• -book of mormon-
    • -holybible old or new testiment-
    • -DNC-
    • -pearl of great price-

I enjoy all the scriptures.  Some of my favorite stories are:

Joseph, who was sold in to Egypt.

Christ in the Garden

King Benjamin's speech to his people.

It's interesting that you mentioned the stories. I agree. It's the stories most people love. In my early adult life I repeatedly heard that the best Bible lessons were expository (verse by verse, with explanations). The impression I got is that didactic lessons were best. Offer a principle, give an example, offer another principle, give another example.

Then I took a class in cross-cultural teaching. The professor, who had been a missionary in Africa, pointed out that Jesus used "narrative preaching." In other words, he told stories that usually made the point without explanation.

Ironically, an Orthodox Jewish rabbi told me that when a Jew reads the Old Testament, the question s/he's always asking is, "How does this story, song, poem, etc. explain to me how I can obey the 613 laws of the Torah?"

Interesting stuff :excl:

Originally posted by prisonchaplain@Dec 13 2005, 08:40 PM

I enjoy all the scriptures.  Some of my favorite stories are:

Joseph, who was sold in to Egypt....

It's interesting that you mentioned the stories. I agree. It's the stories most people love. In my early adult life I repeatedly heard that the best Bible lessons were expository (verse by verse, with explanations). The impression I got is that didactic lessons were best. Offer a principle, give an example, offer another principle, give another example....

I agree and even more so, let Andrew Lloyd Webber and Tim Rice loose with a story and you'll be singing forever. :D

M.

In the Book of Mormon I love the Story of Christ's visit to the Nephites after his resurrection and Moroni's teachings on Charity. I also love King Benjamin's speech to his people before his death.

In the Bible, I love the story of Christ in the garden, because that was, in my opinion, the single greatest act ever done for mankind, and after that, the accounts of his resurrection, which is our hope for so much that is so much better.

I am not yet L.D.S.

I do go to the church but my mum won't let me get baptised. :(

But I do love the Bible.

It holds my entire being among its pages.

Each verse is so well written (especcially in the books of Wisdom) that you can spend hours over one verse. As we do in my cell group (bible study)

I love the book of Mormon and though I was reluctant to accept it at first, I changed my mind.

I loved reading about the coming of Christ to the Americas and I love the book of Moroni, so many life questions are answered in that little book at the end. :)

My favourite story is the creation.

It is such a wonderful story about how God so loves the world.

How he created man and how by the first deciet imperfection was cast upon the world.

A wonderful story which I believe to be true.

I do not believe in evolution but in the six day creation.

And "God days" do not exist in the sense that one day is 1000 years

God created the sun and the moon to be signs for days, seasons and years.

• 3 weeks later...