Bye !

Laureltree

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank You LT, it would be our loss for you to leave. Glad you are staying... Do understand your feelings...

Yes Josie, I second that! I also agree that it would be our loss for you to leave...so Thank You LT for staying! :D

Amphiblitz,

I like your idea of calling it a discussion forum instead of a debate forum. That might be the missing key to a more peaceful, but nevertheless stimulating forum. :)

There is such a diverse group of people in this site, conflicts are bound to arise...especially when people feel so strongly about certain issues. When one's feelings have been hurt, it seems like they're sitting on a powder keg, just ready to explode. Others misread things, or read something into it that doesn't exist. It's so easy to take offense and/or overreact. In my experience, whenever one loses an argument, they usually resort to personal attacks.

Amphiblitz,

I like your idea of calling it a discussion forum instead of a debate forum. That might be the missing key to a more peaceful, but nevertheless stimulating forum. :)

Thank you. And, yes, I agree. Discussions certainly do not have to be boring, and we will learn much more from each other if we are in that mindset as opposed to a debating mindset.

Debates are for the birds and (presidential elections :) ). Either way, they don't really change any minds--just a bunch of hot air.

The debate about polygamy was very productive, in my opinion. I think we may have even reached an understanding.

In which case, I would say it must have morphed into a discussion, at some point. ;) I don't mean to play semantics. I really think that some good can come of this simple change.

While I do concede that the word debate does not solely refer to nasty exchanges between individuals who have absolutely no chance of changing their own or the opposing side's mind, I believe that viewing these dialogues under the umbrella of the word "discussion" helps keep those conversing as far from that as possible.

By consistently doing that, we will be continually reminded that the purpose of these exchanges are for understanding each other better, not for changing minds to be molded after our own. Sometimes that still can result in minds being changed or opinions modified. In fact, I would submit that it has that effect much more often than exchanges where the participants view it as a "debate".

But, that's just me. I'm not trying to convince anyone... :D

I may be naive but I believe that strong opinions can be shared without name calling and petty bickering. Points can be discussed or even debated without name calling.

What may be missing is the principle of "Loyal Opposition." I don't agree with you, but I know you are trying to bring about what is good. In politics, it's when Republicans and Democrats disagree, but consider one another to be patriotic. In religion, it's when we consider each other to be "God seekers."

Without this concept, my political opponent becomes "the enemy within" or a traitor. My religious opponent becomes a tool of Satan, whom I must rebuke.