Praise To The Man

Vanhin

I was just browsing through some pictures of LDS temples, when I was reminded about the recently dedicated Nauvoo Illinois Temple (2002).

During the construction of the original Nauvoo Temple, Joseph Smith and his brother Hyrum Smith were martyred. Arsons later destroyed the temple, and what was left was destroyed by tornado-force winds. The enemies of the Church thought that the death of the Prophet would put an end to Mormonism.

The new Nauvoo Illinois Temple was dedicated on the very day and hour of the Prophet's martyrdom - 158 years later. I think it makes a bold statement to those who fight against Zion.

Praise to the man who communed with Jehovah!

Jesus anointed that Prophet and Seer.

Blessed to open the last dispensation,

Kings shall extol him, and nations revere.

Praise to his mem’ry, he died as a martyr;

Honored and blest be his ever great name!

Long shall his blood, which was shed by assassins,

Plead unto heav’n while the earth lauds his fame.

Great is his glory and endless his priesthood.

Ever and ever the keys he will hold.

Faithful and true, he will enter his kingdom,

Crowned in the midst of the prophets of old.

Sacrifice brings forth the blessings of heaven;

Earth must atone for the blood of that man.

Wake up the world for the conflict of justice.

Millions shall know “Brother Joseph” again.

Hail to the Prophet, ascended to heaven!

Traitors and tyrants now fight him in vain.

Mingling with Gods, he can plan for his brethren;

Death cannot conquer the hero again.

(Hymns, Praise to the Man, no. 27)

Posted Image

For those interested here are some pictures of the interior -> Nauvoo Temple interior photos - NAUVOO INTERNET NEWS.

Regards,

Vanhin

Praise to his mem’ry, he died as a martyr;

Honored and blest be his ever great name!

Long shall his blood, which was shed by assassins,

Plead unto heav’n while the earth lauds his fame.

Original lyric: "Long shall his blood, which was shed by assassins, / Stain Illinois while the earth lauds his fame."

Original lyric: "Long shall his blood, which was shed by assassins, / Stain Illinois while the earth lauds his fame."

I'd heard that before, and was going to post it, but couldn't remember the exact wording.

I swear i've seen that before but have never been. Is that modeled after Kirkland?

Well, it's sort-of similar, but it's the exact same model as the original Nauvoo temple. You've probably seen prints of that. Here's the Kirtland Temple:

Posted Image

(I took that photo last May.)

I was just browsing through some pictures of LDS temples, when I was reminded about the recently dedicated Nauvoo Illinois Temple (2002).

The new Nauvoo Illinois Temple was dedicated on the very day and hour of the Prophet's martyrdom - 158 years later. I think it makes a bold statement to those who fight against Zion.

Regards,

Vanhin

At that moment of the first dedication session, I was at the Carthage Jail. I was deeply affected by the whole thing, being there at the place of the martyrdom, at that exact minute and day. I attended two dedication sessions later that day.

It was incredible.

HiJolly

I swear i've seen that before but have never been. Is that modeled after Kirkland?

Naaa... I've actually been to the Kirtland temple and got to go inside, unattended, and walk around and look at everything in every room.

I think the structures are similar in design, being basically rectangular with an extended portion on the front top with a steeple extended up from it. But, in reality, they really don't look enough alike to gather that they were patterend after each other. Perhaps in some basic ways, but they are very distinct from each other.