Can We Be Sure We Are 'saved'?

prisonchaplain

Another teaching outline for your reading pleasure. :)

SALVATION IS

AS SURE AS THE ONE WHO GIVES IT!

Introduction: Many religious people have no assurance that they are saved.

1. They rely on their good works–but did they do enough?

2. They rely on their staying away from sin–but are the bad deeds they have already done too great?

3. They believe they cannot truly know they are saved until they die.

Scripture: 1 John 5:13: THESE THINGS HAVE I WRITTEN UNTO YOU THAT BELIEVE ON THE NAME OF THE SON OF GOD; THAT YE MAY KNOW THAT YE HAVE ETERNAL LIFE, AND THAT YE MAY BELIEVE ON THE NAME OF THE SON OF GOD.

Proposition: We can know that we are saved–that we really are Christians.

Interrogative: How can we know for sure that we are saved?

Transition: The first way we can know we are saved is if we believe in Jesus.

I. We must believe in the name of the Son of God.

A. Jesus said he is the only way to God–the only way to salvation. John 14:6

JESUS SAITH UNTO HIM, I AM THE WAY, THE TRUTH, AND THE LIFE: NO MAN COMETH UNTO THE FATHER, BUT BY ME.

B. Romans 3:23 Tells us that all have sinned, and Romans 6:23 says that the result of our sin is death, but that the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord.

3:23: FOR ALL HAVE SINNED, AND COME SHORT OF THE GLORY OF GOD;

6:23: FOR THE WAGES OF SIN IS DEATH; BUT THE GIFT OF GOD IS ETERNAL LIFE THROUGH JESUS CHRIST OUR LORD.

C. Perhaps the simplest verse concerning this matter is John 3:16. If we believe in Jesus Christ, then we are saved.

3:16: FOR GOD SO LOVED THE WORLD, THAT HE GAVE HIS ONLY BEGOTTEN SON, THAT WHOSOEVER BELIEVETH IN HIM SHOULD NOT PERISH, BUT HAVE EVERLASTING LIFE.

D. Application: Sometimes the simple assurance of salvation is enough to confound the most devoted religionist, who knows not Jesus.

A middle-aged woman attends a Christian church, and, at the invitation of the speaker, goes to the front and prays to receive Jesus as her Lord and Savior. She heads home knowing one Scripture verse–John 3:16. A couple of hours later, representatives from the Watchtower Bible & Tract Society knock on her door, introduce themselves as Christian ministers, and tell her that they would like to talk to her about Jesus. She brings them in and sits with them. Mind you, she’s been a Christian for two-hours. Despite her age, she is a babe in Christ. Nevertheless, she begins to tell them about her life of troubles and sins. After about 20 minutes or so of explaining how miserable she had been, she tells them that this very day she was told that God loved the world so much, that He gave his one and only Son, that if she would believe in him, she would not perish, but have everlasting life. She prayed the prayer, God did forgive her, and now she feels so clean, so free, so in love with God and his ways. She looks at the two before her and says, “Is this the Jesus you came to tell me about?”

One verse. One testimony. She says the two left, and the younger one turned to the older and said, “Maybe we’re on the wrong track.”

Transition: It sounds good to say that all we must do to be saved is believe in Jesus, but didn’t James say that “Faith without works is dead?”

II. We must obey God’s commands. The more we do the more we will have assurance about our salvation.

James 2:14-19: 14What good is it, my brothers, if a man claims to have faith but has no deeds? Can such faith save him? 15Suppose a brother or sister is without clothes and daily food. 16If one of you says to him, "Go, I wish you well; keep warm and well fed," but does nothing about his physical needs, what good is it? 17In the same way, faith by itself, if it is not accompanied by action, is dead.

18But someone will say, "You have faith; I have deeds."

Show me your faith without deeds, and I will show you my faith by what I do.

19You believe that there is one God. Good! Even the demons

A. This does not mean we earn salvation by good works.

B. Rather, it means that salvation–becoming right with God–will produce in us good works. If there are no good works coming from us, then we must question whether we truly have faith.

C. The writer does not say that his good works earn him salvation, but rather that those good works are evidence that he does indeed have faith.

D. The parable of the sower and the seeds.

1. Some hear the gospel and reject it. No faith and no good works.

2. Some hear the gospel, accept it quickly, but when trouble comes, they give up. Good works, but without true faith.

3. Some hear the gospel and accept it. Over time they concentrate more on their own needs, and they drift away from God. Few good works with the claim of faith.

