Musician

Syphax

Posted (edited) · Hidden
Hidden

Does anyone else think guys (in particular) become musicians because they can't play sports? I'm not saying it isn't a valid career choice but I think deep down every guitar player wishes he could throw a football 60 yards because it would make him feel more legitimate as a man in a primal sense. On the flip side, athletes dabble in music to get in touch with their feminine side, usually to compensate for years of pent up frustration over uninhibited testosterone release.

I don't know the difference between the black keys or the white keys on a piano (and I own one) but I could hit a slider and know how to throw a wicked kimura from side control. Does that make me more of a man than you? Probably, but who's counting?

Edited by What_Would_Angles_Do

Well, I mostly consider myself a songwriter, but I play guitar, bass, and a little piano/keyboards. Though I don't necessarily consider myself a guitarist, bassist, or pianist by any means!

Welcome. I'm a singer so always interested in see what people have to write. Have you published any of your music yet?

Does anyone else think guys (in particular) become musicians because they can't play sports? I'm not saying it isn't a valid career choice but I think deep down every guitar player wishes he could throw a football 60 years because it would make him feel more legitimate as a man in a primal sense. On the flip side, athletes dabble in music to get in touch with their feminine side, usually to compensate for years of pent up frustration over uninhibited testosterone release.

I don't know the difference between the black keys or the white keys on a piano (and I own one) but I could hit a slider and know how to throw a wicked kimura from side control. Does that make me more of a man than you? Probably, but who's counting?

I have absolutely no idea what any of that meant. Except I assume you meant "throw a football 60 light-years", which, I admit, would be pretty awesome.

Pam, I have not published any of my songs. I'm a songwriter and I record and perform around town and on the Internet. Every now and then I'll slip one of my own songs into my podcast as well.

Well, unless he lives in a vacuum I'm not so sure he'll ever be able to fully discern a light-year. But what you're forgetting is that Mr. Flutie doesn't need to see to to understand light. Nor hear to understand sound. Nor taste to understand the the awesomeness of Frank's Red Hot. Because he is Doug Flutie.

Chuck Norris openly admits that he carries a wallet sized portrait of Doug Flutie in his Boston College wallet.

I have absolutely no idea what any of that meant. Except I assume you meant "throw a football 60 light-years", which, I admit, would be pretty awesome.

Pam, I have not published any of my songs. I'm a songwriter and I record and perform around town and on the Internet. Every now and then I'll slip one of my own songs into my podcast as well.

Thanks...I'll check out your website.

Thanks, Pam, for restoring peace and decency in this fiery wreckage of an intro thread.

I have a couple questions about these boards. Are there a lot of people that post? And who designed that lovely banner with the flying people and such?

We get quite a few that post. The banner is by the photographer Mark Mabry. He owns a studio in AZ I believe but does quite a bit of LDS type photography.

Hidden

As a newly self-appointed deity I'm not obliged to apologize although I will say that I have feelings of regret if my imposition on this thread has caused you any degree of stress.

I hereby withdraw my comments and wish you the best in your musical endeavors (even if they can be construed as defiant feminine regression based on an inability to cope with the stress of a masculine environment ... aka Daddy issues).

But again, that's not really my place to say. Although I AM here to help ...

And it seems Mr. Angles has been banned from the forum. How quickly does the hammer fall around here. I hope it was not on account of my interactions with him, as I feel it was just about to get interesting.

Now I guess my question will never be answered.

Yikes! Was he banned for what he posted in this thread? I'm a new member, too, and I don't know what flies or doesn't around here.

I think it was pretty obvious that he was just insecure, and used sports as a way to feel like he belonged and mattered. When I was a kid, I would have loved to play music, but my dad wouldn't let me and signed me up for the little league team. Baseball was my only outlet for SO many years! I only realized how much time I had wasted when I bombed out of the minor leagues. I've still got my glory days, though!

I had a similar experience after the Grunge era when I bombed out of the minor keys. However, in music, when you bomb out of the minors you default down to the majors. Pretty tricky, huh? Now I play everything in G maj and C maj, and let me tell you, you can make way more money that way.

So what genres do you usually work in? I also took a few years in drums and guitar, but I'm much better at piano. Still can't read sheet music very well though. Reading sheet music bores me to death lol. But I'm great at picking things up by ear. I also like producing MIDI instrumentals when I can.

Hello syphax!

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

:fullband:

FACT: Learning music improves math skills.

My brothers and sister grew up learning to play an instrument - it was required. You must be in a Filipino house if: the first thing you see when you walk in the door is the piano.

My 2 children have music lessons (one chose the piano, the other the drums) and sports (both are in MMA, one is in soccer, the other one in tball).

Makes for well-rounded children. They don't get enough of music/phys ed in public school.

Let's see... I wouldn't consider Bruce Springsteen un-macho because he plays guitar instead of football.

Me - I'm a singer... karaoke singer. I can get 100 singing Star Spangled Banner on my leadsinger. lol.