Especially For Women

Aristotle

Since polygamy is such a popular topic in this forum, I've not heard many women expressing their opinons. Therefore, I would like to pose a question to the women (you needn't be LDS to answer), to give you an opportunity to share your views.

- Mrs. A

Sorry, I tried to set this up as a poll question, but it didn't work.

The question is:

IF POLYGAMY WERE LEGALIZED, WOULD YOU ALLOW YOUR HUSBAND TO MARRY ANOTHER WOMAN?

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I ask myself, if most countries sudenly legalized poligamy, would the Church (sudenly) recieve the revelation from God that we now are "ready"to accept it again?

Or not?

because poligamy, -from the doctrinal point of vew- was left because GOD commanded it to stop because(not too fast say because of the law) but because of the wicked way the members that partook of it, were behaving.....so if the law encouraged it again what?

So funny to....(think of it) ;)

Regards,

I don't know any men who'd want anything to do with polygamy, either.

I DO know a few LDS women who have expressed in my company that they wish their husbands could practice poygamy. One gal I think has a private agenda of her own, but the rest seem to think that it would be a good way to raise kids and ease the individual duties of each wife.

Also, Serg, what is it with many LDS that if something goes wrong then it must be because God is displeased with them? I gained several pounds over the holidays -- God must have been ticked at me for something. I was sick the other day, must be the wicked way I am living.

I consider myself pretty conservative and traditional LDS on most matters but I really, really hate it when people interpret any event they have control over, or no control over, that God is mad at them. Does God really look like Saddam?

I DO know a few LDS women who have expressed in my company that they wish their husbands could practice poygamy. One gal I think has a private agenda of her own, but the rest seem to think that it would be a good way to raise kids and ease the individual duties of each wife.

True; there seem to be people of both sexes who like the idea. I've just never personally met any LDS folk of that mind.

I gained several pounds over the holidays -- God must have been ticked at me for something. I was sick the other day, must be the wicked way I am living.

The Lord does not help those who help themselves and help themselves and help themselves. LOL

(You're not the only one with extra holiday pounds, btw.)

- Mrs. A

REVERSE POLYGAMY

A little boy was attending his first wedding. After the service, his cousin asked him, "How many women can a man marry?"

"Sixteen," the boy responded.

His cousin was amazed that he had an answer so quickly. "How do you know that?"

"Easy," the little boy said. "All you have to do is add it up, like the Bishop said: 4 better, 4 worse, 4 richer, 4 poorer"

Bear in mind that my ward is in Tennessee; I think there are some small differences between Latter-day Saints here and in Utah.

I don't live in Utah -- my roots are in the Pacific Northwest. Maybe that's why LDS people I know are more esoteric and willing to explore ideas that aren't exactly part of the prevailing paradigm of the USA.

Nope. I would leave. With the kids, the house, and a nice check each month.

If he had to do it against his will (Church required it) I would only say okay if there was absolutely no sexual relations of any kind. It would be a matter of taking care of a women who had lost her husband and needed the financial support for her and her children. She would have her own guest house and my husband would not be allowed to be alone with her.

Hmm, I guess that pretty much says how I feel about polygamy

I agree with Heather. As I have said, I don't play well with others. I would have to have myown house, a healthy paycheck and he can stay with wife number one cuz hei sn't sleeping in my bed too. I guess I am not ready for it. I would do it if the Lord commanded it but I wouldn't like it. Not one bit. And I better get presents if I have to. Bling-like presents. I guess I am not celestial materail then because the only way that would be heaven for me is the aforementioned conditions. And a good horse thrown in. Maybe some Jimmy Choo shoes, and the power to put the smack down on any goofy ideas he might get.

B)

If he had to do it against his will (Church required it) I would only say okay if there was absolutely no sexual relations of any kind. It would be a matter of taking care of a women who had lost her husband and needed the financial support for her and her children. She would have her own guest house and my husband would not be allowed to be alone with her.

Hmm, I guess that pretty much says how I feel about polygamy

I agree Heather... if it came down to taking care of another woman... I could understand that.. but rules and regs would be set down in a hurry....NO TOUCHY. But I don't need any Bling presents to make me feel good about it.... just love, loyalty and honesty within a relationship....and I'll be happy to share my life with someone else.... NO TOUCHY! and things will be fine.... :)

I agree Heather... if it came down to taking care of another woman... I could understand that.. but rules and regs would be set down in a hurry....NO TOUCHY. But I don't need any Bling presents to make me feel good about it.... just love, loyalty and honesty within a relationship....and I'll be happy to share my life with someone else.... NO TOUCHY! and things will be fine....

While I agree with your sentiments..... is it really a marraige for the second wife? Or did you just hire a maid/slave using the cover of Church authority? Given the legality of the institution, if your husband did have relations, as is his right, wouldn't you be in a bit of a religious paradox when it came to the dissolution of the marraige, especially given your Temple promises, mixed in with the re-instatement of the marraige program of polygamy?