4. Some hear the gospel, receive it, produce fruit in varying amounts. Faith + good works–some, a good amount, and a great amount.

Transition: If faith produces good works, and I have done bad works, am I lost?

III. We must respond to the guilt we feel when we do wrong.

A. God stays with us even when we stray. Psalm 139:7-12

7 Where can I go from your Spirit?

Where can I flee from your presence?

8 If I go up to the heavens, you are there;

if I make my bed in the depths, [a] you are there.

9 If I rise on the wings of the dawn,

if I settle on the far side of the sea,

10 even there your hand will guide me,

your right hand will hold me fast.

11 If I say, "Surely the darkness will hide me

and the light become night around me,"

12 even the darkness will not be dark to you;

the night will shine like the day,

for darkness is as light to you.

1. God chases after us when we try to hide from him.

2. Even when we are in the midst of sin, the Holy Spirit is trying to direct us back to God.

B. When we feel that guilt, we must sincerely repent and confess ours sins to God. 1 John 1:9

1:9: IF WE CONFESS OUR SINS, HE IS FAITHFUL AND JUST TO FORGIVE US OUR SINS, AND TO CLEANSE US FROM ALL UNRIGHTEOUSNESS.

1. God will forgive us.

2. God will erase every sin we repent of.

C. If you suffer for your sins, that does not mean God has failed to forgive you.

1. David and Bathsheba

a. David commits adultery with Bathsheba.

b. When she becomes pregnant, he has her husband set up to die in battle.

c. 2 Samuel 12:14: God forgave David’s sin, but the result was that his firstborn son would die.

14 But because by doing this you have made the enemies of the LORD show utter contempt, the son born to you will die."

2. Zacheaus became a Christian, yet he paid those he had cheated before four times the amount he cheated them out of. Sometimes we must suffer for our past sins, even though God has forgiven us.

CONCLUSIONS

1. We are saved in one way–by believing in Jesus Christ.

2. Obedience to God and good works are the normal outcomes of having faith in Jesus.

3. When we sin as Christians, we must repent, confess our sins, and we must endure the consequences of our sin. God forgives us, but he does not promise to spare us from the results of our wrong-doing.

a. Sometimes God delivers us from our self-made problems.

b. More often he suffers with us as he strengthens us in the midst of those problems.

PC,

I agree with you on all I read there. I will admit that I read it quickly. True to accept Christ is what it takes to be saved but and it is a big but. If we do nothing with that have we truly accepted Christ? Would the true Christian pass by the beaten man as did the Priest and the Levite and only the Samaritan took the time.

By their fruits ye shall know them. The day will come when many will claim to the Savior, we have cast out devils in thy name and he will say "I knew thee not"

Works do not save but they are a demonstration of our faith.

Ben

PC,

I agree with you on all I read there. I will admit that I read it quickly. True to accept Christ is what it takes to be saved but and it is a big but. If we do nothing with that have we truly accepted Christ? Would the true Christian pass by the beaten man as did the Priest and the Levite and only the Samaritan took the time.

By their fruits ye shall know them. The day will come when many will claim to the Savior, we have cast out devils in thy name and he will say "I knew thee not"

Works do not save but they are a demonstration of our faith.

Ben

Probably the biggest source of misunderstanding between Mormons and evangelicals on this doctrine of salvation is what it means to be saved. Generally speaking, Mormons emphasize the life of salvation, whereas evangelicals emphasize the moment of salvation (or conversion). Those of us evangelicals who are of the Armenian tradition, and do not teach "the perserverence of the Saints" (as Calvinists do), are particular close to you in our teachings.

To quote from the rather lengthy teaching above: 2. Obedience to God and good works are the normal outcomes of having faith in Jesus.

3. When we sin as Christians, we must repent, confess our sins, and we must endure the consequences of our sin.

So, yes, the true Christian will not only believe, but also do (or not do). Additionally, believers understanding that when they fall short, and repent, there still may be consequences to their actions.

Bottom-line: I believe we can both say, "Amen--so be it."

PC,

Along the line of discussing the need for some works after accepting Christ what is your understanding of John 3:5?

We believe that the Lord requires that we be baptized in order to enter his kingdom. This baptism of water and as most Christians believe the baptism of Spirit.

This is why we baptize for the living and the dead.

