How to Win Peace for 10 Euros a Day!

talisyn

I don't know how I missed this article French troops were killed after Italy hushed up bribes to Taleban - Times Online

How awful! I do like to make fun of the French, but I would never disrespect those serving in a war zone.

Operating in an arc of territory north and east of the Afghan capital, the French apparently believed that they were serving in a relatively benign district. The Italians they had replaced in July had suffered only one combat death in the previous year. For months the Nato headquarters in Kabul had praised Italian reconstruction projects under way around Sarobi. When an estimated 170 insurgents ambushed the force in the Uzbin Valley the upshot was a disaster. “They took us by surprise,” one French troop commander said after the attack.

What happened was...

What the grieving nation did not know was that in the months before the French soldiers arrived in mid-2008, the Italian secret service had been paying tens of thousands of dollars to Taleban commanders and local warlords to keep the area quiet, The Times has learnt. The clandestine payments, whose existence was hidden from the incoming French forces, were disclosed by Western military officials.

Wanna bet a few commanders in Italy are going to have a lot of explaining to do?

Somehow I am not surprised that the Italians were doing this. Italy is one of the countries where you have to pay a bribe fee to send a package to someone there. If bribes have gotten into the mail system then I am not at all surprised that they used bribes to keep the place their troops were serving quiet.