Polygamy Possible In Canada?

prisonchaplain

For about two years, ever since legalized same-sex marriages became a real possiblity in the U.S., I've predicted that polygamy would be next. The marriage arrangement has historic precedent, and there are some religious traditions that condone it.

Sure 'nuf: http://www.helenair.com/articles/2006/01/1...08011306_02.txt

Potential problems:

1. Immigration. If "paper marriages" (entered into for the sole purpose of obtaining a green card) will become even more prolific.

2. Abuse. Just as two male roommates entered into a marriage in Canada, solely for the economic benefits (taxes and social welfare programs), so I can picture some groups setting up communal relationships that are other than about something other than simply setting up a large family.

3. Destruction of civil marriage. Eventually the convulated relationships will become so absurd, that government will get out of the marriage business all together, and simply arbitrate civil unions.

An interesting verse from the prophet Isaiah:

And in that day seven women shall take hold of one man, saying, We will eat our own bread, and wear our own apparel: only let us be called by they name, to take away our reproach. Isaiah 4:1 KJV

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In 1998, President Gordon B. Hinckley made the following statement about the Church's position on plural marriage:

"This Church has nothing whatever to do with those practicing polygamy. They are not members of this Church. . . . If any of our members are found to be practicing plural marriage, they are excommunicated, the most serious penalty the Church can impose. Not only are those so involved in direct violation of the civil law, they are in violation of the law of this Church."

I don't think the issue is how our Church views it, but that is is viewed as acceptable in a growing number of countries.

This is most pertinent, as LDS we have a worldwide mission to preach the gospel to all nations, kindred, and tongue. Government policies which would thwart our efforts is of great concern. Government mandates which threaten any of God's children is of great concern. Just because some things may be acceptable, does not make it right. It just makes it "politically correct", according to today's standards (or substandards).

Thx PC! I've been saying the same thing for years and everyone told me I was crazy! Now it's coming true. However the author of your article needs a grammer lesson! LOL

"Polygamy typically is a marriage involving one man and multiple wives."

Polygamy is ALWAYS a marriage involving one man and multiple wives. Anything else is another word though it is lost to me right now....anyone wanna jump in with it?

Don't forget that same-sex marriage is already legal in some states here in the US...

Christians need to be as actively involved as the gay lobby in petitioning against same-sex marriage (an oxymoron) so it won't be passed anywhere else within the U.S. In the states where it is legalized, it must be repealed.

3. Destruction of civil marriage. Eventually the convulated relationships will become so absurd, that government will get out of the marriage business all together, and simply arbitrate civil unions.

I kind of like this idea. I don't plan on getting married again. But figure if I stay with somebody long enough it becomes a common-law thing.

<div class='quotemain'>

In the states where it is legalized, it must be repealed.

Never happen, at least in my opinion.

This is a Christian nation. Christians represent the majority in this country. Perhaps it's time for Christians to take a stand and fight for their rights before they lose their country to heathens.

If anything the trend is going the other way. Albeit slowly.

This is a Christian nation. Christians represent the majority in this country. Perhaps it's time for Christians to take a stand and fight for their rights before they lose their country to heathens.

Well as a heathen all I have to say is...... HEATHENS RULE!

Polygamy possible in Canada ?

No, why because Canada is way too conservative to make that a law.

The deference between same sex and polygamy is one is between consenting adults and the other involves children and what would fall under anti slavery legislation.

There is one Polygamy sect in BC that I know of and they tangle very little with the government / law.

There are no multiples pass two and I think that is way the government ignores the whole thing. I think the fact that there is only one legal marriage and the rest falls under conmen law is why they fly under the radar.

The local doctors and hospitals have very little to report as fare as child abuse or spousal abuse witch in Canada is a reportable offence and under Canadian law, the spouse does not have to charge the abuser the crown lays charges.

The government requires that all children home schooled be tested each year and these children score higher then public school children in the same aria.

They don’t dress any different then LDS members in Alberta so they don’t draw attention to them self’s. You cant compare the two groups US verses Canada.

You also have to understand that Canada has large colonies of Mennonite and Hutterrite.

It is part of Canadas multiculturalism, just as the Amish in the US. There are more rumors of child abuse that is voiced because they fallow old ways then the ways of the world.

I feel comfortable with colonies of them the Polygamist in some parts of Utah and Arizona.

I don't think the issue is how our Church views it, but that is is viewed as acceptable in a growing number of countries.

So you are saying the world is getting more and more wicked? Yeah, it is.

I kind of like this idea. I don't plan on getting married again. But figure if I stay with somebody long enough it becomes a common-law thing.

So, are you a man? Divorced? or what?

Short version -

I am male. Still technically married. The wife is a alcoholic/drug addict. I am not sure where she is at the moment. I will get around to divorcing her at some point. That is if I can find her. I am rasing the one child we had (and about a half dozen other peoples kids in the heighborhood it seems as well). Once bitten twice shy I guess. Plus, I also have gay family and friends. Any institution which leaves them out isn't an institution worth saving. Just my opinion mind you.

So you are saying the world is getting more and more wicked? Yeah, it is.

As compared to what?

Oh yeah..... and I am a godless heathen.

If anything the trend is going the other way. Albeit slowly.

Well as a heathen all I have to say is...... HEATHENS RULE!

Yeah, but Christians rule in the majority! LOL

Yeah, but Christians rule in the majority! LOL

I was waiting for something like that....

..... only if you were all alike. But you are not. Many are Christians in name only. Many are Democrat. Some support gay marraige. Some are gay. Some never go to church. And so on.

Much like some self-proclaimed "heathens" frequenting Christian chat sites. ;-)