Why are we here? Basic but.....

martybess

Have you ever ask yourself what am I to do now that I'm here? What is really important that I get and do while here? I do wonder and so I ask. Simply if there was only a few things (and I think there are) that happens to us while here what would they be????

My reasoning is this:

Think for a moment of those in small undeveloped places throughout the world where many ppl live and die with nothing. Life is simple to them, survive daily. They to are HF children and so there has to be basic things that all are to experiences and have while here other then the known answer, "to gain a body" we all have that and know that much.

Marty

I believe that we are complete and perfect spiritually beings that have come to earth to have a corrupt mortal experience with temptation and sin that cannot be obtained by any other means. I am also of the notion that not only does G-d know the plan of each individual life but that before coming to this experience we all had input into the challenges we would face in this life in order to best prepare us for eternity. I believe we understood the risks we all took by choice what-ever station and situation into which we came to live – not so that we can judge others but engage others in our mutual quests for eternity.

The Traveler

Yes, desertgov, I believe that is true. If we are spirits having a physcial experience, it would stand to reason that part of the experience was overcoming the flesh. And I think we do that by what we choose and how we think about our impulses physical and emotional,etc. It's the gospel of Jesus Christ that teaches us how to choose and what to choose.

We must learn to control the impulses of our Physical bodies. Because the impulses and desires of the flesh are not in line with God's will. We must overcome them to be able to return to our Heavenly Father. The way to do this is tofollow the commandments that God has given us.

Interesting reply - since our 5 senses feed directly into our carnal and sensual nature.

The Traveler

Can I take this even deeper or more basic as it were. Have you even thought about the millions who live out their lives with really nothing. I watched a story about 2 boys who have no parents and live in Africa or neighboring country. They get up everyday before the sun walk miles to work where they dig with their hands for I think it was gold dust or some minerals at any rate the work all day until the sun goes down to make enough for one meal and then walk the miles back to where they sleep. 7 days a week and many do this until their life has ended. Almost like animals where the only thing they think of and do everyday is find food so they can survive. What about them and the millions like them? Life is so basic to so many of HF children. I ask what are we all suppose to gain? Something basic we all must gain. Yes some of us are blessed with more so more is expected but still there's something basic for all to gain. Is the answer just as basic, our bodies? Maybe.

-Marty

Because the impulses and desires of the flesh are not in line with God's will.

I'm not sure I entirely understand this. To procreate is for sure in line with God's will. If there were no impulses or desires of the flesh in some aspect..it wouldn't happen.

I think you're all just trying to nitpick at my post. you know what I mean. The natural man desires sex, without consequence. Some people's bodies desire sex with the same gender. The natural man desires to eat more than is needful. The natural man is vengful and angers easily.

I never said physical things are bad. I said that impulses and physical desires and needs come naturally with a physical body. If left uncontrolled and untempered these desires an impulses lead us away from God. But if we control them and use them properly as God has shown us, then it is a glorious thing.

I'm pretty sure you all knew this already, there was no point in nitpicking my post so I have to type a long explaination of what I mean. Let's keep things simple.

martybess: Yes, the whole point of this earth is just that to gain a body. Everything else is just an extantion of that. Adam and Eve get bodies. They fall. So now we need a Saviour. The rest of us get bodies but because our bodies are imperfect and our control over them is imperfect we must learn to control them. Because of our imperfection we do things that make us unworthy to return to God. Again the need for a Saviour. God gives us commandments to show us the way to control ourselves and livein a way that will allow us to be worthy to return to Him. EVERYTHING is an extention of our purpose of gaining physical bodies. And this was all planned out before we came here. It's called the Plan of Salvation.

Edited by deseretgov

If you think it's to nitpick..that's your perogative. But when a statement is flat out made:

Because the impulses and desires of the flesh are not in line with God's will

I look at it for my own understanding and to see how someone joining the site who might be investigating would take that statement as well. Without an explanation someone investigating would think that we believe that sex is not in line with God's will. I was only asking for further clarification.

Let's make it simple.

Simply if there was only a few things (and I think there are) that happens to us while here what would they be????

learn to use a body, gain knowledge of good/evil, find Christ, baptism, sealed to your soul mate, have kids, learn to be a parent, learn how to love, learn all the things we need to have joy.

Hi Changed!

Man are that they may have joy and without a body this is impossible.

Those you listed above are great thanks. So if I was to break that down to include all human kind and that is what I'm looking for God gave us life on earth to experience what a body is, does and gives to the spirit. To experience what we desired, talked over, and agreed upon with HF and what would be the best for us. Thus life is extremely different for some then others. Some would be tested with prosperity, and great learning etc. where others chose to work and survive from day today in remote parts of the world. Some lived out their lives in the dark ages under tyranny with the heaven closed and others in the latter days with all it brings to us here.

It is really pretty simple then. Life on earth with body and all that entails. It's a tailor made journey.

Marty

Thought about life.

We didn't come to earth to gain spirituality. We brought it with us. So what has happen?

Haha, I thought about my teachers saying all you can bring is your #2 pencil, no notes, books, or calculators.

I think that is the point, all we have is our spirituality, no Heavenly Father standing over our shoulder to give us the answer. All the chalkboards are covered, the books closed but if we whisper quietly, you might just hear the answers every once in a while.

Hi Changed!

