Words or phrases you dislike

Mahone

• Replies 236
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"oh my heck" - such a Utah thing and I just think it sounds ridiculous!

"that's so gay" - really? I think it's pretty immature to use that as a negative adjective.

"lol, woot, n00b, any of that internet slang" - I really can't stand the internet language some of my more technology-inclined friends use....

When I taught my children at home "I told them the second vowel makes the first vowel say it's name".

I know next to nothing, yet I know that.

Bro. Rudick

Goes along with the phrase: "When two vowels go walking, the first one does the talking."

The accent that Chekov had was horrendous--it was not a Russian accent--it was a frat boy trying to talk like a Russian accent.

Yeah but wasn't that the case with the original Chekov? Doesn't make the accent any better mind you, just means it was intentional as a nod to the fans about such moments as nuclear wessels from ST:IV. Some people don't get cranking it up to 11 is not always a good idea I guess.

Along the same lines....I can't stand when they have an American actor play a British character. Drives me batty! As if there aren't any good British actors that actually have a real British accent, rather than a big name American actor faking an accent.

I hate to bring more pain into your life, but with this particular peeve (which I share on a minor level) I'm sure you are just waiting with bated breath for the new Sherlock Holmes movie coming out, staring.... *drum roll* Robert Downey Jr. as Holmes.

Yeah but wasn't that the case with the original Chekov? Doesn't make the accent any better mind you, just means it was intentional as a nod to the fans about such moments as nuclear wessels from ST:IV. Some people don't get cranking it up to 11 is not always a good idea I guess.

I'm not a Trekkie, so although I did watch the original, I don't remember that much detail. It drove me nuts that he couldn't pronounce a "v" sound--Russian contains the "v" sound--in fact, they don't have a "w" sound, so that is usually more difficult for a Slavic to pronounce vs. a "v" sound.

I hate to bring more pain into your life, but with this particular peeve (which I share on a minor level) I'm sure you are just waiting with bated breath for the new Sherlock Holmes movie coming out, staring.... *drum roll* Robert Downey Jr. as Holmes.

GRRRR! :mad: I love RDJ--he's a great actor. But come on! There are NO British actors worthy to play him????

I'm not a Trekkie, so although I did watch the original, I don't remember that much detail. It drove me nuts that he couldn't pronounce a "v" sound--Russian contains the "v" sound--in fact, they don't have a "w" sound, so that is usually more difficult for a Slavic to pronounce vs. a "v" sound.

You know I just had the mental imagine of a bunch of Russian's sitting around drinking Wodka. :)

GRRRR! :mad: I love RDJ--he's a great actor. But come on! There are NO British actors worthy to play him????

I enjoyed him as Tony Stark in Iron Man.

"oh my heck" - such a Utah thing and I just think it sounds ridiculous!

A conversation from a few years ago:

NEW FRIENDS JUST MOVED IN FROM UTAH: ...and I always hated it when people would say "oh my heck!"

VORT: Hey! I just found something out a week or two ago! Do you know why Utahans say "Oh my heck"?

NFJMIFU: Uh...no. Why?

V: It's because they don't want to say "Oh my hell!" Hahahahaha!!

NFJMIFU: ????? (confused looks)

V: No! Seriously! I'm not making this up! The original phrase was, "Oh my hell!" So instead, they say "Oh my heck!"

NFJMIFU: Well...yes, we know that. Doesn't everyone know that?

V: Oh. You do? Oh. Well. Uh...OK. It was news to me. Just thought it sounded kind of funny.

NFJMIFU: ...

V: ...

NFJMIFU: So, do you follow the Jazz at all?

Just saw that preview last night when I went to see Harry Potter. I'm looking forward to it.

NEW FRIENDS JUST MOVED IN FROM UTAH: ...and I always hated it when people would say "oh my heck!"

VORT: Hey! I just found something out a week or two ago! Do you know why Utahans say "Oh my heck"?

V: No! Seriously! I'm not making this up! The original phrase was, "Oh my hell!" So instead, they say "Oh my heck!"

V: Oh. You do? Oh. Well. Uh...OK. It was news to me. Just thought it sounded kind of funny.

Like "oh my hell" even makes any sense. I've never heard anybody say it. Who even came up with it?

Along those lines, another annoying Utah-ism I've heard is "hecka", as in "hecka good" (as opposed to "hella good" like the Gwen Stefani song).

Just saw that preview last night when I went to see Harry Potter. I'm looking forward to it.

Like "oh my hell" even makes any sense. I've never heard anybody say it. Who even came up with it?

Along those lines, another annoying Utah-ism I've heard is "hecka", as in "hecka good" (as opposed to "hella good" like the Gwen Stefani song).

Wow I've never heard anyone using "hecka."

Just thought of another one...when people use the phrase "begs the question" incorrectly (though I dare say I've done this myself a few times).

Correct use: "You say he's guilty because he shows no remorse? That begs the question!"

Incorrect use: "You say you saw him commit the crime? That begs the question, what were you doing there yourself?"

Actually, it is "that raises the question."

Elphaba

Some years back I wrote a post, trying to be funny, in Inspector Clouseau English. A native French speaker responded and told me how terribly rude I had been. I felt bad for sometime after. It was like I had been an English-speaking minstrel in frog face.

:(;)

Some years back I wrote a post, trying to be funny, in Inspector Clouseau English. A native French speaker responded and told me how terribly rude I had been. I felt bad for sometime after. It was like I had been an English-speaking minstrel in frog face.

:(;)

Been there, done that too:)

I felt the same way at a rebuff:huh:

Not sure I won't so it again though:D

When I was young:D

We played a game called "Mother May I"

I don't think they play it much anywhere:rolleyes:

I got sent back to the beginning a lot of the times:confused:

But I finally got it:)

I am slow, but I do get there:o

Bro. Rudick

haha I remember that game, use to play it with my friends all the time

the phrase that really bugs me,that i hear daily at work is "well i'll ride with him/her will that be ok" ...NO there is a height restriction for a reason.... I always feel like replying "sure if you want your kid dead" ....not that they would die from riding the ride when they are to short...although they could or maybe even seriously hurt... sorry im done ranting about my job now...haha

"can i AX you a question"

No you may not AX me anything. Would you like to ASK me something?

Well unless you need firewood for the winter..I would say axe away.

Around here, it's usually "oh my gosh". Or the other G which shall not be mentioned.

Not sure if this has been mentioned as i have not been through all 15 pages, but my kids always say freakin this or freakin that. Didn't bother me too much at first, but man. Going to start taking money away off their allowance every time i hear it.

The other phrase would have to be Bra as in "What's up bra" instead of bro or brother.