Live Tweeting the Revolution

Elphaba

Posted Image

Live Tweeting the Revolution

From the protestors on the ground:

security in Jamaran is unbelieveble - hundreds of Baseej guarding Khamenei

confirmed - Tabriz - Baseej headqurters set fire - 'many' dead

Tehran hotels under high security to stop Iranians from contacting foreign press

anyone with camera or laptop is attacked in street

i am seeing tweets about a lot of disturbances, arrests, violence in Shahrak Gharb, any reports?

we hear 1dead in shiraz, livefire used in other cities RT

Very scared, I was talkin to myuncle in shiraz and he was so paranoid.

If you hear the forces talking in arabic..BE CAREFUL..these guys are imported in, they are not affraid of suicide bombing and killing

Police the reason of insecurity; Dead students buried by profs

Basij attacking Shiraz and Mashad universities, Shiraz U's dean resigned

some student killed by the 4a blast in Babol Univ's dorms; surrounded by Basij forces

Militia still attacking people in sidestreets but main roads are peaceful marchers.

Basij Militia attacks a residential complex

Students are protesting in Mashhad's Ferdowsi uni. surrounded by Basij & Ansar forces UNCONF

Confirmed info: hezbollah mobilized & lebanese coming in. this is going to get a lot worse before it gets any better pass it down

it's not only police that we're dealing with. there's basij, anti riot guard, elite IRGC

Basij (pro leader militia) is announcing a demonstration at 3 in ValiAsr Sq. , Mousavi's is at 5; same place.

Supporters of Ahmadinejad plan a rally today at the same Tehran square where backers of Mousavi say they will gather

Conf: Abtahi (key reformist, and supporter of Karroubi) is arrested.

stay safe and I will RT anything you write! The world is watching and history is being made--we bear witness!

unconfrm:10 highrank Sepaah officers Sepaah arrested as they intended to support ppl 2gether W Artesh officers. know more?

BIG explosion at Nooshiravani Babol University (North Iran),police does not lets people to go there and see what had happened.

March for today 5pm is ON, at Valiasr Sq. in Tehran, spread to all u know, Mousavi himself will not be attending

All last night we hear shooting accross Tehran - everyone is full of rumours and stories - many arrests in night

Iran state radio says 7 protesters killed overnight in tehran, report of one killed in shiraz

Just heard from an eye witness in Tehran: last night 12 people shot to death had been brought to Rasul_Akram hospital, with dozens wounded.

i used to use twitter to follow my favorite tech bloggers... good old days :(

areh manam haminor i never thought i use facebook so much, i only use to read tech blogs

EVERYONE everywhere set yourLOCATION to TEHRAN! Confuse them.They can't follow everyone!

Still not confirmed if the #iranelection hashtag is blocked. KEEP USING IT. Could be a propaganda to disperse everyone.

"JUST IN: Iran blocking #iranelection tags. Migrate to #iran9 hashtag instead."

#IranElection hashtag is not blocked in Iran. Yells of Allaho Akbar just happen for two hours, 9:00-11:00 PM local time.

We gather to stand in and in solidarity with the people of Iran. No political factions!!! No flags!! (from any country) TELL YOUR FRIENDS!!

I was proud to cast my 1st vote as a US citizen this year, but I am dissapointed at how other govs are acting

it was heart warming to see protestors helping iranian police that were injured and hurt. never lose your true cause, integrity,principle!

confirmed - most of Tehran Bazar is closed today

people saying that army is split. people talking of coup.

unconfirmed. we need army on our side.

ppl (protesters against coup) are on strike, with black clothes today. mourning for what is happening in Iran.

Nobody will go to office today as a strike. I will stay at home.

Today is a day of strikes throughout Iran, will it be successful?

this will be a pivotal day for Iran, have faith in yourselves and know that you are not alone. Far and wide we are following :)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

These people are begging for our support. I just wish I knew how to go about giving it, other than just getting the message out that Ahmadinejad is not the democratically elected president, but instead, stole the election after the fact.

Elphaba

Edited by Elphaba

These people are begging for our support. I just wish I knew how to go about giving it, other than just getting the message out that Ahmadinejad is not the democratically elected president, but instead, stole the election after the fact.

I don't think we can know that from our place in the world based on the riots/ of the disenchanted. Remember the year 2000 election here. :o

(Not saying it's true or not but given the complication we (the general public) had "determining" the winner here in the states (free press and all that) i don't think we have the information available to determine that one way or the other.)

