Budget Cuts

Palerider

I haven't read the entire thing but I worry what elmininating EIC would do to those single parents families that are struggling already.

If you read the article it said only 3% of eligible participants claimed the credit, and 80% of those were not complying with the requirements.

So out of the 3%, only .6% of those eligible were complying with the requirements.

If this is accurate it seems like a good place to start cutting. Also it is not eliminating the EIC, but the AEIC, which is different.

Edit: FWIW, the article is only 181 words long, according to Word.

Edited by OmahaLDS

Edit: FWIW, the article is only 181 words long, according to Word.

Please don't be condescending to me or to anyone else on this site. You're perceived image of yourself being the expert on everything is getting old.

Please don't be condescending to me or to anyone else on this site. You're perceived image of yourself being the expert on everything is getting old.

It is not condescending.

The difference was that I read the article. I am not the "expert on everything," but between us I read the article and you did not. This does give me an edge in opinion formation. If you want to get angry, why get angry at me?

I have never claimed to be "the expert on everything" but I do actually wait until I have read up on something before I form an opinion. Marx is one of the most popular figures in modern political discourse, but I would hazard that only 2% of so of the people involved have actually read Marx. This is not expertise by any stretch of the imagination, but it does help.

I would have been okay with your post and I would have said.."Yes you are correct, I should have read the article all the way through."

It was the last line I have issues with. You added it as an after thought and to me that is condescending. It was a comment that was uncalled for.

I wasn't even aware there was an advanced earned income credit. That would have been nice this year, but then I would be nervous about making more than the limit after all. I know if you take the EITC when you shouldn't, you aren't eligible for years after that. I think this is going to be the first year we qualify and hopefully the last.

I didn't take the advanced credit that you can during the year. I only claimed it on my year end taxes. It was the one thing that saved me in all my years of being a single mother with 3 young children.

I would have been okay with your post and I would have said.."Yes you are correct, I should have read the article all the way through."

It was the last line I have issues with. You added it as an after thought and to me that is condescending. It was a comment that was uncalled for.

What if I found your comment uncalled for? Let's honestly compare the situations. What if I find it offensive when people comment without actually conducting research (usually as simple as reading) first?

There are scores of subjects here where not much effort goes into the opinion before it is posted. I would think that the responsibility for the comments rests with the individual making them, not someone for pointing out how uninformed they are. I have never understood why people get upset when they put so little effort into education before making comments, but that may simply be the Aspergers speaking.

Omaha, you need to stop.

This is not the kind of forum where you can lecture people on how to make their opinion known.

Although you have a good point, it gets lost in the delivery.

If you disagree with Pam's post, say so and explain why. That's all you need to do.

I didn't take the advanced credit that you can during the year. I only claimed it on my year end taxes. It was the one thing that saved me in all my years of being a single mother with 3 young children.

Ditto - from when I was a single parent. It really helpd me out. And I think it gives a break to those who are working to improve their situation. That is the kind of help I like to see our government give.

:)

What if I found your comment uncalled for? Let's honestly compare the situations. What if I find it offensive when people comment without actually conducting research (usually as simple as reading) first?

There are scores of subjects here where not much effort goes into the opinion before it is posted. I would think that the responsibility for the comments rests with the individual making them, not someone for pointing out how uninformed they are. I have never understood why people get upset when they put so little effort into education before making comments, but that may simply be the Aspergers speaking.

Just because someone doesn't list all the reasons why they have come to a certain conclusion does not automatically mean they haven't studied and researched a subject. Implying that people who disagree with you have no clue what they are talking about (ie., 'put little effort into education') is a violation of site rule #3.

Hidden

Omaha, you need to stop.

This is not the kind of forum where you can lecture people on how to make their opinion known.

Although you have a good point, it gets lost in the delivery.

If you disagree with Pam's post, say so and explain why. That's all you need to do.

Just because someone doesn't list all the reasons why they have come to a certain conclusion does not automatically mean they haven't studied and researched a subject. Implying that people who disagree with you have no clue what they are talking about (ie., 'put little effort into education') is a violation of site rule #3.

Let's be honest here. I am not telling anyone how to form an opinion, I am saying that when you admit to not reading an article, commenting on it is somewhat absurd.

Can you really claim, "Implying that people who disagree with you have no clue what they are talking about (ie., 'put little effort into education') is a violation of site rule #3" when the issue is that someone did not actually read an article before commenting on it? Is it a violation to point out that if you never read something you really have not put any effort into informing yourself, and cannot possibly claim to understand it? Is this how moderation is conducted, forming an opinion without actually reading anything?

I have never found anyone, anywhere, who can come to a conclusion on an article without reading it.

Is this really acceptable? John Doe, you called the President "clown boy," but delete posts where it is pointed out that calling anyone "clown boy" is immature? Is this really acceptable to you?

I come from a very small, very unwanted population amongst the LDS community. The liberal Democrat. Our Temple Recommendations are called into question, spirituality, Kingdom placement, and why? Because we disagree with the predominant Conservative/Republican point of view. I have to wonder why I would possibly do that?

What is the alternative? I respect all politicians, but apparently calling them names (clown boy) is acceptable? I try to withhold judgement but if an article says something negative about someone I do not like (Nancy Pelosi), I should accept it without question? When someone asks, "Why do think that?" claim you have conducted extensive research that you cannot provide a single example of.

This is what passes for rational, even intelligent discussion, and we unwanted minority, who actually put time and effort into our opinions, are considered once again unworthy.

Why?