PC,

Along the line of discussing the need for some works after accepting Christ what is your understanding of John 3:5?

We believe that the Lord requires that we be baptized in order to enter his kingdom. This baptism of water and as most Christians believe the baptism of Spirit.

This is why we baptize for the living and the dead.

I agree with my fellowship that Water Baptism is a testimony to the salvation story that has already taken place in my life. To make baptism a prerequisite of salvation would seem to be to require a "work." Rather, like good works, water baptism is a fruit of salvation. The going under the water represents the death and burial of Jesus, and the death and burial of 'the old man'--my old life, my old ways of sin. The coming out of the water represents the resurrection of Christ, and my resurrection to new life, freed from the bondage of sin. This view is called the Believer's Baptism, or Credo (creed, belief) Baptism.

As such, we see John 3:5: Jesus answered, Veryily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born of water and of the Spirit, he cannot enter into the kingdom of God. as having two possible meanings:

1. born of water could simply mean natural birth--which contrasts with being born of the Spirit, or 'born again.'

2. "water" often means spirit in John's gospel. It is quite possible that verse 5 could be translated, "born of water, EVEN of the Spirit." Indeed, verse 8 only mentions being born of the Spirit.

Note also that at the time Jesus was having his dialogue with Nicodemus (a Jewish Teacher, not a follower of the Way), the only water baptism was that of John--a baptism of repentence.

Having said all this, water baptism is an extremely important commandment, that must be obeyed. Too often, when I see so-called converts hesitate to be baptized, what I am really seeing is someone for whom Jesus is Savior, but not Lord. Quite often the reason for hesitation is hidden sin.

3. When we sin as Christians, we must repent, confess our sins, and we must endure the consequences of our sin.

So, yes, the true Christian will not only believe, but also do (or not do). Additionally, believers understanding that when they fall short, and repent, there still may be consequences to their actions.

Bottom-line: I believe we can both say, "Amen--so be it."

I agree that this coincides with LDS Doctrine. But rather than endure the consequences of our sin, we must make amends when possible. With an addition of when we repent, we must pay the consequences sometimes right then. Don't know if I am making this clear. I found an article by Marion J. Romney, then Second Councilor of the First Presidency, that does state it more clearly.

http://library.lds.org/nxt/gateway.dll?f=t...;fn=default.htm

Marion G. Romney, “Repentance,” Ensign, Nov. 1980, 47

<snip>As to the nature of repentance, the Lord has said, “By this ye may know if a man repenteth of his sins—behold, he will confess them and forsake them” (D&C 58:43).

There doesn’t seem to be much uncertainty about the meaning of forsake. However, the requirement to confess is not so universally understood. As a matter of fact, there is considerable confusion in the world about the confessing of sins, and a lot of false doctrine. By way of an assist in clearing up the confusion, I repeat some comments heretofore made on this subject.

We are to confess all our sins to the Lord. For transgressions which are wholly personal, affecting none but ourselves and the Lord, confession to ourselves and him would seem to be sufficient.

As a matter of fact, no good can come from confessing to anyone else. President Brigham Young once said, “Keep your follies that do not concern others to yourselves, and keep your private wickedness as still as possible; hide it from the eyes of the public gaze as far as you can” (Discourses of Brigham Young, sel. John A. Widtsoe, Salt Lake City: Deseret Book Co., 1941, p. 158).

For misconduct which affects another, confession should also be made to the offended one and his forgiveness sought.

Finally, where one’s transgressions are of such a nature as would, unrepented of, put in jeopardy his right to membership or fellowship in the Church of Christ, full and effective confession requires confession by the repentant sinner to his bishop or other proper presiding Church officer—not that the Church officer could forgive him the sin (for this power rests in the Lord himself and those only to whom he specifically delegates the power), but rather that the Church, acting through its duly appointed officers (the power is not in the officer but in the Church), might with full knowledge of the facts take such action with respect to Church discipline as the circumstances require and merit.

One having forsaken his sins and, by proper confession, cleared his conduct with the Lord, with the people he has offended, and with the Church of Jesus Christ, where necessary, may with full confidence seek the Lord’s forgiveness and go forth in newness of life, relying upon the merits of Christ.

The Lord has said, “He who has repented of his sins, the same is forgiven, and I, the Lord, remember them no more” (D&C 58:42).<snip>

Not only does the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints baptize by water ~ it is full immersion baptism.

