Requiem for an Eastern European Missile Shield . . .

Just_A_Guy

Having served in the military – I did learn one thing. If you are going to make a move – make a move that can bring victory. Making moves for the sake of looking good is more likely to cost needless loss of life than to preserve it.

I do not trust media unless I know the bias – then I color what they report according to their bias. If they claim to have no bias then it is hardly worth the bother. I assume that since you quote Glenn Beck you understand his bias?

The Traveler

We have now alienated our allies, our ally of Israel. Israel knows who they're dealing with, with Barack Obama. We have sent people over to Syria; meet with them. We've now received a nice book from Hugo Chavez. We've got people here in America making great movies about Chavez. We have our congressmen going down to meet with Fidel Castro and his brother and, you know, we really should look into the great system of Cuba.

Isn't it great having a president who doesn't shun other countries simply because they don't like us? I like the fact that we're finally reaching out to nations like Cuba and Venezuela rather than treating them like infectious diseases. Yes, their leadership is whack, but shunning them and refusing to find common ground is not the way to fix that.

As for Israel, they can cry us a river.

Isn't it great having a president who doesn't shun other countries simply because they don't like us? I like the fact that we're finally reaching out to nations like Cuba and Venezuela rather than treating them like infectious diseases. Yes, their leadership is whack, but shunning them and refusing to find common ground is not the way to fix that.

As for Israel, they can cry us a river.

Yes; much better to shun the countries that do like us and the Congressional Republicans.

Yes; much better to shun the countries that do like us and the Congressional Republicans.

The funny thing is, I don't see that happening. Israel's got their panties in a bunch because we're talking to countries that hate them. Like I said, they can cry us a river. They're still our allies and I have no doubt that we're going to continue sending them guns and money. Wah.

In Israel's case, I'm not convinced guns and money will help if Obama's shilly-shallying buys Israel's enemies the time they need to go nuclear. (Not saying Iran, or whoever, would immediately nuke Israel if given the chance; but it'd fundamentally change the game over there into a sort of "Mini-MAD" and I don't think that new status quo would favor Israel.)

True, but the landscape of communist totalitarianism has shifted drastically since the collapse of the USSR. China and N Korea are now our primary threats, and I fail to see how stockpiling weapons will do anything to keep those threats in check. We tried that method when we were dealing with Russia, and it brought us to a nuclear standoff that lasted over 30 years. Do you really want to repeat that?

Emphasis mine.

NO. No. No no no no no no no no no. NO.

In Israel's case, I'm not convinced guns and money will help if Obama's shilly-shallying buys Israel's enemies the time they need to go nuclear. (Not saying Iran, or whoever, would immediately nuke Israel if given the chance; but it'd fundamentally change the game over there into a sort of "Mini-MAD" and I don't think that new status quo would favor Israel.)

All the more reason for us to be more diplomatically involved with them (Israel's enemies). We spent decades giving the cold shoulder to North Korea while they developed their weapons program, and now we're having to play catchup as we try to smooth things over. It'd be nice to have some diplomatic ties established if there are Arab nations trying to go nuclear.