Supporting The Bretheren With Your $$$

prisonchaplain

You may have heard of the Christian Yellow Pages, or Shepherd's Guide, or other business directories that inform consumers of businesses who's owners are members of the faithful. So, what do you think in general? Would you choose an LDS vendor over one you did not know about, assuming the prices were the same? Would you choose a Christian over a secular business? If so, how much more would you pay?

To give you an example in forming your answer. Consider the following book:

How Wide the Divide?: A Mormon & an Evangelical in Conversation (Paperback)

by Craig L. Blomberg, Stephen E. Robinson

If you were interested in this volume, given the following information, where would you buy it from:

* Amazon.com (secular) = $10.20

* Deseretbook.com (LDS) = $15.00

* Christianbook.com (General Christian) = $11.99

Note that the publisher, Intervarsity Press, is an evangelical company.

My own thoughts:

1. I tend to think I'd favor the Christian business, but usually purchase from whomever is cheapest and most convenient.

2. Generally speaking, if a business has to rely heavily on the religious identification of its owner, I would be skeptical of the quality/pricing it offers.

3. There are certainly occasions when I would frequent the business of a fellow believer whom I knew and trusted, even if it might mean paying more.

Bottom-line: I bought the book from Amazon.com. Not only was it nearly $2 cheaper, but I got free shipping (purchases over $25).

I generally do not check a person's religion before making a purchase from them. Of course there are certain things I would particularily look specifically for an lds store or disturbution center for. But for general purposes I usually do not go to a place to buy specifically because I know the owner is lds.

How can we spread the gospel and god's word without communicating with people that are not lds? Not that I am going into a place to preach, I don't, but our works, actions, spirit can preach far more than our words. We have to live in the world without being a part of it.

Amazon for the book. I would not pay 50% extra for LDS purchase.

Price being the same or close I would do business with an LDS businessman.

It is a matter of trust but just being LDS does not make a person trustworthy.

I have two returned missionary ex- son in laws. One wouldn't get a job and the other was physically abusive to my daughter. Good thing I have self control.

We used to favor christain listings in the yellow pages that displayed the christian fish symbol, until we discovered they were worst thieves than the so called lost people. So much for being respectors of persons LOL. So now we are back to just shopping around for whoever does the best work and offeres the best price.

Originally posted by Justlooking@Jan 2 2006, 08:23 PM

We used to favor christain listings in the yellow pages that displayed the christian fish symbol, until we discovered they were worst thieves than the so called lost people. So much for being respectors of persons LOL. So now we are back to just shopping around for whoever does the best work and offeres the best price.

In business, whenever someone says, "Look - I'm a Christian, you're a Christian....." Then that's the last person I would do business with. This I know from unpleasant personal experience.

Although I love shopping at the LDS Bookstore, I do so infrequently because it's very expensive...so, I'll shop at Barnes & Noble instead. We have found that LDS businessmen tend to charge more for their services, presumably because they pay tithing and have missionaries to support. When I was home schooling, on my application under "Religion" I listed myself as "Christian" instead of LDS, since other LDS homeschoolers told me if I stated I was LDS, the Christian supplier would refuse my business. It's a shame, in dealing with other Christian denominations, I am reluctant to state that I'm LDS, since so many share the misconception that LDS are not Christians.

- Mrs. A

An interesting question that could then be expanded to where we buy items from. For instance, how many of you bought Christmas ornaments made in China this year? Your money probably was not helping to support a Christian enterprise or Christian workers. However, if you bought only items made in the USA, Mexico, Europe (hey, they are lukewarm, but they are generally Christian) or Russia then you are supporting (at least indirectly) Christian enterprises or people.