Repentance

question2

After meeting with my Bishop, he informed me that as part of repenting I shouldn't take the sacrament and participate in church callings for several months. Several months have passed. I haven't met with Bishop since. Do I meet with him again?

Edited by question2

it kinda blows my mind that u havent meet with your Bishop in several months, usually when a person is in that situation, the bishop wants to meet with you often, and see how u are doing, and counsels you, and I think I heard they give you reading assignments all things to help you. Oviously this hasnt happen so yes do make an appointment to talk with your Bishop. And dont forget that Heavenly Father loves you.

Guest mysticmorini

I'm guessing, and only guessing, that this was not a very grievous transgression or if it is your bishop needs to take his job much more seriously. in any case you should definitely make an appointment with your bishop to make sure you have completed the repentance process.

The answer as JD stated would be yes. Let's try and keep any derogatory remarks about his/her Bishop out of the conversation. We don't know the situation.

Edited by pam

Guest mysticmorini

The answer as JD stated would be yes. Let's try and keep any derogatory remarks about his Bishop out of the conversation. We don't know the situation.

My apologies, however if this was a serious transgression and the bishops leaving someone out to flop around i think thats pretty serious. in any case i'll leave it at that.

Thanks everyone.

I have to admit that it feels very awkward for me to call and schedule an appointment because I don't think my repentance is complete. I fell into transgression again in the last few months. I am also new to the ward which makes this awkward (less than a year) and I've never done anything before that requires going to the Bishop until I went to the Bishop before.

Although I know the principle of repentance I don't know exactly what role the Bishop has in it and don't know if I should just wait to go to Bishop until I feel I've fully completed repenting or if he calls me in. I was under the impression that he'd follow up but as that hasn't happened I just figured I'd wait. I know Bishops are busy people. It just gets so discouraging and sometimes I wonder if I should just embark on the same level of morality as the rest of the world since I've already gone down that path. Part of me knows I need help. The other part of me is just too discouraged to ask for it. For the time being I keep going to church.

Edited by question2
clarification

Guest mysticmorini

Thanks everyone.

I have to admit that it feels very awkward for me to call and schedule an appointment because I don't think my repentance is complete. I fell into transgression again in the last few months. I am also new to the ward which makes this awkward (less than a year) and I've never done anything before that requires going to the Bishop until I went to the Bishop before.

Although I know the principle of repentance I don't know exactly what role the Bishop has in it and don't know if I should just wait to go to Bishop until I feel I've fully completed repenting or if he calls me in. I was under the impression that he'd follow up but as that hasn't happened I just figured I'd wait. I know Bishops are busy people. It just gets so discouraging and sometimes I wonder if I should just embark on the same level of morality as the rest of the world since I've already gone down that path. Part of me knows I need help. The other part of me is just too discouraged to ask for it. For the time being I keep going to church.

the bishops role in the repentance process is like a compass or gps, he tells you where you are and in what direction you need to be headed, especially if your not sure. this is why i said earlier if it is a serious transgression the bishop generally should be meeting with you weekly. that being said mine, yours and the bishops definition of serious might differ a little. in your case i'm sure you would be safe to meet with the bishop to get your bearings so to speak, since it has been awhile. all you need to do is go to the bishop or the ward executive secretary and tell them you would like to talk to the bishop some time and they will be glad to set up an appointment no questions asked.

• 2 weeks later...

your bishop is a minister, not an administer

he is meant to be busy helping people such as yourself

its pretty unfair that you are on your own here

mention it to the exec sec (who also should have been onto this) and he'll get to you right away

im on a bishopric. my job is to do the crud so that bishop an spend time with people.

i think you'll find you get an apology

An update to the update. Thanks again everyone. The GPS feedback was very helpful as was so many of your posts. I have found the whole repentance process frustrating and very isolating. Perhaps that is what it is supposed to be. It's hard to confess. It is even harder to be the one to follow up when I've been vulnerable and weak. I've been a lot better in my courtship situation which has been good but am afraid I am still vulnerable and the boat could tip (so to speak). I just don't know how to approach repentance anymore. I scheduled an appointment with the Bishop through the ward clerk but cancelled it. It feels too awkward.

Thanks though for all your feedback.