Schiavo Autopsy Released

Outshined

The autopsy has been released, and it backs Michael Schiavo's version of her injuries.

Schiavo autopsy report backs husband

Medical examiner says she suffered from 'irreversible' brain injury

TAMPA, Fla. - In a victory for Michael Schiavo, a coroner who performed an autopsy on Terri Schiavo reported Wednesday that she suffered from an irreversible brain injury and would not have recovered as her parents insisted was possible. It also found no evidence that she was strangled or otherwise abused.

"Her brain was profoundly atrophied," Jon Thogmartin, medical examiner for Florida's Pinellas-Pasco County, told a press conference. "There was massive neuronal loss, or death. This was irreversible and no amount of therapy or treatment would have regenerated the massive loss of neurons."

“The brain weighed 615 grams, roughly half of the expected weight of a human brain," he added.

Thogmartin was joined by Dr. Stephen Nelson, who described her condition as "very consistent with a persistent vegetative state," which is what Michael Schiavo and most doctors had contended was the case.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/8225637/

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by Outshined@Jun 15 2005, 02:13 PM

"Her brain was profoundly atrophied," Jon Thogmartin, medical examiner for Florida's Pinellas-Pasco County, told a press conference.

ŵhe brain weighed 615 grams, roughly half of the expected weight of a human brain," he added.

Is it no wonder?

Terri was starved and dehydrated to death. I would think that anyone of us who was tortured the way she was would have lost some mass to our brains along with other organs in the body.

I know that I am a lone soldier on this message board about this but I do not believe that Michael¡Çs motives were pure as he and his attorney make him out to be. Not that it matters, but I also believe that Michael belongs in the same category as some other high profile cases i.e. O.J. Simpson and Michael Jackson.

I am happy that Terri is no longer suffering at the hands of her monster of a ¡Èhusband¡É

You don¡Çt have to dispute this, these are my feelings and because they are my feelings it is true for me.

May Terri rest in peace.

Thanks.

Originally posted by Outshined@Jun 15 2005, 06:37 PM

You may recall that there were a lot of accusations flying that he strangled and abused her, and was trying to kill her to "hide the truth".

Not so, apparently.

"The autopsy found no evidence she had an eating disorder or that strangulation or other trauma led to her collapse."

Apparently no eating disorder either. They can't tell us why she collapsed.

Originally posted by Strawberry Fields@Jun 15 2005, 07:05 PM

"The autopsy found no evidence she had an eating disorder or that strangulation or other trauma led to her collapse."

Apparently no eating disorder either. They can't tell us why she collapsed.

Who knows? It may have been a blood clot. It was a long time ago.

Originally posted by Strawberry Fields+Jun 15 2005, 07:02 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Strawberry Fields @ Jun 15 2005, 07:02 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--Outshined@Jun 15 2005, 02:13 PM

"Her brain was profoundly atrophied," Jon Thogmartin, medical examiner for Florida's Pinellas-Pasco County, told a press conference.

ŵhe brain weighed 615 grams, roughly half of the expected weight of a human brain," he added.

Is it no wonder?

Terri was starved and dehydrated to death. I would think that anyone of us who was tortured the way she was would have lost some mass to our brains along with other organs in the body.

I know that I am a lone soldier on this message board about this but I do not believe that Michael¡Çs motives were pure as he and his attorney make him out to be. Not that it matters, but I also believe that Michael belongs in the same category as some other high profile cases i.e. O.J. Simpson and Michael Jackson.

I am happy that Terri is no longer suffering at the hands of her monster of a ¡Èhusband¡É

You don¡Çt have to dispute this, these are my feelings and because they are my feelings it is true for me.

May Terri rest in peace.

Thanks.

The evidence just does not support any kind of abuse, and her brain had been irreversibly damaged.

I believe the real suffering was in keeping her alive in such a state.

Originally posted by Strawberry Fields+Jun 15 2005, 05:02 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Strawberry Fields @ Jun 15 2005, 05:02 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--Outshined@Jun 15 2005, 02:13 PM

Is it no wonder?

May Terri rest in peace.

Thanks.

Strawberry,

You ought to examine your reasoning process. Somehow you equate a legal guardian exercising the rights and responsibilities legally and morally granted to him with a double murderer.

That's lugumbios.

It seems to me that Terry died ten years ago. All Michael did was pull the plug on the shell that his wife used to live in. I don't think letting a dead person die is a criminal act, but an act of compassion.

