A priesthood question

Maya

Any worthy Melchezidek or Aaronic holder can bless and pass the sacrament. The ideal place is in Sacrament under the supervision of the Bishop or his counselors, if he isn't present. If a person is unable to attend Sacrament meeting the Aaronic Priesthood, with their leader can bring the Sacrament to the person's home, usually the Bishop is asked if this is ok.

There are circumstances in our world today when its not possible to make it to Sacrament Meeting or the Bishop isn't available. One situation that comes to mind is LDS Military. They gather as a group and bless/pass the Sacrament to each other. This is perfectly appropriate.

so to the OP: If you can not possibly make it to church. Try to get the Bishop's approval. If the phone lines are down and you can't reach the bishop, its ok for a priesthood holder to handle this ordinance at home. BTW, Its the Aaronic Priesthood who blesses it...the Melchezidek who supervise unless there isn't Aaronic Priesthood present.

I don't understand why there is so much confusion on this issue

The Sacrament is presided over by the Bishop as the presiding authority in the Aaronic Priesthood. Also, the Sacrament is an ordinance related to baptism and repentance, the keys to which are held by the Aaronic Priesthood. When the bishop is not available to supervise the administration of the Sacrament, it is typical for him to designate a member of the Melchizedek Priesthood to supervise in his place, but he could just as well assign the Teachers Quorum President to supervise the administration. In either case, the ordinance must be authorized by the bishop prior to it's performance.

I think there's a lot of misunderstanding in this thread about members serving in the military. It's not like in WWI or WWII, where there were a few scattered members here and there, on either side, hiding out in random foxholes together. There are organized church units in the middle east. There are five military branches in Afghanistan. There was an Iraq District formed last year. There are not only LDS members serving in war-torn areas, but there are leaders with keys as well.

I doubt when any of the men of WWII broke bread that they claimed tasted like sawdust and used their canteen water for the sacrament were worried about a Bishop being around especially being that there was only a handful of men (LDS) and being in combat territory.

I'm sure they were much more concerned with renewing their covenants.

I believe in war time they try to have a military-member leader as close as possible to all members serving. I think those men may be given permission to perform the ordinance, and possibly special instructions on how to view their worthiness.

Maya, we were in a bad ice storn last winter and were without power for 13 days. The temperatures stayed significantly below freezing and we didn't have church for 3 weeks. I wouldn't consider blessing the sacrament in my home without the Bishop's permission, even in that situation. Had it been longer, maybe I would have considered it. But, I would make every effort to talk to the Bishop before I did, and there would have to be little chance of things getting better soon.

Just my opinion.

The Sacrament is presided over by the Bishop as the presiding authority in the Aaronic Priesthood. Also, the Sacrament is an ordinance related to baptism and repentance, the keys to which are held by the Aaronic Priesthood. When the bishop is not available to supervise the administration of the Sacrament, it is typical for him to designate a member of the Melchizedek Priesthood to supervise in his place, but he could just as well assign the Teachers Quorum President to supervise the administration. In either case, the ordinance must be authorized by the bishop prior to it's performance.

Unless the Bishop is not available...... Then any worthy Aaronic Priesthood holder can perform this ordinance. They are given the keys when they become a Priest.

I agree with Justice. In our home my husband wouldn't consider blessing the Sacrament without permission from the Bishop. That doesn't mean that if the need arose that he wouldn't do it. We have discussed this particular issue in the past.

EDIT: D&C 20: 46

46 The priest’s duty is to preach, teach, expound, exhort, and baptize, and administer the sacrament,

Edited by applepansy

Unless the Bishop is not available...... Then any worthy Aaronic Priesthood holder can perform this ordinance. They are given the keys when they become a Priest.

If the bishop is unable to preside over a ward, do you know who the keys default to then?

(hint: it's not a priest)

I agree with Justice. In our home my husband wouldn't consider blessing the Sacrament without permission from the Bishop. That doesn't mean that if the need arose that he wouldn't do it. We have discussed this particular issue in the past.

