Gossip

Guest LDSister

Guest LDSister

Gossip: Satan’s Snare

By Elder Gene R. Cook

of the First Quorum of the Seventy

Gene R. Cook, “Gossip: Satan’s Snare,” Tambuli, Sept. 1981, 6

Solemnly, people began to gather outside the mission president’s office. Exchanging astonished glances, many could still not believe that they had been summoned to a church court. The officers of the court were full of love and understanding, but very serious in their investigation of the charges; those present could lose their membership in The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. The charge was not immorality or apostasy; they were accused of speaking evil of a neighbor.

A fine brother had been slandered by those gathered together that evening, accused of the serious charge of immorality. He was completely innocent, but the great damage that had been done by “those whom he counted as his friends” would not be easily repaired. Who could measure the near destruction of this good soul? Who could measure the impact on the branch, as its fellowship was eroded? And what about the effect on those nonmembers who also became involved? Who could ever undo the evil that had affected hundreds of lives?

It had happened so easily. It began with simple words like—

“Did you hear … ?”

“Sister Joan said …”

“I have heard that he told her …”

“I am not sure about this, but …”

“Mr. Sanchez’s cousin said that he thought …”

“I don’t want to say anything bad, but …”

“If you won’t repeat this, I guess I could tell you that …”

Sin has many tools, the saying goes, but a lie is the handle that fits them all. If you are one of those who think it permissible to tell small lies, you may soon find yourself unable to distinguish between small and big lies.

Those conducting the court turned to the Lord’s explicit instructions on the subject. Through Moses, he told the people: “Thou shalt not go up and down as a talebearer among thy people” (Lev. 19:16). The book of Proverbs describes the effects of evil speaking: “A fool’s mouth is his destruction, and his lips are the snare of his soul. The words of a talebearer are as wounds, and they go down into the innermost parts of the belly” (Prov. 18:7–8).

Some may think they build their self-esteem and gain the attention and respect of others by telling false tales, but they actually become Satan’s agents. The Book of Mormon records that before the coming of the Savior to the Americas, “Satan did stir them up to do iniquity continually; yea, he did go about spreading rumors and contentions upon all the face of the land, that he might harden the hearts of the people against that which was good and against that which should come” (Hel. 16:22).

Satan succeeded in hardening the hearts of the people, and some thirty years later, after the great destruction of the wicked, the prophet Nephi recorded that “the devil laugheth, and his angels rejoice, because of the slain … of my people” (3 Ne. 9:2).

Divine cautions to guard our words are no less emphasized in modern-day scripture. The Lord said to the Prophet Joseph Smith: “And see that there is no iniquity in the church, neither hardness with each other, neither lying, backbiting, nor evil speaking” (D&C 20:54). “Thou shalt not speak evil of thy neighbor, nor do him any harm” (D&C 42:27). “Cease to contend one with another; cease to speak evil one to another” (D&C 136:23).

The Lord loves us and desires that we love one another. May we follow this further counsel given to the prophet Joseph Smith: “Therefore, strengthen your brethren in all your conversations” (D&C 108:7), and “Let your words tend to edify one another” (see D&C 136:24).

Let each of us be careful that we do not contribute in any way to what the prophet Enoch saw in a vision thousands of years ago, when he recorded: “And he beheld Satan; and he had a great chain in his hand, and it veiled the whole face of the earth with darkness; and he looked up and laughed, and his angels rejoiced” (Moses 7:26).

May the continual cultivation of the Holy Spirit drive out evil thoughts and inappropriate words, so that spirituality will grow and prevail, for as we control our tongues we are able to control our whole beings.

Gospel topics: evil, gossip

© 2005 Intellectual Reserve, Inc. All rights reserved.

Originally posted by LDSister@Nov 20 2005, 04:07 PM

By Elder Gene R. Cook

Solemnly, people began to gather outside the mission president’s office. Exchanging astonished glances, many could still not believe that they had been summoned to a church court. The officers of the court were full of love and understanding, but very serious in their investigation of the charges; those present could lose their membership in The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. The charge was not immorality or apostasy; they were accused of speaking evil of a neighbor.