Khamenei did order a probe in to the poll fraud charges. That is huge news, all things considered. The pressure must be considerable if he's saying he'll look in to it. After all, Ahmedinejad was his boy.

If Sayyed Ali Khamenei feels the mood of the populace is becoming more like the 1970s, he will be very careful indeed.

I don't think we can know that from our place in the world based on the riots/ of the disenchanted. Remember the year 2000 election here. :o

(Not saying it's true or not but given the complication we (the general public) had "determining" the winner here in the states (free press and all that) i don't think we have the information available to determine that one way or the other.)

I should have been more clear.

It is not possible to tell whether Mousavi (Green) won the election, or whether Ahmadinejad did. The problem is Ahmadinejad supposedly won 63 percent to Mousavi's 36 percent. (or figures similar to those).

First, there is evidence the 63 percent figure was ascertained BEFORE the voting period.

Second, if everyone's vote had counted, Ahmadinejad might still have won, but not by this large of a margin. That's why the protests are about "Where is my Vote!" It was obvious millions and millions of Mousavi supporters came out and voted in longer lines than we saw at Obama's election, as they wore Mousavi's campaign color--green. You couldn't miss them.

Of course the Greens believe that the election was rigged, (as do I), and that Mousavi won. I agree, we can't determine that right now. But there is no doubt there are millions of votes that weren't counted.

A side note: Either way the election goes, these young people are not going away, and they support an Iran that works with America, wants peace in the region, does not want a nuclear weaponry programs, etc. Obviously, in real life, these things aren't that simple. But these kids are going to come into power, and I think it will be very soon. They're dying on this streets for their cause as we speak.

Elphaba

Democracy in the Middle East is like weeds. It pops up now and again, resilient, unwelcomed, disrupts the "harmony" of the landscape and it is just plain annoying to those in power.

For those in power democracy is such a fearful and disruptive force that must be contained. Democracy means secular rule/government, modernity, plurality of thought and expression. Nothing could be more foreign and dangerous to them. They call it "Occidentosis" or the "sickness from the West." The theocrats will not get converted to democracy and go quietly into the night. They will do whatever it takes to remain in power. A mock election (the real power is the Council of Experts and the Ayatollahs) is just a soap opera. Wait until they get to the real weekend action entertainment and start kidnapping and killing members of the opposition.

Democracy in the Middle East is like weeds. It pops up now and again, resilient, unwelcomed, disrupts the "harmony" of the landscape and it is just plain annoying to those in power.

For those in power democracy is such a fearful and disruptive force that must be contained. Democracy means secular rule/government, modernity, plurality of thought and expression. Nothing could be more foreign and dangerous to them. They call it "Occidentosis" or the "sickness from the West." The theocrats will not get converted to democracy and go quietly into the night. They will do whatever it takes to remain in power. A mock election (the real power is the Council of Experts and the Ayatollahs) is just a soap opera. Wait until they get to the real weekend action entertainment and start kidnapping and killing members of the opposition.

I agree with you.

If, by the longest shot, Moussavi was determined to be the winner, I really doubt all that much would change. But to me, if change does come, it will be in baby steps.

Unfortunately, it really doesn't matter who wins, because as you say, the Ayatollahs are the ultimate power, and they're not going to allow the reforms millions of Iranians want. But again, baby steps. Maybe.

I realize Ayatolla Khameini has called for an investigation into possible voter fraud; however, many people think he has done so in the hopes that within this time period, the massive protests will have ended. However, I suspect they will begin again once Khameini insists Ahmadinejad is the winner.

I don't think these protests can be ignored. A significant faction of the people definitely want a new direction. They want a Gandhi to lead them, and believe Moussavi is it. Because of all the complications you mentioned above, I doubt that will really happen. But these Iranians do want change.

Finally, they're already being kidnapped and killed.

Elphaba

Our record in the ME is quite spotty. We neglected the region for so long that we have very little intelligence and insight (from Israel most of it and everybody knows how that works) and every time we try to "help" we end up with a foot in our mouth. We HAVE to tread VERY carefully here, slow is fast, little is more. We should do something but I hope that the people who should know, are able to advise the Pres on how, what and when... Let's keep the mess at a minimum...most likely than not we have to go and clean up afterward.