I agree that this coincides with LDS Doctrine. But rather than endure the consequences of our sin, we must make amends when possible. With an addition of when we repent, we must pay the consequences sometimes right then. Don't know if I am making this clear.

I think we agree. What you've added does not contradict, but rather completes my thought: Yes, when we sin we must MAKE AMENDS. You are right--and I did not put that idea in my teaching. However, I think you agree, that we should be ready to face any natural consequences as well--and that those consequences do not negate God's forgivness.

Not only does the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints baptize by water ~ it is full immersion baptism.

Ironically, most churches that practice Believers' Baptism also immerse (mine is no exception). Most churches that practice sacremental baptism (salvation is in the ritual) allow sprinkling. Of course they also baptize infants. The LDS is unique in combining sacramental baptism with immersion, and waiting until the child is old enough.

One of my favorite scriptures on this topic comes from the Pearl of Great Price - Moses 6:58-60:

Therefore I give unto you a commandment, to teach these things freely unto your children, saying: That by reason of transgression cometh the fall, which fall bringeth death, and inasmuch as ye were born into the world by water, and blood, and the spirit, which I have made, and so became of dust a living soul, even so ye must be born again into the kingdom of heaven, of water, and of the Spirit, and be cleansed by blood, even the blood of mine Only Begotten; that ye might be sanctified from all sin, and enjoy the words of eternal life in this world, and eternal life in the world to come, even immortal glory; For by the water ye keep the commandment; by the Spirit ye are justified, and by the blood ye are sanctified;

Now I realize you don't accept that as scripture, PC, but it illustrates LDS understanding of what is required to attain salvation. The Lord teaches so many things to his children by "types and shaddows." Here He parallels our birth here on earth to our rebirth into the kingdom of heaven. Clearly, baptism, as well as receiving the Holy Ghost and accepting Chirst's atonement are necessary.

This is off-topic, but I want to share it:

I discovered the beauty of this scripture shortly after the birth of one of my children, when I was staying in a hotel room with both of my parents (both non-LDS) the night before my grandmother's funeral. Dad was to give a short sermon, and asked me to look up the scripture about "dust thou art" (Dad hadn't been to Church in over 20 years, and was pretty rusty, but clearly the most quallified among his siblings for this task). I was a fairly new member of the LDS faith and looked up "dust" and found these verses, copied them out and handed them to Dad. He really liked them and fit them into his grave-side sermon the next day. He cited Moses 6:59-60. I looked around and not one of my relatives seemed to catch on that that book isn't in the bible!

Back to the topic at hand:

The Articles of Faith cover this, too. We believe that all mankind may be saved by obedience to the laws and ordinences of the gospel. (emphasis added) and We believe the first principles and ordinances of the gospel are first, faith in the Lord, Jesus Christ, second, repentance, third, baptism by immersion for the remission of sins, fourth, laying on of hands for the gift of the Holy Ghost (emphasis added) (and also - these are from memory, and may be off by an "and" or "the", but are otherwise accurate.)

Prisonchplain:

Yes we believe, in a sure salvation, for He who gives it doesnt lie.

Passages from our scriptures are:

D&C 123: 17

17 Therefore, dearly beloved brethren, let us acheerfully do all things that lie in our power; and then may we stand still, with the utmost assurance, to see the salvation of God, and for his arm to be revealed.

Alma 19:29 And it came to pass that she went and took the queen by the a hand, that perhaps she might raise her from the ground; and as soon as she touched her hand she arose and stood upon her feet, and cried with a loud voice, saying: O blessed Jesus, who has saved me from an awful hell! O blessed God, have cmercy on this people!

Alma 24: 16

16 And now, my brethren, if our brethren seek to destroy us, behold, we will hide away our swords, yea, even we will bury them deep in the earth, that they may be kept bright, as a testimony that we have never used them, at the last day; and if our brethren destroy us, behold, we shall a go to our God and shall be saved.

Alma 12:34 Therefore, whosoever repenteth, and hardeneth not his heart, he shall have claim on amercy through mine Only Begotten Son, unto a remission of his sins; and these shall enter into my crest

Alma 34: 16

16 And thus a mercy can satisfy the demands of justice, and encircles them in the arms of safety,

D&c 45:3 Listen to him who is the aadvocate with the Father , who is pleading your cause before him

4 Saying: Father, behold the a sufferings and bdeath of him who did no c sin, in whom thou wast well pleased; behold the blood of thy Son which was shed, the blood of him whom thou gavest that thyself might be d glorified;

5 Wherefore, Father, spare these my a brethren that b believe on my name, that they may come unto me and have c everlasting life.

