Temple baptisms

EQ_Guy

Has anyone ever baptised in the Temple? If so, is it hard to bring the person back up out of the water? I should be Endowed by March and I sooo want to perform baptisms.

Also, why do they want you to tell them if you're Endowed when you do baptisms? Do they give you garments to wear or something?

since i'm obviously a chick, i can't say much based on experience other than being the one being dunked.

however, i had it (and so did those baptizing me, both for myself and when i went to the temple) really easy, since i'm short (5'2) and the water came up to my chest/bust so all i had to do is lean back a little and i was under. they didn't have to put much effort into it.

and also again, seconding what Jibbers said about their asking if you're endowed or not before a session.

well, there's an entire science to the proper form of baptizing a person. The highlights are, however,

1) place your hand high on the back. Most will say between the shoulder blades, but a couple inches higher doesn't hurt

2) step to your side with your right foot. Widening your stance when your bring them up allows you to use your leg muscle more and your arm less

3) make sure the person is bending their knees. They should "sit down" in the water before leaning back

4) if the person kicks their right foot behind them when they bend their knees (as if kneeling), they can assist you by standing up. However, this isn't a trick I try to teach baptizees. They are there to have a spiritual experience, and so it isn't fair to make them think about their form. If they bend their knees, there usually isn't a problem

5) stand as close to the name display as possible. you want their head far far away from the walls when they lean back (especially important for tall people)

well, there's an entire science to the proper form of baptizing a person. The highlights are, however,

1) place your hand high on the back. Most will say between the shoulder blades, but a couple inches higher doesn't hurt

2) step to your side with your right foot. Widening your stance when your bring them up allows you to use your leg muscle more and your arm less

3) make sure the person is bending their knees. They should "sit down" in the water before leaning back

4) if the person kicks their right foot behind them when they bend their knees (as if kneeling), they can assist you by standing up. However, this isn't a trick I try to teach baptizees. They are there to have a spiritual experience, and so it isn't fair to make them think about their form. If they bend their knees, there usually isn't a problem

5) stand as close to the name display as possible. you want their head far far away from the walls when they lean back (especially important for tall people)

Wow, thank you for all that information. I wish there was a way to practice a few times before I actually do it. :)

also, make sure you don't get going too fast....so your "spotters" can let you know if you didn't get 'em all the way under....incl the girls withthe long hair...the scrunchie will wander off

Yup, I've seen that a number of times when they have to redo the person because all of their hair didn't go under.

Those girls with long hair..if they have it in a pony tail..they can tuck the hair into their clothing. That might help solve the problem of it not going under.

Wow, thank you for all that information. I wish there was a way to practice a few times before I actually do it. :)

the first tiem i baptised in the temple with a single's ward temple trip we had practiced baptisms by having a firend stand and you lean them back as directed above and we take turns pracitceing so it wasnt difficult when we did it for real.