Looking for a talk with a quote from President Hinckley

jasonpbyu

Unfortunately, no time frame, pretty sure it was within the last 5 maybe 10 years of his life (huge span i know). I'm thinking it may have been in response to Larry King or another media interview when they asked him how he wanted to be remembered and he said he often fears he will be remembered as the prophet that nobody listened to.

Hoping this triggers something for someone :)

Ironically, you'll have a hard time finding many who recall the quote. That may have something to do with the fact that it appears to have been said in an interview. I can find a number of anecdotal references to what you're saying, most of which start with "I recall" or "My sister said that." But there are very few that have put on the internet a first hand experience of hearing the statement, and none have bothered to provide a reference.

This was in 2005 concerning "Food Storage" is what Googles reveal. Still searching though...

That's a really interesting point, Hemi. What was the context of the quote. If he was talking about food storage and saying that he'd be the prophet nobody listened to, that's an awful lot different than him saying he'll be the prophet remembered as the one nobody listened to.

In an interview with Larry King, President Hinckley said, "I sometimes feel like the last leaf on the tree and the wind's blowing." I suppose that could be taken the way the quote you gave at the beginning means, but he was referring to all his friends dying, because they're all old, and he's the only one left. So the context, is completely different.

Food storage has always been an issue if that was what he was referring too. It is too easy to pop into the market on your way home from work. People don't see the calamity until after it happens. If we had some kind of disaster, the food in my mom's kitchen wouldn't feed her for a week. She buys flour in package sizes I didn't even know existed (tiny.) After our bout with unemployment, our food storage is very sad. I'd be interested to know what percentage of Mormons even bother with it.

Food storage has always been an issue if that was what he was referring too. It is too easy to pop into the market on your way home from work. People don't see the calamity until after it happens. If we had some kind of disaster, the food in my mom's kitchen wouldn't feed her for a week. She buys flour in package sizes I didn't even know existed (tiny.) After our bout with unemployment, our food storage is very sad. I'd be interested to know what percentage of Mormons even bother with it.

I wish that I had more space to store food in. My in-laws have been living off their food storage for 6 months, and this isn't the first time in their married life that they've had to rely on it. Every birthday or holiday seems to involve at least one food-storage-related gift from my mother-in-law. At first I thought it was weird, but now I appreciate the encouragement.

True but it would be more needful first learn to listen to the Spirit when it prompts you prior to a catastrophe to act - in what to do. Having food storage maybe advantage for many places but in others, it may not where a 72-hr back pack and anything that can be carried will be more important.

We will never know the true numbers unless everyone did home teaching or visiting teaching to ask that question.