D&C 20: 30 And we know that ajustification through the b grace of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ is just and true;

31 And we know also, that asanctification through the grace of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ is just and true, to all those who love and serve God with all their c mights, minds, and strength.

32 But there is a possibility that man may a fall from grace and depart from the living God;

And one of my favorites poems that is contained in the D&C 99

The Lord hath brought again Zion;

The Lord hath a redeemed his people, Israel,

According to the celection of d grace,

Which was brought to pass by the faith

And ecovenant of their fathers.

100 The Lord hath redeemed his people;

And Satan is bound and time is no longer.

The Lord hath gathered all things in one.

The Lord hath brought down Zion from above.

The Lord hath brought up Zion from beneath.

So as we see, we are assured unto salvation, our only worry is to retain that salvation which has been given to us so we may not fall as Paul said, that we may endure to the end so to be found holy and acceptable unto the Lord through Jesus.

Again i say, our obedience is not a way to buy heaven but to be grateful because of that gift ALREADY given to us through Christ, but is yet required to be obidient, for that same salvation that comes ONLY through faith without works, is only RETAINED through the fruit of LOVE for God which is obidience, hence Paul says three things stay yet, love, faith and hope but the most important, love. Salvation as to eternal life has nothing to do with our views of being perfect, for we first are reconciled to God, through faith alone, and then retain it, but perfection is a matter of progress not obtaned in this life, nor the other, but after a LONG LONG time. Of course that salvation requires works but not in order to obtain it but to stay in it, for those who labor shall have their reward, and as king Benjamin said, our effort is not to buy heaven but to retain the worthiness through serving Christ, keeping the commandments , hence our part of the covenant.

Here is a scripture on the subject which, if I'm not mistaken, is overlooked quite often:

D&C 131: 5-6

5: The more sure word of prophecy means a man's knowing that he is sealed up unto eternal life, by revelation and the spirit of prophesy, through the power of the holy priesthood.

6: It is impossible for a man to be saved in ignorance.

When he says it's impossible for a man to be saved in ignorance, he's not referring to the idea that the person didn't have any knowledge of Christ, but that the person didn't have the knowledge that he was saved. Some people will say "I've done good works in my life so I know I'm saved." However, according to this passage, that's not good enough. Perhaps they have done good works, but they are basing their knowledge of salvation on their belief that salvation comes from good works. Therfore their salvation is merely a belief and not a knowledge. So how can they "Know" and not merely "Believe"? According to this passage, they must learn through revelation and the spirit of prophesy that they are saved. This is kind of hard to explain, but suffice it to say that if you hear a person say: "Well I think I've done good enough, I've always done what I felt was right, I'm pretty sure I've earned my salvation." you can know by this that that man has not earned his salvation. This is according to Joseph Smith's teachings, however. In the early LDS church, there were a few instances where some men were given the blessing of "The More Sure Word of Prophecy." This was a rare thing, and only the most faithful and prominent members earned this blessing.

I think part of the problem is that when we think there is a problem it is always with someone else. No one ever says "This is the line where you can think G-d loves you but in reality you will be damned - every body that wants this just get in line." When Jesus told his Apostles that one would betray him did Peter turn to James and say "I bet that it is Judas - he has sure been acting strange lately"? No what each said is "L-rd is it I". If there is a possibility that someone will not make it and we are thinking it isn't me that is one kind of stupid - but the worse of stupid is to think you know who it is that G-d cannot save.

I see the problem of salvation is that many seem to think that positive scriptures only speak to them (excluding others - especially those that do not think like them) and the negative scriptures speak of someone else (excluding themself). If G-d saves you and you do not deserve it; why assume that he cannot save another that does not deserve it? As for me I cannot believe that a loving and caring G-d that would sacrifice his very life and then would allow one person of any time and place that wants in their heart to embrace good to be damned. I do not believe that such is "good news".

If there is one such in all eternity that would be lost then I pray that it is me for I could not accept eternal bliss knowing one other that was good or could be good in their heart, was damned - I am sorry I cannot sing songs of joy and and adoration to a "all powerful" G-d that would delight in such a thing for the G-d that I worship will leave the 99 to make sure that that every last one lost sheep is found. It pains me when any one implies that G-d would just sit back and say woops to bad for that one - oh well the rest of us will have great fun - lets party!!!

