Happy Canadian Thanksgiving

Winnie G

Hi Guys

Well it snowed this week 6 inches, most of it has melted but if you live were I live snow before Halloween is not unusual.

I remember years back my two oldest boys excited to wear their cheep plastic consumes from K-Mart, the ones that come in a box with a mask, years back.

It was so cold they wear their snow suits with the costumes over top. :ph34r::ph34r:

They came back in a manner of minutes with the crouch of the costume broken from the esteem cold.

It broke away like potato chips.

So to say my children can take on any weather would not be an understatement.

Any how I wanted to write and wish you all a happy Canadian Thanksgiving!

Monday is Thanksgiving. Canada gets it out of the way to leave extra time for the mad house of mall shopping. Your turkey has worn off by then and you might just want Turkey by Christmas if you live in Canada.

(In Canada Thanksgiving is a Religious holiday)

Any how this year the family has decided to have some good old childish fun this year.

We have a two year old granddaughter so thanks to Martha Stewart and her printable Turkeys we will all wearing turkey head bands with a turkey on the front.

Coloring the bans will be Kayla’s job, wile my daughter and I do the last of the dinner fixings.

The family freeze this moment on film so I can make home made Thanksgiving cards to my family in the states just in time for their thanksgiving.

I thought some of you might want to check out Martha’s Turkeys and have some childish fun of your own.

Martha Stewart.com

:bouncing:

Originally posted by Winnie G@Oct 8 2005, 10:33 PM

(In Canada Thanksgiving is a Religious holiday)

Hey Winnie, is this a question?

I've always thought the differences between the Canadian and the American thanksgiving celebrations were that ours (Canada) were based on the harvest while the Americans were more from the Pilgrim/Indian relationship. I could be wrong though.

We had ham at our house.

A little Canadian Thanksgiving history:

Thanksgiving in Canada

Canadians trace the holiday to a feast held by Martin Frobisher in Newfoundland in 1578.

The first Thanksgiving Day in Canada after Confederation was observed on April 5, 1872 to celebrate the recovery of the Prince of Wales (later King Edward VII) from a serious illness. Official records do not show that Thanksgiving was observed again until the year 1879, when parliament declared Thanksgiving to be an annual national holiday to give thanks and ask for blessings for an abundant harvest. Every year prior to 1957, parliament proclaimed the date annually, resulting in the date being different annually. In 1957, it was proclaimed by the Federal Government of Canada that Thanksgiving for an abundant harvest was to be observed on the second Monday in October for every year thereafter. Thanksgiving in Ontario is a public holiday, which means most stores and business are closed for the day. Only designated tourist areas (e.g. downtown Toronto - Eaton Centre) are allowed to conduct business with shorter business hours.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canadian_Thanksgiving

M.

Thanks for the info, I remember being told it was a English Church of England idea but this year watching the history channel ( love that channel) had a time line and how and why the October date was chosen and I was impressed. They chose to have it in October so nothing but Remembrance Day was in November. (November 11)

It’s to insure that the country would keep the focus on that day and no other in November.

Hats off to those who kept that in mind

:king::flowers: