Words or phrases you dislike

Mahone

okay, I thought of some...or were reminded of them...anyway,

ATF fluid....

ATF=Automatic Transmission Fluid...So when you read the bottle you're reading Automatic Transmission Fluid....fluid....

I had no idea automatic transmission fluid needed its own fluid...and I'm a mechanic.

Hot Water Heater....

If the water's already hot...does it still need to be heated???

Fat Chance vs. Slim Chance

Don't they mean the same thing?

I always found Recursive Acronyms interesting. It's different to what you are talking about, but I still find these amusing.

• Replies 236
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's a common one on the forums...

"Book of Mormons" ....possibly the full member list on file at SLC? It should be "Books of Mormon", as Mormon was only one man, but we have many many copies of his book...so just pluralize the correct noun...

sheesh...I'm sounding like my 9th grade english teacher....

Yeah but wasn't that the case with the original Chekov? Doesn't make the accent any better mind you, just means it was intentional as a nod to the fans about such moments as nuclear wessels from ST:IV. Some people don't get cranking it up to 11 is not always a good idea I guess.

I hate to bring more pain into your life, but with this particular peeve (which I share on a minor level) I'm sure you are just waiting with bated breath for the new Sherlock Holmes movie coming out, staring.... *drum roll* Robert Downey Jr. as Holmes.

That scene in STIV was hilarious. I know it was overdone but it was done for the humor of it.

I agree. Robert Downey Jr. should not have been casted as Holmes. There are plenty of good English actors- let them play the role.

Using "at".

Where you at? Where are the car keys at?

This must be an American phrase because I never heard it before moving here to the US :Þ It just sounds better to say, "Where are you?" and "Where are the car keys?"—forget the "at"!

Using "at".

This must be an American phrase because I never heard it before moving here to the US :Þ It just sounds better to say, "Where are you?" and "Where are the car keys?"—forget the "at"!

I am not sure where that came from.

I hear it a lot myself and wonder why it is used that way.

Using "at".

Speaking of American dialect, when an American askes for you to write to them, they usually say "will you write me". I always wince when I hear that, because if we did that in any of our English exams here, we'd fail. Will you write to me.

What bothers me MOST is when others who are NOT LDS- try to tell LDS what we believe (which it isn't!)

as they read it in some anti book-!

That just is so unfair-- straw man garbage (say/build something that looks somewhat like a man (the truth) but isn't and then "beat him" (show how it is wrong (of course it is!) which is easily done- as he is NOT the truth-.

Do I "win" with the WORST things others say that is **** so **** frustrating? ; / Gramajane

What bothers me MOST is when others who are NOT LDS- try to tell LDS what we believe (which it isn't!)

as they read it in some anti book-!

That just is so unfair-- straw man garbage (say/build something that looks somewhat like a man (the truth) but isn't and then "beat him" (show how it is wrong (of course it is!) which is easily done- as he is NOT the truth-.

Do I "win" with the WORST things others say that is **** so **** frustrating? ; / Gramajane

Yes, most frustrating.

I hate the way they deliberately phrase things too, in their attempts to remove us from the Christian faith, and especially the way they use lower case letters to represent and disrespect deity, when it has to do with LDS belief:

the mormon jesus

the mormon gospel

the mormon god

the mormon heavenly father

etc.

Speaking of American dialect, when an American askes for you to write to them, they usually say "will you write me". I always wince when I hear that, because if we did that in any of our English exams here, we'd fail. Will you write to me.

Once someone asked me "Will you write me?" to which I promptly said "sure, you have a piece of paper?"

She handed me a scrap of paper from out of her purse and I quickly

scratched down "Me" on the piece with my pen and handed it to her with a smile.

Then I quickly added "Of course I will.":)