The Traveler

I see the problem of salvation is that many seem to think that positive scriptures only speak to them (excluding others - especially those that do not think like them) and the negative scriptures speak of someone else (excluding themself). If G-d saves you and you do not deserve it; why assume that he cannot save another that does not deserve it? As for me I cannot believe that a loving and caring G-d that would sacrifice his very life and then would allow one person of any time and place that wants in their heart to embrace good to be damned. I do not believe that such is "good news".

Quite often Christians, evangelicals in particular, are accused of arrogance, elitism, etc. for claiming that all nonbelievers will be damned. However, Jesus said he was the only way to the Father, and that none could come to the Father, except through him (John 14:6). I understand that Mormon theology says, "Right. So, only the worthy will go the Celestial Kingdom and see the Father." Then, sincere good people go to an eternal reward that looks much like evangelicals describe heaven anyway.

It just strikes me as a rather forced reading in John 14 to suggest that Jesus was merely extoling himself as a way to the BEST REWARD, rather than warning the people that they needed to follow him.

If there is one such in all eternity that would be lost then I pray that it is me for I could not accept eternal bliss knowing one other that was good or could be good in their heart, was damned - I am sorry I cannot sing songs of joy and and adoration to a "all powerful" G-d that would delight in such a thing for the G-d that I worship will leave the 99 to make sure that that every last one lost sheep is found. It pains me when any one implies that G-d would just sit back and say woops to bad for that one - oh well the rest of us will have great fun - lets party!!!

The Bible says there is none righteous, not one. All have sinned and fallen short of the glory of God. We are without excuse. Those who sin, have given themselves over to such sins, even though the knew God is. I say with confidence--I have this testimony in my heart--that on the Day of Judgment no protests, no questions will be raised. When we see who is blessed and who is damned, all will say "Yea and amen. God is good, God is just, God is merciful."

BTW, this testimony did not come to me easily. Someone close to me converted to Christ, then three days later committed suicide. My question to God, of course, "Where is he?" After three weeks of seeking God's face, I got an answer much like Job got: God says, "I am good and just." So, did he pretend to convert to give me peace? Was he sincere, but did not endure to the end? Will God see his mental state, and have mercy on a soul that cried out to him in sincerity? The answer: God is good, God is just. My peace is not where he is at, but in whom I worship.

I will point out that when I mentioned 'salvation' in my above post, I was referring to 'salvation in the celestial kingdom.' And according to my understanding of Joseph Smith's teachings, if someone is worthy of that kingdom, they will "know" it, and not merely "believe" it. All else are not neccessarily damned, but they may have earned a place in one of the lower kingdoms.

• 1 month later...

I will point out that when I mentioned 'salvation' in my above post, I was referring to 'salvation in the celestial kingdom.' And according to my understanding of Joseph Smith's teachings, if someone is worthy of that kingdom, they will "know" it, and not merely "believe" it. All else are not neccessarily damned, but they may have earned a place in one of the lower kingdoms.

Ok everyone has a change to go too the CELESTIAL KINGDOM that means people who are in diffrent faiths people who dont belive in anything!! and the list goes on and on...... they all get to hear the gospel i have given you Doctrine of this!!

i have also given you Doctrine of people who have already heard the gospel and Etc ....

D&C 76:54. What Is the Church of the Firstborn?

“Those who gain exaltation in the celestial kingdom are those who are members of the Church of the Firstborn; in other words, those who keep all the commandments of the Lord. . . .

“The Lord has made it possible for us to become members of the Church of the Firstborn, by receiving the blessings of the house of the Lord and overcoming all things. Thus we become heirs, ‘priests, and kings, who have received of his fulness, and of his glory,’ who shall ‘dwell in the presence of God and his Christ forever and ever,’ with full exaltation.” (Smith, Doctrines of Salvation, 2:41–42.)

Certain apostates have taken this sacred name upon themselves, blasphemously claiming to have met all of these requirements, when they are in fact in a state of wickedness and rebellion.

Joseph Smith and Sidney Rigdon’s vision of the three degrees of glory

D&C 76:72–74. Do Those Who Receive the Gospel in the Spirit World Inherit the Terrestrial Kingdom?

Those who hear the gospel in mortality and do not accept it but lead otherwise honorable lives will inherit the terrestrial kingdom. Those who do not have the opportunity to hear the gospel in mortality but accept it in the spirit world can inherit the celestial kingdom.