Those you listed above are great thanks. So if I was to break that down to include all human kind and that is what I'm looking for God gave us life on earth to experience what a body is, does and gives to the spirit. To experience what we desired, talked over, and agreed upon with HF and what would be the best for us. Thus life is extremely different for some then others. Some would be tested with prosperity, and great learning etc. where others chose to work and survive from day today in remote parts of the world. Some lived out their lives in the dark ages under tyranny with the heaven closed and others in the latter days with all it brings to us here.

It is really pretty simple then. Life on earth with body and all that entails. It's a tailor made journey.

Marty

Marty, I've lived with people like you mentioned. This experience gives me a very good understanding of the Light of Christ. It is not so dark in their footsteps that the Light of Christ cannot shine through. With the very poor of Filipinos in the poor tiny fishing village, it might seem so simple - they wake up, catch fish for their daily sustenance, go hungry if they don't, do it over again the next day. But, rarely is it that simple. Because even with these people, they are faced with choices. Daily. Even without the gospel made manifest to them. In the fishing village you will see how different people react differently to the same extenuating circumstances.

But, in general, I deign to say that because of these circumstances, they are more attuned to the Holy Spirit than the prosperous who has material things as a distraction. So much so that when a missionary passes by the village, most of them look towards him with such spiritual hunger, ready and willing to hear the word of God. They are truly blessed.

Marty, I've lived with people like you mentioned. This experience gives me a very good understanding of the Light of Christ. It is not so dark in their footsteps that the Light of Christ cannot shine through. With the very poor of Filipinos in the poor tiny fishing village, it might seem so simple - they wake up, catch fish for their daily sustenance, go hungry if they don't, do it over again the next day. But, rarely is it that simple. Because even with these people, they are faced with choices. Daily. Even without the gospel made manifest to them. In the fishing village you will see how different people react differently to the same extenuating circumstances.

But, in general, I deign to say that because of these circumstances, they are more attuned to the Holy Spirit than the prosperous who has material things as a distraction. So much so that when a missionary passes by the village, most of them look towards him with such spiritual hunger, ready and willing to hear the word of God. They are truly blessed.

Yes anatess I do agree with you. Their lives are not just simple and they are more a tune to the spirit and we know why. Though their lives are not just black and white as I might of made it seem they have way fewer distraction then us and thus they whisper with their number 2 pencils and hear something in return sometimes while our lives are so busy and have sooooo many loud things in them we can not hear anything but we have a few things in common with them. We have HF, the light of christ and our bodies and thus there is my answer. Thanks!

I believe that we are complete and perfect spiritually beings that have come to earth to have a corrupt mortal experience with temptation and sin that cannot be obtained by any other means. I am also of the notion that not only does G-d know the plan of each individual life but that before coming to this experience we all had input into the challenges we would face in this life in order to best prepare us for eternity. I believe we understood the risks we all took by choice what-ever station and situation into which we came to live – not so that we can judge others but engage others in our mutual quests for eternity.

The Traveler

I think we had opportunities to do good or bad in the prexsistance as well; thats why one third chose to follow satan.:)

I think we had opportunities to do good or bad in the prexsistance as well; thats why one third chose to follow satan.:)

I think that only the complete and perfect spirits will have a corrupted mortal experience.

The Traveler

Why are we here?

...men are, that they might have joy.

(Book of Mormon | 2 Nephi 2:25)

We are here to have fun. Just like any kids when they leave home for the first time, it's an adventure, they look forward to it, they have a good time. When it's over they go back home, a little wiser, and more excited to leave again.

Hi Changed!

Why is joy without a body impossible? In the preexistence, were we all joyless?

...that they might have joy and chocolate.

A loaf of bread

a jug of wine (nonalcoholic, of course!)

and Dove Chocolate Bars

beside me in the wilderness.

Ah, Paradise enough!

I think I have found a new keystone to happiness! :) Thanks, Moksha.

I think that only the complete and perfect spirits will have a corrupted mortal experience.

The Traveler

And the rest that are not complete and perfect spirits which is everyone but Christ have what? I think I know what your saying. Those who were border line good, fence sitters, it's not such a corrupted blast in the face but more about right where they want to be?

Marty

Have you ever ask yourself what am I to do now that I'm here? What is really important that I get and do while here? I do wonder and so I ask. Simply if there was only a few things (and I think there are) that happens to us while here what would they be????

My reasoning is this:

Think for a moment of those in small undeveloped places throughout the world where many ppl live and die with nothing. Life is simple to them, survive daily. They to are HF children and so there has to be basic things that all are to experiences and have while here other then the known answer, "to gain a body" we all have that and know that much.

Marty

Let me share something here, I do know that FATHER will ask a few of HIS children, to go forth to this world and experience mortality, be edified, gain salvation, and return home in order to have different view of mortal life in order to pass judgment on the world. These are they that will not have any worldly significance, church leadership [only if it is necessary to correct or help others to rise to another level in life], but learn patience, chastity, compassion, service to others, and other necessary principles needed to be edified and gain salvation.

We can know who we are in the pre-mortal world. We can know our position prior to this world and in the post-mortal world. We can know the very FATHER and Son and live a quiet life and not be known in this world.

What is important to our salvation here in this mortality, being service to others and build the kingdom in bringing glory to the Son, who in turn will bring glory to the FATHER. :D

FATHER will ask a few of HIS children, to go forth to this world and experience mortality, be edified, gain salvation, and return home in order to have different view of mortal life in order to pass judgment on the world. These are they that will not have any worldly significance, church leadershi

We can know the very FATHER and Son and live a quiet life and not be known in this world.

Yes I do think this is correct and happens more than most realize. The ppl I know that are the most spiritual are those who live quiet lives behind the seance doing much good.