Conspiracy Theories

BenRaines

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have to say Mrs A that the more you feed them the hungrier they will be. It can end with you.

It takes two to tango or to create discord. So it could be stopped by either. Preferrable by the one starting the discord. Everyone has different opinions and ways of looking at things. If you aren't big enough to see this without making fun of it, it really is your problem, not the one you are abusing.

Situation as i see it and just my opinion.

1) poster says something that is disagreeable to others.

2) posters that disagree have 3 choices. a) ignore it and move on. B) comment on it in a civil way stating your disagreement but respecting the other persons right to a point of view. c) respond with out respect and insight more disagreement.

3) Original poster then responds in kind to to any of the above choices.

4) cirlce ensues.

Admin has tried to deal with this in a few ways and every time , except in the case of bannings possibly, it leads no where. we ask nicely to sit back, cool down, and then move on. we have deleted posts and asked to listen and consider and move on.

As far as i see now, a lot want stryfe and contention and i'm willing to let you all have it if you really want it. The rest of the mod staff will do as they will, and we all follow Heather's wishes, but i'm not getting between people who just won't let go. You are tired of getting attacked or insulted or disrespected, take a step back and move on. many of us are grown adults and games of last word really don't seem to fit the age bracket.

My last word on the subject, count to ten, draw your pistols and may your aim be true.

Exactly. Those taking offense at the joke need to just move on. Making a bigger issue of it only drags it out.

<div class='quotemain'>

Post your favorite conspiracy theory.

It's not my favorite but maybe it will deflect the Mrs. Pope story. :P

The story/theory that BY was killed by arsenic poisoning.

M.

Ooh! I've heard that one, though I'd forgotten it. Supposedly he was murdered "for the good of the Church" or something...

Situation as i see it and just my opinion.

1) poster says something that is disagreeable to others.

2) posters that disagree have 3 choices. a) ignore it and move on. B) comment on it in a civil way stating your disagreement but respecting the other persons right to a point of view. c) respond with out respect and insight more disagreement.

3) Original poster then responds in kind to to any of the above choices.

4) cirlce ensues.

I liked your post, SS. I would add that since this is a site espousing LDS standards (and thereby Christ's standards), option 2c should very rarely occur, especially among active LDS and other good, respectful people. When it does happen, a quick apology should be made getting back to an appropriate 2b response.

(For the record, I'm on nobody's side in this. My question of Prend1 was purely to clarify something that seemed to be implied in her post, the answer to which I am still curious.)

<div class='quotemain'>

<div class='quotemain'>

Post your favorite conspiracy theory.

It's not my favorite but maybe it will deflect the Mrs. Pope story. :P

The story/theory that BY was killed by arsenic poisoning.

Ooh! I've heard that one, though I'd forgotten it. Supposedly he was murdered "for the good of the Church" or something...

My understanding is that BY's health was not good so the other GA's (or some such) decided to spruce up his health they would give him a young new wife. The woman supposedly that may have put arsenic in his food was the mother of the young girl picked to be his new wife. The mother obviously did not agree with the choice. :closedeyes:

M.

Got this one from a Google search:

'Posted: Sun 10 Jul, 2005 07:06 pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have a couple. When I was younger I heard about two American missionaries serving down in Central or South America, and they were helping a grumpy old farmer guy, trying to befriend him enough to teach him the gospel. When they got a chance to tell him about how Jesus Christ visited the American continent, the old guy was surprised and a little preturbed to hear the story, because it's a well known legend in his culture and no white people are supposed to know it.

Also when I was singing in the Oakland Temple Pageant, about 15 years ago... there were several amazing stories floating around. The best one was: At the end of the Pageant, the actor representing Christ appears, but a taped voiceover supplies His voice. One night, the tape broke, and people behind the scenes were frantic, but when the scene came, the voice came through the PA system without a hitch even though the broken tape was in their hands, and of course people were amazed. Another one from the same pageant - people swear they look back on the balcony and see courses of angels singing behind the "balcony singers".

More recently, when we were living in Kansas City (across the state line from Jackson County, MO) there was a small faction of the church members anxiously awaiting the announcement of a temple to be built in Jackson Co. Last I heard, these same people are fully expecting the prophet to announce the name of the church to be changed. (My personal feelings on the temple in KC is if they did announce, it would cause widespread panic and certain types of people would sell everything, pack up their tents, move to MO and camp out waiting for the end of the world.)

I'm sure I've heard of others. I'll think about it.'

http://www.ericdsnider.com/phpbb/viewtopic...t=2813&start=0&

Making fun of people is mean spirited and not funny at all. Accusing Margaret McConkie Pope of being a gossip is a conspiracy theory; false accusations/labeling people is not in accordance with the spirit, or the teachings of the Church.

- The Aristotles

I have no idea if Margaret McConkie Pope actually made the the statements you attribute to her. Since you are the one saying so, I guess that she did not. Promoting the rumor here makes the promoter a gossip-monger. However, even if she did make the statements out of ignorance of their source, it's disgusting that you would perpetuate the rumor in public - especially now that you have been educated as to the rumors source.

"Sister McConkie" having addressed the stake Relief Society meeting which I (Mrs. A) attended, is not a conspiracy theory but fact.

A fact only in your mind.

Stop spreading vile gossip.

I've been watching this subject since it was introduced, and despite Snow's caustic personality,I believe he is right. Just because a relative of a GA says something, it doesn't make that something the total truth or fact. She may well have said what you claim she said, but that does not mean that things happened exactly the way you say or the way she may have presented it. I'll chalk it up as a rumor until I see a reliable source who has thoroughly researched the alleged event come out and provide convincing evidence that it happened.

Just because the church does not disprove something does not make it true. They would have to hire an army to combat all untruths out there.

Likewise, it does not make it false, either. It would be interesting to find out why "Sister McConkie", felt compelled to share that story in the stake Relief Society meeting. Especially when her brother is so prominent in the Church. Why risk her position spreading falsehoods, unless the story has not been disproven?

<div class='quotemain'>

A fact only in your mind.

Stop spreading vile gossip.

Soulsearcher asked that this subject be closed.

Fact: "Sister McConkie" addressed the stake Relief Society; I was there. She told the story.

Fact: The story has not been disproven by official Church documentation.

Fact: I do not spread vile gossip.

None of that is a fact and spreading disgusting rumors and disgusting gossip is disgusting.

You should be ashamed and you should stop gossiping.

Likewise, it does not make it false, either. It would be interesting to find out why "Sister McConkie", felt compelled to share that story in the stake Relief Society meeting. Especially when her brother is so prominent in the Church. Why risk her position spreading falsehoods, unless the story has not been disproven?

What on this green earth could possibly make you think that someone you claim was named McConkie had any special knowledge on the matter? Where did she get it? What are her credentials?

She may have just been ignorant. Since I have given you the references, you have no excuse (to go with you your lack of shame).

Stop spread the vicious and false rumor that Emma Smith is an attempted murderess; then repent.

<div class='quotemain'>

Just because the church does not disprove something does not make it true. They would have to hire an army to combat all untruths out there.

Exactly. This illustrates why repeating such stories is harmful; some will grasp onto them and think they must be true.

Yeah maybe. On the other hand - certain company excepted, how many normal adults do you think would believe this stuff or continue believing this stuff once they have been told the truth?

Probably very few and likely zero for those that can think.