Joseph Smith learned through another revelation that “all who have died without a knowledge of this gospel, who would have received it if they had been permitted to tarry, shall be heirs of the celestial kingdom of God” (D&C 137:7). Those “who received not the testimony of Jesus in the flesh” (D&C 76:74) are those who heard the gospel in mortality and rejected it. If they “afterwards received it” (v. 74), that is, in the spirit world, they will go to the terrestrial kingdom.

Elder Bruce R. McConkie taught the foolishness of believing that a person can reject the gospel in this life, accept it in the next, and still inherit celestial glory. “This life is the time and day of our probation. After this day of life, which is given us to prepare for eternity, then cometh the night of darkness wherein there can be no labor performed.

“For those who do not have an opportunity to believe and obey the holy word in this life, the first chance to gain salvation will come in the spirit world. If those who hear the word for the first time in the realms ahead are the kind of people who would have accepted the gospel here, had the opportunity been afforded them, they will accept it there. . . .

“. . . Those who reject the gospel in this life and then receive it in the spirit world go not to the celestial, but to the terrestrial kingdom.” (“The Seven Deadly Heresies,” in Speeches of the Year, 1980 [Provo: Brigham Young University Press, 1981], pp. 77–78.)

Elder Theodore M. Burton said: “There are many in this world who lived and died without ever having an opportunity to hear the gospel of Jesus Christ. We know that there are many men and women who die unbaptized, because some teacher, missionary, or leader who should have taught them was so poorly trained, so lacking in faith, and so unprepared to bear personal witness of Jesus Christ that the hearer never understood the message as he should have done. Should such people be damned forever for lack of proper instruction, because of an accident of birth, or because of the inadequacies of others? I say: ‘No!’ God is a God of justice and love and mercy. Every man is entitled to a just chance to know and accept Jesus Christ or to reject him if he feels the price of acceptance is too high” (in Conference Report, Apr. 1964, 72).

D&C 76:79. What Does It Mean to Be Valiant in the Testimony of the Savior?

Elder Bruce R. McConkie asked:

“What does it mean to be valiant in the testimony of Jesus?

“It is to be courageous and bold; to use all our strength, energy, and ability in the warfare with the world; to fight the good fight of faith. . . . The great cornerstone of valiance in the cause of righteousness is obedience to the whole law of the whole gospel.

“To be valiant in the testimony of Jesus is to ‘come unto Christ, and be perfected in him’; it is to deny ourselves ‘of all ungodliness,’ and ‘love God’ with all our ‘might, mind and strength.’ (Moro. 10:32.)

“To be valiant in the testimony of Jesus is to believe in Christ and his gospel with unshakable conviction. It is to know of the verity and divinity of the Lord’s work on earth.

“But this is not all. It is more than believing and knowing. We must be doers of the word and not hearers only. It is more than lip service; it is not simply confessing with the mouth the divine Sonship of the Savior. It is obedience and conformity and personal righteousness. ‘Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven.’ (Matt. 7:21.)

“To be valiant in the testimony of Jesus is to ‘press forward with a steadfastness in Christ, having a perfect brightness of hope, and a love of God and of all men.’ It is to ‘endure to the end.’ (2 Ne. 31:20.) It is to live our religion, to practice what we preach, to keep the commandments. It is the manifestation of ‘pure religion’ in the lives of men; it is visiting ‘the fatherless and widows in their affliction’ and keeping ourselves ‘unspotted from the world.’ (James 1:27.)

“To be valiant in the testimony of Jesus is to bridle our passions, control our appetites, and rise above carnal and evil things. It is to overcome the world as did he who is our prototype and who himself was the most valiant of all our Father’s children. It is to be morally clean, to pay our tithes and offerings, to honor the Sabbath day, to pray with full purpose of heart, to lay our all upon the altar if called upon to do so.

“To be valiant in the testimony of Jesus is to take the Lord’s side on every issue. It is to vote as he would vote. It is to think what he thinks, to believe what he believes, to say what he would say and do what he would do in the same situation. It is to have the mind of Christ and be one with him as he is one with his Father.” (In Conference Report, Oct. 1974, pp. 45–46; or Ensign, Nov. 1974, pp. 33–35.)