A fine brother had been slandered by those gathered together that evening, accused of the serious charge of immorality. He was completely innocent, but the great damage that had been done by “those whom he counted as his friends” would not be easily repaired. Who could measure the near destruction of this good soul? Who could measure the impact on the branch, as its fellowship was eroded? And what about the effect on those nonmembers who also became involved? Who could ever undo the evil that had affected hundreds of lives?

It had happened so easily. It began with simple words like—

“Did you hear … ?”

“Sister Joan said …”

“I have heard that he told her …”

“I am not sure about this, but …”

“Mr. Sanchez’s cousin said that he thought …”

“I don’t want to say anything bad, but …”

“If you won’t repeat this, I guess I could tell you that …”

Sin has many tools, the saying goes, but a lie is the handle that fits them all. If you are one of those who think it permissible to tell small lies, you may soon find yourself unable to distinguish between small and big lies.

Those conducting the court turned to the Lord’s explicit instructions on the subject. Through Moses, he told the people: “Thou shalt not go up and down as a talebearer among thy people” (Lev. 19:16). The book of Proverbs describes the effects of evil speaking: “A fool’s mouth is his destruction, and his lips are the snare of his soul. The words of a talebearer are as wounds, and they go down into the innermost parts of the belly” (Prov. 18:7–8).

Some may think they build their self-esteem and gain the attention and respect of others by telling false tales, but they actually become Satan’s agents. The Book of Mormon records that before the coming of the Savior to the Americas, “Satan did stir them up to do iniquity continually; yea, he did go about spreading rumors and contentions upon all the face of the land, that he might harden the hearts of the people against that which was good and against that which should come” (Hel. 16:22).

Satan succeeded in hardening the hearts of the people, and some thirty years later, after the great destruction of the wicked, the prophet Nephi recorded that “the devil laugheth, and his angels rejoice, because of the slain … of my people” (3 Ne. 9:2).

Divine cautions to guard our words are no less emphasized in modern-day scripture. The Lord said to the Prophet Joseph Smith: “And see that there is no iniquity in the church, neither hardness with each other, neither lying, backbiting, nor evil speaking” (D&C 20:54). “Thou shalt not speak evil of thy neighbor, nor do him any harm” (D&C 42:27). “Cease to contend one with another; cease to speak evil one to another” (D&C 136:23).

The Lord loves us and desires that we love one another. May we follow this further counsel given to the prophet Joseph Smith: “Therefore, strengthen your brethren in all your conversations” (D&C 108:7), and “Let your words tend to edify one another” (see D&C 136:24).

Let each of us be careful that we do not contribute in any way to what the prophet Enoch saw in a vision thousands of years ago, when he recorded: “And he beheld Satan; and he had a great chain in his hand, and it veiled the whole face of the earth with darkness; and he looked up and laughed, and his angels rejoiced” (Moses 7:26).

May the continual cultivation of the Holy Spirit drive out evil thoughts and inappropriate words, so that spirituality will grow and prevail, for as we control our tongues we are able to control our whole beings.

Gospel topics: evil, gossip

© 2005 Intellectual Reserve, Inc. All rights reserved.

Is this the same person as Ari 2?

Guest LDSister

My username, Ari, was stolen and I was banned. A moderator changed my name to Ari2, but I never used Ari2 and asked for my name to be changed back to Ari. However, for some reason, that wasn't done, so I am using the name LDSister.

Originally posted by LDSister@Nov 20 2005, 03:17 PM

My username, Ari, was stolen and I was banned. A moderator changed my name to Ari2, but I never used Ari2 and asked for my name to be changed back to Ari. However, for some reason, that wasn't done, so I am using the name LDSister.

And now for a more accurate telling of the same story.

While fooling around in the chat room - good natured fun sort of stuff - a moderator did something that unfortunately resulted in an unintended ban on the username Ari from the Chat.

