Why are we here? Basic but.....

martybess

People in need allow us to learn a fundamental principle, friendship. To make friends, you not only have to have mutual compassion for that person but you have to spend intimate time towards a similar goal. Being in need presents opportunity to work towards similar goals intimately with someone. So, we are not talking about dropping your old clothes off at the D.I. or donating money to Help Save the Children fund.

Joseph Smith said:

"Friendship is one of the grand fundamental principles of ‘Mormonism’; [it is designed] to revolutionize and civilize the world, and cause wars and contentions to cease and men to become friends and brothers."

And you thought faith, repentance, baptism and receiving of the Holy Ghost were the first principles, well friendship is one of the 'grand fundamental' principles. So, in other words, we can't live quiet lives. We have to go out of our way to find those in need and reach out to them. I would rather be a wall flower and converse anonymously on the web, myself. But as Joseph Smith said, we have to cultivate our sympathy for the afflicted and pour in the oil and wine ... meaning you have to get real close to people, pouring in the oil and wine is a very intimate thing as in the example of the good Samaritan. Cultivate sympathy, meaning you have to learn how to have it by doing it. And then be their friend, which is really the message if the good Samaritan. That's also why there are many people in need.

Joseph Smith said to the saints in Nauvoo: “We should cultivate sympathy for the afflicted among us. If there is a place on earth where men should cultivate the spirit and pour in the oil and wine in the bosoms of the afflicted, it is in this place; and this spirit is manifest here; and although [a person is] a stranger and afflicted when he arrives, he finds a brother and a friend ready to administer to his necessities."

The people I know that are the most spiritual are the ones who are willing to be your friend at all times ... and are not very quiet about it.

People in need allow us to learn a fundamental principle, friendship. To make friends, you not only have to have mutual compassion for that person but you have to spend intimate time towards a similar goal. Being in need presents opportunity to work towards similar goals intimately with someone. So, we are not talking about dropping your old clothes off at the D.I. or donating money to Help Save the Children fund.

Joseph Smith said:

"Friendship is one of the grand fundamental principles of ‘Mormonism’; [it is designed] to revolutionize and civilize the world, and cause wars and contentions to cease and men to become friends and brothers."

And you thought faith, repentance, baptism and receiving of the Holy Ghost were the first principles, well friendship is one of the 'grand fundamental' principles. So, in other words, we can't live quiet lives. We have to go out of our way to find those in need and reach out to them. I would rather be a wall flower and converse anonymously on the web, myself. But as Joseph Smith said, we have to cultivate our sympathy for the afflicted and pour in the oil and wine ... meaning you have to get real close to people, pouring in the oil and wine is a very intimate thing as in the example of the good Samaritan. Cultivate sympathy, meaning you have to learn how to have it by doing it. And then be their friend, which is really the message if the good Samaritan. That's also why there are many people in need.

Joseph Smith said to the saints in Nauvoo: “We should cultivate sympathy for the afflicted among us. If there is a place on earth where men should cultivate the spirit and pour in the oil and wine in the bosoms of the afflicted, it is in this place; and this spirit is manifest here; and although [a person is] a stranger and afflicted when he arrives, he finds a brother and a friend ready to administer to his necessities."

The people I know that are the most spiritual are the ones who are willing to be your friend at all times ... and are not very quiet about it.

Nice!

Certainly love and friendship is a key to progress, progress for all not just those in the gospel. I would add learning to be unselfish is a fundamental principle. To not think of the self. Oh how many have fallen because they are only concerned about whats in it for them. If you think about it was not this satan's downfall?