LDS Sailors, insight, please?

Bostwick

I am a recent convert, being baptized 10 months ago and I attended church regularly until last month when I was hired as a lab technician for a local factory. The place runs 24/7 and I am not guaranteed Sundays off. It's been 3 weeks since I have been able to attend sacrament. I'm very frustrated with the situation and began weighing my options and looking elsewhere for a job. It isn't easy in these tough economic times, but like an answer to my prayers I was extended a federal job offering for the Military Sealift Command last week. As a merchant mariner, I would have good benefits, a stable job, and decent pay. The catch is, I would have to uproot myself from this small California town and move to Norfolk, VA. After passing a competency test, I would go to a training school in New Jersey for a month then live out of a hotel back in Virgina for a few weeks until I get assigned a ship. Once I report for duty on said ship, it can be ported anywhere from the east coast to the Netherlands. I am tied to a ship for a minimum period of 4 month intervals before qualifying for paid leave of up to 2 weeks.

The opportunity seems like a good jump from having a "seasonal job" to an actual "career," but I am really concerned about Church access. Are there any sailors (Navy or civilian) LDS out there who can give me a better picture of what it's like living out of a suitcase on a boat and how much it may interfere with my church activities?

I served 20 years in the USAF, and knew many sailors. There's usually a small group of LDS on most larger ships that get together for their meetings weekly, etc.

Most military bases have an LDS congregation attached to them, also. And since they are military, they are considerate of the needs of the military, including those who work most Sundays.

YEs you need to remember that by being in the Military you are serving everysingle Citizen of the United States. And service towards others is perfectly fine on Sundays. I would just get permission from your bishop to bless sacrament yourself.

The only thing is, merchant marines are not IN the military. They are a civilian auxiliary of the Navy but not a uniformed service.

*edit to add* I forgot to mention one thing. They are not a uniformed service unless in times of war.

Edited by pam

Are there any sailors (Navy or civilian) LDS out there who can give me a better picture of what it's like living out of a suitcase on a boat and how much it may interfere with my church activities?

USN, 1963-67, USS Sellers, DDG-11 (and MCB6 (Seabees), DaNang, VN). Ain't a boat, ain't a suitcase. Go read Melville. A ship at sea is at the furthest remove from the venue of most religions, which are pastoral. Drove Noah to drink.

I'm female, served 5 + years as USN member. At one point in my life, I moved 25 times in 5 years. It's possible, but I think a lot of it boils down to one's personal dedication to the Gospel. If you think about the pioneers that settle Salt Lake, Utah, Idaho and Arizona way back in the late 1800's, when the physical distance was too great to reach others, especially in winter, there often was very little interpersonal fellowship between the members. Yet somehow, despite the problems they had, some of those members thrived in the Gospel, gaining testamonies that far exceeding that of some modern members. Whatever happens, I think it is going become your choice. Many people that have the chance to visit church every Sunday, often don't. Some can't attend as often as they wish, yet have spiritual growth. I wish you great success. FC

I am a recent convert, being baptized 10 months ago and I attended church regularly until last month when I was hired as a lab technician for a local factory. The place runs 24/7 and I am not guaranteed Sundays off. It's been 3 weeks since I have been able to attend sacrament. I'm very frustrated with the situation and began weighing my options and looking elsewhere for a job. It isn't easy in these tough economic times, but like an answer to my prayers I was extended a federal job offering for the Military Sealift Command last week. As a merchant mariner, I would have good benefits, a stable job, and decent pay. The catch is, I would have to uproot myself from this small California town and move to Norfolk, VA. After passing a competency test, I would go to a training school in New Jersey for a month then live out of a hotel back in Virgina for a few weeks until I get assigned a ship. Once I report for duty on said ship, it can be ported anywhere from the east coast to the Netherlands. I am tied to a ship for a minimum period of 4 month intervals before qualifying for paid leave of up to 2 weeks.

The opportunity seems like a good jump from having a "seasonal job" to an actual "career," but I am really concerned about Church access. Are there any sailors (Navy or civilian) LDS out there who can give me a better picture of what it's like living out of a suitcase on a boat and how much it may interfere with my church activities?

There is always a small contingent group of LDS aboard most naval vessels to include Marines.

You simply need to find out from the Chaplin aboard the ship who is the assigned lay leader or assigned LDS Chaplin. He will point you in the right direction. If not, then talk to your local Bishop for help.

Isn’t Norfolk closing?

• 2 weeks later...

So, I just got out of the navy after giving it six years of my life. Incidentally, about a year and a half ago I joined the church while still stationed on a sea going vessel.

My boat was in home port when I decided to join the church and be baptized. Everything was fine until it came time to go out to sea. I was stationed on a submarine, and was the only Mormon on board, so there was no Mormon service on board. I asked my Branch President about whether I'd be able to bless my own sacrament, and he informed me that at least two people were required for that. The end result was that while out to sea, I was pretty much without any official religious service.

After again checking with my Branch President to see if it was okay, I ended up attending the Protestant services while out to sea. It actually turned out to be a decent missionary move, as I was able to share a bit about what we Mormons believe and even sneak in a bit of Mormon doctrine into the discussions.

Needless to say, I missed not being able to attend my meetings and fellowship while I was out, but the fact that I had to disappear for extended periods was never held against me. I was able to hold a reasonably involved calling and participate as much as I could, and other members picked up my slack when I couldn't.

One advantage to being stick on a boat for long periods of time is that it removes a lot of distractions from your life. I never read my scriptures or contemplated the gospel as much as I did out to sea. All in all, there are definitely challenges that you have to overcome, but the experience can also be very edifying if you let it be.

I hope my response was helpful, and good luck with whatever you decide :)

• 4 years later...

I know this is an old topic but I figured I would add my two cents worth if anyone was interested. I am the Captain of an ocean going tug and barge unit. I have been going to sea for 16 years. I converted to LDS about 5 years ago. My wife is a lifelong member. I work three weeks on and three weeks off… I am the only Mormon on my vessel and with most merchant ships there is a small crew and no clergy or anything like that aboard. We have Direct TV and I am able to watch BYU TV so I can watch General Conference and other LDS religious shows but I doubt you will find a Chaplin aboard an MSC ship. They are manned with a small crew of civilian sailors and maybe a few active duty sailors and marines for security while at sea. I started my career in the Coast Guard and since they are a small service we had no chaplains aboard. I would advise against MSC if you intend to have a family life… There are many other ways to have a successful career at sea and get wayyyyyy more time off than 4 months on (if you are lucky, I know guys with MSC who were gone for 16 months…) and then 2 weeks off. I have never worked more that equal time on and off and never more than a 4 weeks away. 3 weeks on and 3 off isn't too bad when you get used to it and I attend church regularly when I am home. I'd be happy to answer anything about sailing on merchant ships or the Coast Guard. I know a little about the Navy but I didn't serve in the Navy so its 2nd hand knowledge but like I said above I have been doing this for 16 years straight. Its my life and my wife and 3 daughters lives too...