerusalem, and were all baptized of him in the river of Jordan, confessing their sins.

Mark 2

10. But that ye may know that the Son of man hath power on earth to forgive sins

Mark 11 : 23 to 25

I found these so far

Also, there is:

Come now, and let us reason together, saith the Lord: though your sins be as scarlet, they shall be as white as snow; though they be red like crimson, they shall be as wool.

O then ye unbelieving, turn ye unto the Lord; cry mightily unto the Father in the name of Jesus, that perhaps ye may be found spotless, pure, fair, and white, having been cleansed by the blood of the Lamb, at that great and last day

Nevertheless, he that repents and does the commandments of the Lord shall be forgiven;

As far as people judging. Assuming they know about her past (which is not a given unless she's a celebrity or something), people will judge. Those who are gonna judge though are judging her already so she can't really escape that. Judgmental punks are judgmental punks regardless of whether you've been baptized or not.

Though if she wants a cool scripture to think of when she runs into it, or when she starts condemning herself for something the Lord has forgiven her she can always think this:

What God hath cleansed, that call not thou common.

Thanks a lot both of you for your help..

@Dravin.. I don't quite understand the last scripture "What God hath cleansed, that call not thou common." can you give me some insight to it?

The back story is that Peter, in a dream, was commanded to feast on animals that were considered unclean, or common. The Lord commanded him to do this as a parable of sorts of teaching the gospel to the gentiles, who were at the time considered unclean or common in Jewish circles at the time.

So basically think of it like this:

God: Eat the Bacon

Peter: Bacon, is unclean, I've never eaten it.

God: I'm telling you it is clean, don't tell me its not.

So when Peter learns of Cornelius and goes to him, and apparently it clicks. Under Rabbinical law of the time Peter sitting down and visiting with Cornelius makes him unclean, Peter points this out along with what he has learned, "If God cleanses something, it isn't unclean." And thus he teaches the Gospel to people God has told him are not common or unclean despite what his upbringing has taught him.

How it would apply to your friend then:

Judging Person (herself or another): You horrible unclean, common sinner you!

Her: What God has cleansed, that call not thou common (aka unclean).

Or in other words, God has washed my sins away and made me clean, who are you to tell him he's wrong?

At least that's the thought process that went through my head.

I met a lady just over a week ago, and I started sharing the Gospel with her. Shes such a sweet spirited caring girl and she says she is very envious that I can have such strong beliefs that affect and help me in all aspects of my life. From what we've spoken she seem very interested in learning more about the gospel, but she is very scared. She believes that she is unclean or somehow unworthy of such blessings, that if she attends church other members will see her past sins and pass judgement. Although this unworthiness she feels I'm sure stems from a traumatic event she confided in me rather than anything that she has done herself. She's very open to listen to me and I've aranged to meet up with her again tomorrow, and by chance I had already had our missionaries scheduled to come over that day, but when I mentioned this she said she would prefer it if they weren't there. I would really prefer have someone more capable than me to answer some of her worries as until my baptism in december i wasn't so diligent in my scripture study. But I feel that if she is comfortable with me perhaps after I help her overcome her biggest fears i'll be able to refer some sister missionaries in her area to teach her more.

So the help that I need to help her are some references in scripture relevant to the clensing of baptism, and how Jesus accepts everyone despite their past transgressions. So that I may go over it with her. I really want to help this girl out she is such a wonderful person and so deserving of having the spirit in her life, and I know she feels it as our discussions have left her in tears but she is still scared of what people will think of her, even though I know how people will accept her she has a hard time believing me. Also if someone has any ideas to help her being scared of being judged harshly by people that would really help her too. I have a friend who is very wise with scripture that i'm meeting up with at institute tonight who im sure will also be able to help but more input would be appreciated.

thanks. :)

EDIT: heres what i've come up with so far that i feel best relates to her.

I've put in italics the parts that I'm going to explain to her further, and I'm going to search more when i get home from institute. but some help with specific scriptures where it says Jesus accepts all people would be really helpful. thanks.

Sincere prayer is always something you should never forget either.:)

Isaiah 1: 18

Come now, and let us reason together, saith the Lord: though your sins be as scarlet, they shall be as white as snow; though they be red like crimson, they shall be as wool.

(noticed it was already posted, but it was the first one that came to my mind)

Hebrews 8:12 For I will be merciful to their unrighteousness, and their sins and their iniquities will I remember no more.

Also, do a search on lds.org. There are many great talks and lessons on repentance and forgiveness.

Edited by bytebear