When I found out about it, I tried to fix it, could not, asked Ari via PM if she wanted me to try changing her name to Ari 2 in an attempt to get her back into the Chat. Ari responed to me that she wanted to try that - I tried that and it failed. I then tried to change her name back to Ari but the message kept coming back that the username Ari was already in use. So I told Ari that I would request an Administrator (Heather or Spencer) to fix, 1. her name and 2. her access to Chat - and that's what I did. They haven't been around to follow up yet.

I mention this publically because LDSister's (Ari) post says her name was stolen - it wasn't - it was just a joke that had an unintened consequence. The post also makes it seem as if her name was changed against her will (which it was not) and perhaps even that we are deliberately not changing her name back to the original.

Ari, maybe that is not how you intended your post to sound, but that's how it sounds to me. As I told you (I hope I told you) I am sorry you are having troubles but it wasn't deliberate and I again apologize for any inconvenience.

BTW Ari, Didn't you notice when you posted the article that is was copyrighted? Since the article dealt with moral or ethical behavior shouldn't you try to model ethical behavior in the posting of said article?

Next time please use a link instead of violating a copyright.

Originally posted by Please@Nov 20 2005, 04:21 PM

Snow...Why are you chasing her around...? Leave her a lone...

Well Peace.

1. It is illegal and certainly unethical to violate copyright law. And since you asked - the same applies to you as you also posted a copyrighted article.

2. She reported the aforementioned incident, to which I was a party, in an inaccurate way.

Feel free to not chase me around any time you like Peace.

Originally posted by Setheus@Nov 20 2005, 05:32 PM

I've deleted a few posts.  Lets nip this problem of bickering in the bud.

Remember, "tongue in cheek" then, turn the other cheek.  And after that, just hold your tongue if your only comment is a smartelic or negitively charged one.

Thanks guys! :)

So thats what happened LOL ;)

Guest Member_Deleted

Originally posted by Setheus@Nov 20 2005, 07:32 PM

I've deleted a few posts.  Lets nip this problem of bickering in the bud.

Remember, "tongue in cheek" then, turn the other cheek.  And after that, just hold your tongue if your only comment is a smartelic or negitively charged one.

Thanks guys! :)

deleted

Originally posted by LDSister@Nov 20 2005, 03:07 PM

By Elder Gene R. Cook

I like Gene R. Cook.

They say that every GA has a spiritual gift and I am told by those who know him that Elder Cook's particular gift is the interpretation of Scripture. Apparently made his money young in life insurance.

On my mission he was the area president and his two assistants were assigned to my district so I used to go over to his house a lot. What I liked the most about him was that on his bookself he had a replica of that naked sculture, Rodin's The Kiss. Not much really but I was a missionary at the time so anything was worth noting.

Gossip is a hard thing to avoid in life we can try as hard as we can but even just a little can hurt,

One time the Bishops wife and i were sluffing sunday school together, we were sitting on a couch in the foyer when her hubby came up to us and said..."your sluffing sunday school what are you doing gossiping?" her reply to the dear Bishop was "Honey were not gossiping were just concerned"

Interesting point she made, Now were we concerned yes, but would that be considered gossip ...no I don't think so, we weren't saying or spreading any thing bad about the person................... Just a thought :hmmm:

Good point LisaJo. I think the difference between gossiping and caring or being concerned is what we do about it. Do we keep telling everyone we see what is going on or do we try to be a support and strength to the person. Whether that support is a hug and "Can I do anything?" or go help tend their children for an hour or run an errand for them, or listening to them pour their heart out for an hour. We make friends by being friends and keeping their lives private from the wagging lips of those that only want to hurt and pull down.

Snow, I have heard that Bro. Cook is fantastic speaker and person.

What happened to Setheus' challenge to stop this? Please, ignore the bad posts, stop pointing fingers and finding fault and let it goooooooo... If we ignore the negative garbage, it will hopefully stop because they are not getting what they want, to aggravate us into loosing it... JUST STOP THE GARBAGE. IT IS NOT WORTH IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!