EDIT: D&C 20: 46

46 The priest’s duty is to preach, teach, expound, exhort, and baptize, and administer the sacrament,

For starters, you've taken my statement much too literally.

Second, who administers the Sacrament is irrelevant to who supervises its administration.

Lastly, my statement was made to correct your statement that the Melchizedek Priesthood has the primary responsibility to oversee (supervise) the administration of the Sacrament. My point was that the Aaronic Priesthood bears the primary responsibility of supervising and administering the Sacrament.

Actually, one last thing. Priests are not given keys to administer the Sacrament. They are given the authority to administer it. I know of no reference to keys related to the Sacrament. I think this is merely a matter of semantics, but keys all to themselves in the priesthood and I think it's important to use the term correctly.

I believe in war time they try to have a military-member leader as close as possible to all members serving. I think those men may be given permission to perform the ordinance, and possibly special instructions on how to view their worthiness.

Maya, we were in a bad ice storn last winter and were without power for 13 days. The temperatures stayed significantly below freezing and we didn't have church for 3 weeks. I wouldn't consider blessing the sacrament in my home without the Bishop's permission, even in that situation. Had it been longer, maybe I would have considered it. But, I would make every effort to talk to the Bishop before I did, and there would have to be little chance of things getting better soon.

Just my opinion.

We had an ice storm like that in Maine about 12 years ago. When it was apparent that the roads would still be impassable on Sunday, the bishop organized the ward into groups. Members were able to travel short distances to another member's house where the Sacrament was administered.

For starters, you've taken my statement much too literally.

Second, who administers the Sacrament is irrelevant to who supervises its administration.

Lastly, my statement was made to correct your statement that the Melchizedek Priesthood has the primary responsibility to oversee (supervise) the administration of the Sacrament. My point was that the Aaronic Priesthood bears the primary responsibility of supervising and administering the Sacrament.

Actually, one last thing. Priests are not given keys to administer the Sacrament. They are given the authority to administer it. I know of no reference to keys related to the Sacrament. I think this is merely a matter of semantics, but keys all to themselves in the priesthood and I think it's important to use the term correctly.

Thank you. I agree. I used the wrong word. Authority instead of keys is the correct wording.

Wingnut, the Scriptures are clear when it comes to who admisisters the Sacrament. We're not talking about presiding over a ward here.

A bishop is who holds the keys and has the authority to exercise them in his ward, so who presides over the ward should be a factor.

A bishop is who holds the keys and has the authority to exercise them in his ward, so who presides over the ward should be a factor.

Yes you're right. However, if the bishop is not available, if you cannot reach your ward, if you are in circumstances that prohibit you from attending, then its appropriate for the highest priesthood holder to preside and for a priest to administer the Sacrament.

That is in the scriptures and ts also in one of the lints to church policy that is further up n this thread.

This doesn't mean you don't inform your Bishop or consult with your Bishop if you have the opportunity. Nor did I say the Bishop should be ignored. Please don't misread me.

No marig of error here! Thank you

, who administers the Sacrament is irrelevant to who supervises its administration.

the Aaronic Priesthood bears the primary responsibility of supervising and administering the Sacrament.

Priests are not given keys to administer the Sacrament. They are given the authority to administer it.

Thank you. I agree. I used the wrong word. Authority instead of keys is the correct wording.

I am afraid the keys came from me... I mean :D the word... because of my brain not working in english all the time... so I used wrong words to begin with, sorry. Completely frogot the word authority and especially supervise. I believe Applepanty was just using my vocabulary... pardon me...

It has been a very interesting thread and at least I have learned a great deal about priesthood in this. I never been any specially interested in priesthood and ist functions and there stil is a lot I dont know.. I am just not interested, except when I get interested..

All answers were very good but I think MO said it really well. I never thought of its relation to babtism, whih is a very important thing. Of course I knew it was rependance, but put it that way made it clearer to me. Thank you.

:)