Or to put it another way,

The woman's brain was dead. Only her body was being kept alive. How is that a good thing?

Originally posted by Snow+Jun 15 2005, 09:17 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Snow @ Jun 15 2005, 09:17 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by -Strawberry Fields@Jun 15 2005, 05:02 PM

<!--QuoteBegin--Outshined@Jun 15 2005, 02:13 PM

Is it no wonder?

May Terri rest in peace.

Thanks.

Strawberry,

You ought to examine your reasoning process. Somehow you equate a legal guardian exercising the rights and responsibilities legally and morally granted to him with a double murderer.

That's lugumbios.

I am entitled to my own opinion period.

Why is it that you have not piped up in response of one of my posts since that last Terri Shiavo thread? You know how strongly I feel about this yet you seem to rejoice in being an ***********.

Originally posted by Strawberry Fields+Jun 15 2005, 11:18 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Strawberry Fields @ Jun 15 2005, 11:18 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by -Snow@Jun 15 2005, 09:17 PM

Is it no wonder?

May Terri rest in peace.

Thanks.

Strawberry,

That's lugumbios.

Why is it that you have not piped up in response of one of my posts since that last Terri Shiavo thread? You know how strongly I feel about this yet you seem to rejoice in being an ***********.

I can see you reasoning if we were talking about a person that has been left mentally deficient, but we are talking about a person that is brain dead. What is a person without a functioning brain that will never recover? Is it humane to let a person "live" like that?

SF,

IMO, someday science will advance to the level that it will be able to help people like Terry.

I wonder how many people that thought Terry's feeding tube should be removed .... now have living will directives, to speak for them when they are unable?

You have a perfect right to express your opinion on a subject. I read your earlier post about Terry, your son Nick and your teaching young ladies about self worth. You have genuine empathy for others. That is why ... on another thread that I said, " You were one special Lady". :)

Schiavo tragedy caused a lot of people to talk to their family about all the "what IF’s" this life is full of.

Personally it caused a dialog with in our family; I think we were surprised that we all felt the same way. I think this comes from the choice my mother made to be DNR when she reached a stage in her cancer treatment.

My husband and I have agreed that life no matter what stage of any Vegetative state is life.

It is a shame that our world dose not see the gift the Terry Schiavo’s of this world teach us.

I am thankful to the gift she gave all who’s life she touched including mine.

Guest Taoist_Saint

Question:

If one was to make a Will stating that they do not wish to live on life support in a vegetative or even semi-vegetative state...how can they be sure the request is legal? What are the criteria for their request to be granted? Is there even a consistent law, or is it just up to individual judges?

Originally posted by Taoist_Saint@Jun 17 2005, 11:32 AM

Question:

If one was to make a Will stating that they do not wish to live on life support in a vegetative or even semi-vegetative state...how can they be sure the request is legal? What are the criteria for their request to be granted? Is there even a consistent law, or is it just up to individual judges?

Next time you go to your doctor, ask for information on Advance Directives and a Durable Power of Attorney for Health Care or google them.

Originally posted by Strawberry Fields+Jun 15 2005, 09:18 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Strawberry Fields @ Jun 15 2005, 09:18 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>

Is it no wonder?

May Terri rest in peace.

Thanks.

Strawberry,

That's lugumbios.

Of course I don't have to dispute your post nor did you need to have responded to my last post but if we all took that attitude, then there wouild be no point to having our little discussion board. I expect that people will challenge by thinking when I post. That is the reason I participate here.

Just because you have feelings, that does not make them true Strawberry. For you to compare someone acting in what appears to be good faith, working his way through the legal system and acting in full accord with the law... to compare such a person to a double murderer like OJ is absurd, irrational and inappropriate and decidely UNtrue. Then to call me a ********** (whatever that is) because I pointed it out is silly.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/conte...1700350_pf.html

TALLAHASSEE, Fla. -- Gov. Jeb Bush said Friday that a prosecutor has agreed to investigate why Terri Schiavo collapsed 15 years ago, citing an alleged time gap between when her husband found her and when he called 911.

Bush said his request for the probe was not meant to suggest wrongdoing by Michael Schiavo. "It's a significant question that during this ordeal was never brought up," Bush told reporters.

I've always been a Bush supporter but in the Schiavo case he has been mostly a big flipp'n idiot.

