Help with a talk

Tayo

Well, here's the thing. I haven't actually given a talk in Sacrament Meeting in years, probably since I was in primary. I've always been very shy and it's hard for me to get out of my shell, so now I'm finally giving a talk. I was wondering if anyone could help with where to start and such. Maybe a list of possible topics? And also where to start. I don't know if this is actually hard or anything, but I actually don't remember how I prepared a talk the last one I gave one. Any help is greatly appreciated, but I need it pretty fast actually. Thank you!

They didn't give you a topic?? Lucky you (not really).

I would start with your strength. What are your favorite topics in the gospel to discuss? Only do one that way you don't bounce from topic to topic. Now how much time you have...don't go over but also if you have been given 20min....don't give a 5 minute talk. Don't forget to B-R-E-A-T-H!!! It helps w/ nervousness and also not to ramble.

Not much help.....but hopefully a start.

Good Luck!!!

Well, I'm only a youth and they expect only a few minutes worth, usually over 5 minutes. I'm not sure if it's different in other wards, but my ward has always had the program like this. Hymn > Prayer > Opening > Hymn > Sacrament > two youth speakers (usually very short) > maybe a music piece > two speakers > Ending > Hymn > Prayer. Actually, since I'd been so busy lately, my dad forgot to tell me at the last minute, I nearly forgot, and it took longer than I needed to to be answered, I only have tonight. :\

Well, here's the thing. I haven't actually given a talk in Sacrament Meeting in years, probably since I was in primary. I've always been very shy and it's hard for me to get out of my shell, so now I'm finally giving a talk. I was wondering if anyone could help with where to start and such. Maybe a list of possible topics? And also where to start. I don't know if this is actually hard or anything, but I actually don't remember how I prepared a talk the last one I gave one. Any help is greatly appreciated, but I need it pretty fast actually. Thank you!

most of the time when someone is asked for a talk, usually a topic or subject is provided... but if not I suggest pray hard for guidence then choose one of these that feels good, important, or any impression like you should give a talk on it;

1) Christ and the atonement.

2) Restoration of the Gospel.

or

3) look through the topical guide, and start studying anything that jumps out at you.

the biggest thing to do is to be constantly studying the scriptures- while you do this take notes, and write down verses that explain well, or that feel significant.

once you've found a topic and have read some on it, ponder on what you would like to share about it with people, and start thinking about how you may want to present it, while you do that jot down the ideas that come to you. Once you feel you have one, pray about it.

When you have your topic,

One thing I like to do when i have to present something is ask these questions;

Who, what, where, why, and how.

for instance if i was doing the atonement

I would ask myself

what is the atonement?

WHy is it necessary?

Who is it for?

How does it work for me?

Once i have these questions, I go scripture hunting (maybe even some conference ensign hunting if i can't find the answer in the scripture... which hasn't happened yet ) - this is the important part, this part is where you look up every refernce you can find (I like the topical guide and the dictionary provided tby the LDS standard works), and then write down every verse that answers one of those questions with a very short summary of it, after you have studied it and the surrounding verses.

Next part i do is I write down the main points I want to explain or cover under each question and the verses. (with a short summary by each verse),

after that its pretty much a matter of organization - what's first, second third, etc.. and write down an outline in descending order ; Questions- points- verses, and if necessary maybe write down a sentence after that if I think i want to say something specific to lead into the next subject. if I have any personal experience with that has helped me understand it I like to write down a brief summary of that after the verses as well, or if I have something from an ensign.

Next I pray for a lotta help and just start going over it in my mind and practicing giving it to myself (sometimes , using the outline for guidance. and just do that over and over.

as you practice it, adjust the outline as you see fit. Once you have it to where you're somewhat comfortable with it then you're pretty much set to go.. Just keep on your mind throughout the week and ponder on it often, and when you read scriptures keep an eye out for things that relate to your talk (and if you find something, write it down!).

and first and last of all trust God :)

However if you really want to get inspiration when you give your talk, once you've done the above and you've gone over your verses a lot... spend a lot of time before church praying, and perhaps fasting... and then leave your outline in your chair when you go up to the podium.

------

here are some useful tips that i have found for me:

I'd advise against opening with a joke.

Don't use um, ah, hmm

Don't say if you've forgotten something (you will). If you do forget something, pause take a deep breath.. you probably need to slow down anyways, and chewck and see if you have any scriptures on your mind, and use them.

If you feel like you need, or should say something different then what you planned, then do so. Same with the scriptures.

------

remember that a talk is basically a testimony of sharing what you know, and what you have learned from the spirit.

Edited by Blackmarch