No Wedding For Me

NOWED4ME

Guest Member_Deleted

Originally posted by bizabra@Nov 12 2005, 01:36 PM

Anyone of any religion can re-enact and retake their wedding vows.  People do it all the time!  I recently went to a 15 year wedding celebration that was a bona-fide wedding ceremony, in the same place and time as the first one, complete with the same wedding dress, bridesmaids, everything. :rolleyes:

Not every month... or a couple of times a year... as often as you please and not cost a cent...

****and not with the gift of giving it to someone who has passed on.... it is way more special than what you are trying to compare it to....

Originally posted by Please+Nov 12 2005, 01:43 PM-->

<!--QuoteBegin-bizabra@Nov 12 2005, 01:36 PM

Anyone of any religion can re-enact and retake their wedding vows.  People do it all the time!  I recently went to a 15 year wedding celebration that was a bona-fide wedding ceremony, in the same place and time as the first one, complete with the same wedding dress, bridesmaids, everything. :rolleyes:

Not every month... or a couple of times a year... as often as you please and not cost a cent...

****and not with the gift of giving it to someone who has passed on.... it is way more special than what you are trying to compare it to....

I agree there is nothing on this earth to compare it to.

Originally posted by Please+Nov 12 2005, 12:27 PM-->

<!--QuoteBegin-bizabra@Nov 12 2005, 12:23 PM

Yes, I agree, selfishness abounds.  But I stand by my statement that weddings should be occasions of joyful celebration that include family and friends from the couples community.  But, I believe that folks should be free to have the marriage they want, and to heck with what anyone else thinks or feels, even if it sows seeds of discord. Just be prepared to live with the consequences, that's all I have to say about it.

I agree... my wedding was a mess... and I resented my mother and in-laws for it for years.. I still wish I had just eloped... LOL

The more I see how many marriage sadly end in divorse, the more I yearn for an elopement instead of the all drawn out Cinderella wedding fairy tale with the white horse drawn cart procession, when I marry.

So much effort goes into every detail in the wedding instead of working on the relationship for the marriage. I'd rather get to know him inside and out. Discovering all of his ideosyncracies and quirks as well as his dreams and hopes is way more important than worrying if the fucia pink tafeta chosen for the bridesmaids dresses will clash with the maid of honors red hair.

Lets get real. Are we marrying the guy or the latest edition of Martha Stewarts Weddings Magazine?

One classic example of this was marked by the run away bride Jennifer Wilbanks, who under the stress of numerous wedding showers, rehearsal dinners, and dress fittings bolted cross country this year.

Personally, as a romantic :wub: I prefer the old jewish wedding feasts that are mentioned in the gopsel of John where Jesus changed the water into wine.

The way it goes the guy betrodes the girl and goes back home to set up a honeymoon suite. He has to furnish it with everything that is needed for the 7 day honeymoon. Once the room is completed and perfect, his father gives him the ok to get his bride. In the middle of the night thru trumpet calls the bride is alerted that the groom is on his way and she prepares herself. He comes and takes her back to the honeymoon suite. Now for the next 7 days the guest celebrate and after the week is over the bride and groom emerge as husband and wife.

Mom, however disagrees with me, so sometimes just to tease her I will tell her,"Its ok. You can go to the reception. I will leave you a Pepperidge Farm Cake and a six pack and I will see you a week later." :P

NOWED4 me sounds like you can't learn when you already have a negative oppionion and aren't willing to open your mind and heart and soul and listen to this neice and see what she thinks is important, the worst you can do is make her chose what to do on HER day. if you humble yiourself a little bit then mabey you can UNDERSTAND what means so much to her.. dont take it personally.

Guest Member_Deleted

Justlooking:

Personally, as a romantic  :wub: I prefer the old jewish wedding feasts that are mentioned in the gopsel of John where Jesus changed the water into wine.

The way it goes the guy betrodes the girl and goes back home to set up a honeymoon suite. He has to furnish it with everything that is needed for the 7 day honeymoon. Once the room is completed and perfect, his father gives him the ok to get his bride. In the middle of the night thru trumpet calls the bride is alerted that the groom is on his way and she prepares herself. He comes and takes her back to the honeymoon suite. Now for the next 7 days the guest celebrate and after the week is over the bride and groom emerge as husband and wife.

Mom, however disagrees with me, so sometimes just to tease her I will tell her,"Its ok. You can go to the reception. I will leave you a Pepperidge Farm Cake and a six pack and I will see you a week later." :P

LOL... you are too funny... I think you would be fun to have as a daughter... :D and I would let you have your jewish wedding... as long as you were sealed in the temple... :D:P

Originally posted by NOWED4ME@Nov 11 2005, 07:56 PM

My niece is LDS and getting married soon.  We are non-LDS and are very hurt by the Mormon Church.  I take it that non-Mormons are unworthy to step inside a temple.... 

Please help me understand...because I don't.

