Gallbladder removal

kimiko

Hey has anyone here had their gallbladder removed? Apparently mine needs to come out, but the doctors can't guarantee that I'll get better after having it removed, it's just a high possibility that I'll improve. So, I'm looking for some personal accounts with this procedure. (Example: How long did it take to recover? Were the same problems/symptoms still experienced after removal of the gallbladder? etc...) Thanks!

My wife had it done about 10 years ago. Her gastroenterologist thought removing it was necessary to cure her symptoms, but it turned out that she had celiac disease. Removing the gallbladder did nothing for the symptoms, but cutting out gluten did.

Having said that, hers was done laparascopically and was pretty easy to recover from. IIRC she couldn't lift anything heavy for 4 weeks or so, but apart from that she was OK.

i had mine taken out just over a year ago. i'd never had problems with it before, and one day had a major attack that put me in the hospital. they did ultrasounds and gave me the option of removing it, or keeping me on painkillers til the swelling went down. i opted for surgery and they took me in that night (welcome to canada?).

the surgery took a couple hours and usually they release you the next day. i spent the night of the surgery in hospital (surgery was at 11pm), and the next night in hospital as well to make sure everything was going okay.

normally a person can go back to work after a couple days, but due to the nature of my job (on my feet 8 hours a day with some heavy lifting), the doctor told me not to go to work for 2 weeks, and then i was not to lift anything over 10 pounds for 6 weeks.

i am completely happy with having opted to get this removed. i used to get sick all the time, but now i hardly get sick at all. i have to watch what i eat (greasy foods, foods with hot peppers in them) as they'll do a number on my stomach, but other than that, i am completely happy with the way things turned out.

My wife had it done about six or seven months ago (she was early in the pregnancy of our third child). Recovery time: a week or two, maybe; main complication was not being able to do heavy lifting like bl8tant says--child #2 wanted to be held constantly at that phase.

She actually kept having "attacks" for a good month or two after the surgery. Doc then diagnosed her with a "dysfunction of the sphincter of oddi" and was ready to ship her off to Illinois for surgery (he didn't trust anyone in UT to operate on a pregnant woman), but then the attacks suddenly stopped and haven't come back so far.

I had mine out about 3 years ago. I was back to work within 4 days. (I'm a fast healer after surgery). Only mild discomfort after it as they did it by scoping.

So did anyone save any of the stones from this surgery? I had my doctor save them for me. Have a bottle full. They look like chocolate chips. I told the guy that was my boss at the time I was going to bake him some chocolate chip cookies. He said he will probably never eat another one in his life.

I'm still trying to recover from my sugery (laproscopic) 3 years ago. I wish I had know about the gall bladder clease that saved a friend from having the surgery. I would have done that first.

you mean gallbladder cleanse? more information please... thanks!