What Happened After Jesus Died?

Uncle_Sam

I'm not sure what exactly Jesus was doing after he died during those 3 days he was gone. I've heard many different stories like "He was just resting" and "He was preaching in paradise and spirit prison" or "He was taking the keys of death away from Satan", and every person is convinced that they're version right. I would just like to know if anyone here knows the truth. Thanks for your help.

I'm not sure what exactly Jesus was doing after he died during those 3 days he was gone. I've heard many different stories like "He was just resting" and "He was preaching in paradise and spirit prison" or "He was taking the keys of death away from Satan", and every person is convinced that they're version right. I would just like to know if anyone here knows the truth. Thanks for your help.

Beside what others have stated, He also visited the "other lost sheep" after the third day. Just not only the Americas, England, Ten-Tribes, and two translated cities. Other location that are not listed in our current scriptures that GOD had lead away for HIS wise purposes. :D

Edited by Hemidakota

Beside what others have stated, He also visited the "other lost sheep". Just not only the Americas, England, Ten-Tribes, and two translated cities. Other location that are not listed in our current scriptures that GOD had lead away for HIS wise purposes. :D

Not during the three days between death and resurrection, which is what the OP is asking about. He did visit those peoples, but after his resurrection.

You can't get any clearer than D&C 138. However, if you have nonmember friends who want answers from the Bible, you can show them these other scriptures about what occurred between Jesus' death and resurrection:

Isaiah 24:21-22--

21 And it shall come to pass in that day, that the Lord shall punish the host of the high ones that are on high, and the kings of the earth upon the earth.

22 And they shall be gathered together, as prisoners are gathered in the pit, and shall be shut up in the prison, and after many days shall they be visited.

Isaiah 42:6-7--

I the Lord have called thee in righteousness, and will hold thine hand, and will keep thee, and give thee for a covenant of the people, for a light of the Gentiles;

7 To open the blind eyes, to bring out the prisoners from the prison, and them that sit in darkness out of the prison house.

Isaiah 61:1--

1 The Spirit of the Lord God is upon me; because the Lord hath anointed me to preach good tidings unto the meek; he hath sent me to bind up the brokenhearted, to proclaim iliberty to the captives, and the opening of the prison to them that are bound;

Zechariah 9:11--

11 As for thee also, by the blood of thy covenant I have sent forth thy prisoners out of the pit wherein is no water.

John 5:25--

5 Verily, verily, I say unto you, The hour is coming, and now is, when the dead shall hear the voice of the Son of God: and they that hear shall live.

1 Peter 4:6--

6 For for this cause was the gospel preached also to them that are dead, that they might be judged according to men in the flesh, but live according to God in the spirit.

1 Peter 3:18-20--

18 For Christ also hath once suffered for sins, the just for the unjust, that he might bring us to God, being put to death in the flesh, but quickened by the Spirit:

19 By which also he went and preached unto the spirits in prison;

20 Which sometime were disobedient, when once the longsuffering of God waited in the days of Noah, while the ark was a preparing, wherein few, that is, eight souls were saved by water.

Plainly stated, He only visited the "just" and not the rebellious.

8 “By which also he went and preached unto the spirits in aprison;

9 “Which sometime were disobedient, when once the long-suffering of God waited in the days of Noah, while the ark was a preparing, wherein few, that is, eight souls were saved by water.” (1 Peter 3:18—20.)

10 “For for this cause was the gospel preached also to them that are dead, that they might be judged according to men in the flesh, but live according to God in the spirit.” (1 Peter 4:6.)

11 As I apondered over these things which are bwritten, the ceyes of my dunderstanding were opened, and the Spirit of the Lord erested upon me, and I saw the hosts of the fdead, both small and great.

12 And there were gathered together in one place an innumerable company of the spirits of the just, who had been faithful in the ctestimony of Jesus while they lived in mortality;

13 And who had offered sacrifice in the similitude of the great sacrifice of the Son of God, and had suffered ctribulation in their Redeemer’s dname.

14 All these had departed the mortal life, firm in the hope of a glorious resurrection, through the grace of God the Father and his Only Begotten Son, Jesus Christ.

15 I beheld that they were filled with joy and gladness, and were rejoicing together because the day of their bdeliverance was at hand.

16 They were assembled awaiting the advent of the Son of God into the spirit world, to declare their redemption from the bands of death.

17 Their sleeping dust was to be restored unto its perfect frame, dbone to his bone, and the sinews and the flesh upon them, the espirit and the body to be united never again to be divided, that they might receive a fulness of fjoy.

18 While this vast multitude waited and conversed, rejoicing in the hour of their adeliverance from the chains of death, the Son of God appeared, declaring bliberty to the ccaptives who had been faithful;

19 And there he preached to them the everlasting gospel, the doctrine of the resurrection and the redemption of mankind from the fall, and from individual sins on conditions of erepentance.

20 But unto the wicked he did not go, and among the ungodly and the unrepentant who had defiled themselves while in the flesh, his voice was not raised;

21 Neither did the rebellious who rejected the bestimonies and the warnings of the ancient cprophets behold his dpresence, nor look upon his face.

22 Where these were, darkness reigned, but among the righteous there was peace;

23 And the saints rejoiced in their aredemption, and bowed the bknee and acknowledged the Son of God as their Redeemer and Deliverer from death and the cchains of dhell.

24 Their countenances ashone, and the bradiance from the presence of the Lord rested upon them, and they csang praises unto his holy name.

25 I marveled, for I understood that the Savior spent about three years in his aministry among the Jews and those of the house of Israel, endeavoring to bteach them the everlasting gospel and call them unto repentance;

26 And yet, notwithstanding his mighty works, and miracles, and proclamation of the truth, in great apower and authority, there were but few who hearkened to his voice, and rejoiced in his presence, and received salvation at his hands.

Thanks Wingnut, I correct the left out portion of the posting. I was referring after the spirit world appointment was complete did He visit others. The answer was already given by others.

Wow, thanks for the D&C 138 suggestion! I never knew that was there. As you can probably tell, I haven't read too many scriptures on my own:( Maybe it's time to start though:idea: lol.

But anyways, that answered my question pretty well right there. And it makes perfect sense to me too. Right after the atonement was finished, he would have wanted to start the saving of souls as soon as possible, thus creating a dream-team of missionaries to preach repentance unto the dead:D Thanks for the help ladies and gents.