Hi NOWED4ME, I understand how you feel, I am non-LDS and have LDS family. The new trend, which is happening slowly, is for LDS brides and groom to have a ring ceremony for non-member family and friends. This way many can feel very included in the wedding celebrations. My nephew and his new wife had one and it was very nice. The bride and groom can personalize the ring ceremony how ever they wish. My nephew and his wife had a Scotish theme since both have a Scotish heritage. Not sure how soon your niece is getting married but if you can, ask her if she has considered having a ring ceremony. Here's a link for information:

Ring Ceremonies

For couples with large groups of non-members attending, a ring ceremony is becoming the trend. You can make the exchange as personalized as you like...

http://www.ldsweddings.com/articles/sacred/sacred4.html

M.

I was doing some reading on another topic for a post in ldstalk and came across these comments. They are found on the lds.org website under study topics on the main page under Marriage and Family and the importance and the talk is Marriage in the Lords Way part 2 by Elder Cree- L Kofford

"What about Nonmember Parents or Relatives?

Kerstyn, you have expressed concern about the nonmembers in your family. One of the greatest emotional pressures on brides or grooms is when parents or other close relatives are not members of the Church. They generally don’t understand what’s going on, nor do they have any appreciation for it. In the case of parents, their whole lives have been lived in anticipation of the time when they would see their son or daughter married in the only kind of marriage with which they have any familiarity. So when you announce to them that you are going to the temple and they cannot attend, they naturally feel a great loss and a great exclusion. What do you do? How do you handle it? The answers are probably as different as the various kinds of individuals involved, but here are a few ideas that might help:

1. First, be very understanding of their feelings, and, as much as possible, help them comprehend what’s going to occur and why they can’t be with you. Some of the thoughts I have already expressed may be of some help in accomplishing this objective.

2. Even as you do that, however, I would not do it in a tone of apology but in great love. You need not be apologetic about God’s ways. You should, however, be empathetic and understanding of their emotions.

3. Try to make them feel as much a part of what’s going on that day as you can. Invite them to come to the temple, and arrange for someone to be with them while you are in the temple. It’s possible they might like to go through the visitors’ center, if available, or do any of a number of other activities available, including just enjoying the beautiful grounds that surround the temple. As you leave the temple for pictures and other activities, you can rejoin your relatives and involve them in all that’s going on.

You may want to arrange with your bishop to hold a meeting for those who don’t have temple recommends. This meeting could include prayer, music, and remarks by a priesthood holder, but it should not include a ceremony or the exchange of vows.

Over the years, I’ve seen such activities a number of times, and when they were handled properly I have never yet seen a nonmember or less-active member take offense. If they know how much this temple ordinance means to you, they will give you the support you desire.

4. The Brethren counsel Church members not to perform a marriage ceremony following the temple sealing. Occasionally, you’ll find a young couple who will want to do a mock ceremony “so my mother won’t feel left out.” But that makes a mockery out of your temple sealing. It will impact all that happens to you in the temple. You will not enjoy the same level of spiritual involvement and spiritual enlightenment you would otherwise have received. And you will find that you do not satisfy those not able to attend the temple ceremony. Your bishop will be happy to discuss with you those kinds of activities which would be appropriate following the temple sealing."

I feel the same way

Originally posted by BenRaines@Nov 18 2005, 04:53 PM

4. The Brethren counsel Church members not to perform a marriage ceremony following the temple sealing. Occasionally, you’ll find a young couple who will want to do a mock ceremony “so my mother won’t feel left out.” But that makes a mockery out of your temple sealing. It will impact all that happens to you in the temple. You will not enjoy the same level of spiritual involvement and spiritual enlightenment you would otherwise have received. And you will find that you do not satisfy those not able to attend the temple ceremony. Your bishop will be happy to discuss with you those kinds of activities which would be appropriate following the temple sealing."

Ben, how do you feel about ring ceremonies? There are no vows exchanged, it is just an exchange of rings - plus words from the Bishop, music and such.

For my nephew his bishop encouraged them to have a ring ceremony because of the many non-member family and friends both of them had.

M.

I think a ring ceremony and words about what went on that day or another day when the couple were sealed would be appropriate. Something very simple. At the reception or something like that.

In the temple for a temple sealing/wedding. The exchanging of rings is done after the sealing is complete. It is not part of the sealing/wedding process. It is something I have seen done but not across the alter of the temple but while they are standing next to each other as husband and wife. Should not include words of betrothal or things like that.

I have a problem with all the fancy and wasteful exensive of a big fancy wedding and or reception after such a simple wedding ceremony. I have seen brides with dresses that cost enough to feed a small country for a week. :) Just kidding but probably not to far from the truth.

Originally posted by LDSister@Nov 19 2005, 12:28 AM

Personally, I think what would really be inappropriate is having a baby first, and then getting married.  :P

Nowdays, I'd just be happy that the kids are making it legal.

I'm confused? How does this relate to the rest of the topic? (unless I've forgotten something from an earlier post, in which case I apologise!) :dontknow: