Questions about sealing

sarah42nd

. My names Sarah I am new to the site. Well I have a question about sealing . I asked around my ward but i haven't had much luck. I was wondering. my fiancee and I are sealed when we get married in the temple and when we have children they are sealed to us. My fiancee was baptized in 2001 so he is the only person ( that he knows of ) in his family to be Mormon. His parents are not and I will be baptized in a few months but no one in my family is Mormon either. I was wondering if our parents / families are not sealed to us to we just never see them ( after they die) or do they just stop by to visit. I know that when they do leave earth they do get the chance to hear the gospel but what if they don't take it or what if there not on the same level as us? Plus do you see friends and all up there?

I am not aware of any scripture that says that people who aren't sealed to each other will never see each other again. I'm not even aware of any General Authority who has taught such a principle.

But there is a scripture that states:

2 And that same sociality which exists among us here will exist among us there, only it will be coupled with eternal glory, which glory we do not now enjoy.

I am also not aware of any scripture that teaches that the Terrestrial or Telestial "kingdoms" are geographical locations where one may "come visit", but another may not. (We are told the exalted earth will be a home for Celestial beings, but we are not told that that is the extent and the limits of the Celestial Kingdom). D&C 88:46-47 suggests that we cannot fully comprehend exactly what the term "kingdom" means as it is used in scripture, but 1 Corinthians 15:40-42 seems to hint that these "kingdoms" refer more to the nature and abilities of the individual that belongs in the kingdom and the law that that individual observes (see also D&C 88:36-38).

We know that a Terrestrial or Telestial being cannot abide the inherent glory of a Celestial being, which might beg the question of how Celestial mom might be able to interact with Telestial son; but I think the scriptures indicate two loopholes. First, exalted beings can apparently "turn the glory off"--see, for example, the story of Jesus on the Emmaus road (where He was mistaken for a traveler), Jesus and Mary Magdalene (mistaken for a gardener), the heavenly visitors to Abraham, Lot, and Jacob (most likely translated beings, mistaken for travelers).

Second, apparently Celestial beings--at least, God--can somehow extend their glory to temporarily transfigure the "lower" being and thus allow the lower being to endure God's presence. We see this happening in Moses 1:11.

So, one way or the other, I think in the eternities we'll be able to see and interact with other people regardless of whether they were "sealed" to us, and even if they wind up meriting a different kingdom than our own. What happens in the temple is much, much more profound than simply setting up a cats' cradle of networks determining who is allowed to see whom.

Edited by Just_A_Guy

D&C 76 teaches that those in higher kingdoms will be able to descend to the lower kingdoms and minister/visit them. In this way, family members will still be able to visit and spend time together. But instead of being able to have eternal increase (spirit children and new families) and have sealed members together all the time in the same kingdom, they will be like family members that live far off, which you only see on occasion.

D&C 76 teaches that those in higher kingdoms will be able to descend to the lower kingdoms and minister/visit them. In this way, family members will still be able to visit and spend time together. But instead of being able to have eternal increase (spirit children and new families) and have sealed members together all the time in the same kingdom, they will be like family members that live far off, which you only see on occasion.

Sounds like incentive to go low;)

Thanks everyone for the reply's ..... That's what I was thinking but I wasn't sure if I was right or not so tha'ts why I asked. :)

. My names Sarah I am new to the site. Well I have a question about sealing . I asked around my ward but i haven't had much luck. I was wondering. my fiancee and I are sealed when we get married in the temple and when we have children they are sealed to us. My fiancee was baptized in 2001 so he is the only person ( that he knows of ) in his family to be Mormon. His parents are not and I will be baptized in a few months but no one in my family is Mormon either. I was wondering if our parents / families are not sealed to us to we just never see them ( after they die) or do they just stop by to visit. I know that when they do leave earth they do get the chance to hear the gospel but what if they don't take it or what if there not on the same level as us? Plus do you see friends and all up there?

those who are in the higher kingdoms can administer to those in lower kingdoms... So we do know that individuals can go from a higher kingdom to visit a lower kingdom.. however we don't know to what extent that will be.

If they don't accept all of the gospel and the ordinances, thenn they will be sent to where they do accept whatever level of truth and obedience, if they've accepted Christ but don't accept all of the restored gospel they get sent to the terrestial kingdom, if they don't accept Christ then they will be sent to the telestial kingdom.

If they still choose wickedness over rightiousness after having gone through torment and anguish, or blaspheme the holy ghost then they will be sent to outer darkness. (In my opinion this is not easy to accomplish)

If they still choose wickedness over rightiousness after having gone through torment and anguish, or blaspheme the holy ghost then they will be sent to outer darkness. (In my opinion this is not easy to accomplish)

I would say about just as hard as it is reaching exaltation.

Edited by john doe
fixed quote function

You might wanna read "Jonathan Livingston Seagul", written by a pilot and author named Richard Bach. Very short story, but AMAZING!! And a best seller.

