Question about Sabbath Day Activities?

kpatrey

Okay, so I have a question about activities on the Sabbath Day.

Some friends of mine were talking about how bummed they were that Halloween falls on a Sunday next year and the kids would miss it. I didn't really understand, but rather than ask at that moment I just left the comment alone.

So my question is this, "If Christmas falls on a Sunday are the kids not allowed to open gifts?" This is a genuine question because I see some members do different things on the Sabbath Day.

Is there something somewhere that says we can't celebrate a holiday if it falls on a Sunday? Thank you in advance for your replies.

Edited by kpatrey
spelling error :(

There is no edict saying no. So, it is up to each set of parents to pray and ponder and decide for their own family.

Great...thanks so much! It's always a challenge to know what we can/can't do and sometimes I feel out of place if I do things differently than some of the others. I appreciate the comments.

Can they go trick-or-treating on Halloween?

Again that's a personal decision. Here in Utah they make that decision easy. They have trick or treating on a Saturday when Halloween falls on a Sunday.

If only all the world could be like Utah and make it so easy :)

It's our favorite holiday so i am sure we'll be out there. Thanks again!

I would probably do the same thing if I still had very young kids.

It depends on how you define appropriate sunday activities. For our family going trick or treating on the Sabbeth is not okay. I know others who feel it is. Just as I know high priests who shop on Sunday, mow lawns etc. When halloween last fell on the Sabbeth the Ward held a halloween Saturday instead. It was actually one of the best years our children had I stayed home ( i hope that wasn't why it was one of the best for them!) My wife drove them to various members homes and other members children came to ours. I think they actaully did better then going around the nieborhood. They had a great time because they visited people they knew not strangers. They ended wishing Halloween was always on a Sunday!

And no our children did not go out the next day as well. But what you choose to do with your children is what you feel is best for you and them. While some members take a hard stance either way someone elses choice has nothing to do with my salvation only theirs so pray ask God and do what you feel is right.

Yes, my husband has mowed on Sunday's on a few occasions. I have seen members who have said they were not going out. I just hope they don't look down at us for our decision. Our ward this year is having our Halloween Celebration the Friday before so I am sure that next year they will do it on Saturday. We live in a neighborhood filled with kids and very active so it's really great when we all participate. Thanks for your insight. :)