Originally posted by Snow+Jun 17 2005, 07:24 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Snow @ Jun 17 2005, 07:24 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by -Strawberry Fields@Jun 15 2005, 09:18 PM

Is it no wonder?

May Terri rest in peace.

Thanks.

Strawberry,

That's lugumbios.

Of course I don't have to dispute your post nor did you need to have responded to my last post but if we all took that attitude, then there wouild be no point to having our little discussion board. I expect that people will challenge by thinking when I post. That is the reason I participate here.

Just because you have feelings, that does not make them true Strawberry. For you to compare someone acting in what appears to be good faith, working his way through the legal system and acting in full accord with the law... to compare such a person to a double murderer like OJ is absurd, irrational and inappropriate and decidely UNtrue. Then to call me a ********** (whatever that is) because I pointed it out is silly.

Snowy,

Let me explain this to you again. When I posted what I did I was expressing MY feelings which ring TRUE for ME. I am not trying to convince you or anyone else to sway your thinking in my direction. It was made apparent that I stood alone in my feelings about this several months ago.

My comparison to OJ was that he also (my belief alone) got away with the murder of his wife... going a bit deeper, the courts allowed that to happen as well. Unfortunately, there is not always Justice in our Justice system.

Originally posted by Snow@Jun 17 2005, 10:08 PM

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/conte...1700350_pf.html

TALLAHASSEE, Fla. -- Gov. Jeb Bush said Friday that a prosecutor has agreed to investigate why Terri Schiavo collapsed 15 years ago, citing an alleged time gap between when her husband found her and when he called 911.

Bush said his request for the probe was not meant to suggest wrongdoing by Michael Schiavo. "It's a significant question that during this ordeal was never brought up," Bush told reporters.

I've always been a Bush supporter but in the Schiavo case he has been mostly a big flipp'n idiot.

A flipp'n idiot because he doesn't agree with you on this? Now that is just silly.

This report (the autopsy) tells us many things. Two things that should be brought to light that have not yet here are that she

1. Had no eating disorder to cause a chemical imbalance

2. No chemical imbalance to cause the heart attack which Michael based his lawsuit on.

In November 1992, Michael won a medical malpractice lawsuit after claiming that doctors failed to diagnose the chemical imbalance that caused the heart attack. The court awarded approximately $1 million in damages with $300,000 to Michael for his loss and another $700,000 to Michael for Terri's rehabilitation.

Now with no basis for his lawsuit should he have pay back the million dollars?

Michael used the 700,000 not for the care and rehab of Terri; he used this money to fight for her death. He never mentioned that she would want to die in the malpractice suit. The news that she would not want to live that came after the money was in his possession. The 700,000 was to be for the rest of Terri's life to get her the rehab they determined she needed. Medicaid or Medicare ended paying for Terri's care which should have come from that money that was won.

Maybe he should also need to pay back who ever was covering the costs that he as guardian should have paid as well as the million dollars in the now false malpractice suit.

Originally posted by Outshined@Jun 21 2005, 10:55 AM

Yeah, he could make it back up by filing defamation of character suits against those who said he abused his wife...

Really?

I don't think that the autopsy stated that Terri was never abused. Michael is still under investigation for his actions or lack there of...

The IME essentially ruled out bulimia and heart attack as causes for Terri’s condition. In one sense the IME’s report created as many questions as it may have answered. The major question that now remains is what happened? A troubling 70-minute gap appears in the timeline on the day Terri collapsed in 1990:

o According to Michael Schiavo, Terri collapsed at 4:30 AM. Mr. Schiavo said this on Larry King Live and he also re-confirmed it to the IME during his investigation.

o 911 was called at 5:40 AM. Emergency services arrived at 5:52 AM.

o Both Bobby Schindler Jr. and the original police report gave similar descriptions as to Terri’s state – laying face first, on the floor, hands crossed and up high against her chest, making gurgling noises.

o What led to Terri’s collapse? Why is this major discrepancy in time is not fully understood? When a person is without blood and oxygen to their brain, 70 minutes is a terribly long time when each second counts.

Wouldn't you want to know the answers to these questions if you where a loved one of Terri?

The question still remains if it was Terri's choice was that to die from dehydration. It was never proven that Terri had made any choice about this at all. No one in her family or none of her friends had ever heard her say what her choice was. Michael didn't ever "recall" until after he had won this false malpractice suit. Who did his new found recollection of Terri's wishes then serve? Michael Shiavo.