Its a metaphor story about a seagul named Jonathan who pretty much represents any human who is capable of "thinking outside the box" or at a deeper level.

Jonathan, unlike other seaguls, eats only enough to survive. But his true love and main interest in life is "perfecting his flying techniques". He practices day and night. Not only for the joy, or for breaking records-- but the higher you fly, the deeper into the water you can dive, thus catching bigger fish and eating more richly, instead of barely surviving off the scraps from the docks and fishing boats...

But the other birds ( known as the "Breakfast Flock") cannot understand his logic. They shun him, because they strictly believe that life is only about fighting over little scraps of food, and anyone who tries to go outside that frame of mind is wasting their time, and breaking sacred gul laws. Eventually Jonathan is cast out of the flock, in shame.

While he is living alone, far away on the high cliffs, Jonathan continues to study flight until he grows old and passes away, in mid-flight... But he's not really aware that he's dead-- until another gul shows up, who is glowing bright-white, flying right by his side, matching him move for move with perfect ease, and is just as skilled at flying as he is-- if not better! The other gull tells him that the reason he was so misunderstood on earth, is because he was beyond the spiritual level of most Earth birds. There was nothing wrong with him at all, he was actually on a much higher spiritual plane! And that ALL the birds in this new, higher world were capable of the same things he is. They think the way he thinks. There were also many higher levels to reach, and many new discoveries to make, even still! Jonathan is intrigued, and takes on the challenge of mastering everything, and moving all the way to the top, achieving ultimate glory!

Its a great story, because of the way his soul matures, and how every new level brings new glorified abilities, until eventually, he can do anything, and go anywhere, simply by willing it in his mind.

He can visit lower levels too, even earth, and he enjoys it because he likes to reach out to other birds like himself, and teach / coach them on how to move up, just like he has.

I think this is similar to how our lives on earth are... How we are ridiculed by others for being too spiritual (or maybe for spending a lot of time working on a big project, or developing/perfecting a tallent?). Other people say we are wasting out lives, and the real point of living is just to earn a paycheck. Sure, you do that to feed your family and keep your home... But that's not why we are here. In fact, if your really put your natural talents to work, you can end up earning a bigger paycheck than most! And as for spiritual development, you can achieve higher glory in heaven.

Until you learn this, you will remain like the "breaksfast flock", and be stuck at the bottom.

You might wanna read "Jonathan Livingston Seagul", written by a pilot and author named Richard Bach. Very short story, but AMAZING!! And a best seller.

Its a metaphor story about a seagul named Jonathan who pretty much represents any human who is capable of "thinking outside the box" or at a deeper level.

Jonathan, unlike other seaguls, eats only enough to survive. But his true love and main interest in life is "perfecting his flying techniques". He practices day and night. Not only for the joy, or for breaking records-- but the higher you fly, the deeper into the water you can dive, thus catching bigger fish and eating more richly, instead of barely surviving off the scraps from the docks and fishing boats...

But the other birds ( known as the "Breakfast Flock") cannot understand his logic. They shun him, because they strictly believe that life is only about fighting over little scraps of food, and anyone who tries to go outside that frame of mind is wasting their time, and breaking sacred gul laws. Eventually Jonathan is cast out of the flock, in shame.

While he is living alone, far away on the high cliffs, Jonathan continues to study flight until he grows old and passes away, in mid-flight... But he's not really aware that he's dead-- until another gul shows up, who is glowing bright-white, flying right by his side, matching him move for move with perfect ease, and is just as skilled at flying as he is-- if not better! The other gull tells him that the reason he was so misunderstood on earth, is because he was beyond the spiritual level of most Earth birds. There was nothing wrong with him at all, he was actually on a much higher spiritual plane! And that ALL the birds in this new, higher world were capable of the same things he is. They think the way he thinks. There were also many higher levels to reach, and many new discoveries to make, even still! Jonathan is intrigued, and takes on the challenge of mastering everything, and moving all the way to the top, achieving ultimate glory!

Its a great story, because of the way his soul matures, and how every new level brings new glorified abilities, until eventually, he can do anything, and go anywhere, simply by willing it in his mind.

He can visit lower levels too, even earth, and he enjoys it because he likes to reach out to other birds like himself, and teach / coach them on how to move up, just like he has.

I think this is similar to how our lives on earth are... How we are ridiculed by others for being too spiritual (or maybe for spending a lot of time working on a big project, or developing/perfecting a tallent?). Other people say we are wasting out lives, and the real point of living is just to earn a paycheck. Sure, you do that to feed your family and keep your home... But that's not why we are here. In fact, if your really put your natural talents to work, you can end up earning a bigger paycheck than most! And as for spiritual development, you can achieve higher glory in heaven.

Until you learn this, you will remain like the "breaksfast flock", and be stuck at the bottom.

I hear you there . Thank you.