D&C 76:81–85. Those Who Inherit the Telestial Glory Will Pass through Hell

Elder Bruce R. McConkie explained:

“That part of the spirit world inhabited by wicked spirits who are awaiting the eventual day of their resurrection is called hell. Between their death and resurrection, these souls of the wicked are cast out into outer darkness, into the gloomy depression of sheol, into the hades of waiting wicked spirits, into hell. There they suffer the torments of the damned; there they welter in the vengeance of eternal fire; there is found weeping and wailing and gnashing of teeth; there the fiery indignation of the wrath of God is poured out upon the wicked. (Alma 40:11–14; D. & C. 76:103–106.)

“Hell will have an end. Viewing future events, John saw that ‘death and hell delivered up the dead which were in them: and they were judged every man according to their works.’ (Rev. 20:13.) Jacob taught that this escape from death and hell meant the bringing of the body out of the grave and the spirit out of hell. ‘And this death of which I have spoken, which is the spiritual death,’ he said, ‘shall deliver up its dead; which spiritual death is hell; wherefore, death and hell must deliver up their dead, and hell must deliver up its captive spirits, and the grave must deliver up its captive bodies, and the bodies and the spirits of men will be restored one to the other.’ (2 Ne. 9:10–12.) It was in keeping with this principle for David to receive the promise: ‘Thou wilt not leave my soul in hell.’ (Psalms 16:10; Acts 2:27.)

“After their resurrection, the great majority of those who have suffered in hell will pass into the telestial kingdom; the balance, cursed as sons of perdition, will be consigned to partake of endless wo with the devil and his angels. . . .

“Who will go to hell? This query is abundantly answered in the scriptures. Since those going to a telestial kingdom travel to their destination through the depths of hell and as a result of obedience to telestial law, it follows that all those who live a telestial law will go to hell.” (Mormon Doctrine, pp. 349–50.)

D&C 76:89–106. Why Will Those Who Inherit the Telestial Kingdom Receive a Glory That “Surpasses All Understanding”?

All who receive the telestial kingdom will have paid a price for this glory. The fact that after they pay this price they inherit a telestial glory is evidence of the Father’s love and mercy. Elder John A. Widtsoe wrote:

“The [Doctrine and Covenants] explains clearly that the lowest glory to which man is assigned is so glorious as to be beyond the understanding of man. It is a doctrine fundamental in Mormonism that the meanest sinner, in the final judgment, will receive a glory which is beyond human understanding, which is so great that we are unable to describe it adequately. Those who do well will receive an even more glorious place. Those who dwell in the lower may look wistfully to the higher as we do here. The hell on the other side will be felt in some such way.

“The Gospel is a gospel of tremendous love. Love is at the bottom of it. The meanest child is loved so dearly that his reward will be beyond the understanding of mortal man.” (Message of the Doctrine and Covenants, p. 167.)

Only the sons of perdition, who deny the truth and openly defy God (see D&C 76:31), will be denied a kingdom of glory (see Notes and Commentary on D&C 76:31–49).

D&C 76:107. “I Have Overcome and Have Trodden the Wine-Press Alone”

Notes and Commentary for Doctrine and Covenants 133:50 explains the meaning of treading the wine press.

D&C 76:111. “Every Man Shall Receive According to His Own Works”

“We are not preaching the gospel with the idea of trying to save people in the terrestrial world. Ours is the salvation of exaltation. What we are trying to do with the gospel of Jesus Christ is to bring people back again, through the power of the priesthood and the ordinances of the Church, as sons and daughters of God, receiving a fulness of the Father’s kingdom. That is our endeavor.” (Smith, Doctrines of Salvation, 2:190–91.)

D&C 76:116. They Are Only to Be Seen and Understood by the Power of the Holy Spirit

The Prophet Joseph Smith wrote: “Could we read and comprehend all that has been written from the days of Adam, on the relation of man to God and angels in a future state, we should know very little about it. Reading the experience of others, or the revelation given to them, can never give us a comprehensive view of our condition and true relation to God. Knowledge of these things can only be obtained by experience through the ordinances of God set forth for that purpose. Could you gaze into heaven five minutes, you would know more than you would by reading all that ever was written on the subject.” (History of the Church, 6:50.)

The fulness of temple blessings is reserved for those who overcome all things.

Section 138

Vision of the Redemption of the Dead

Historical Background

President Joseph F. Smith was ill during the last six months of his life and spent much of his time confined to his room. His son, Elder Joseph Fielding Smith, spent many days with him taking dictation, tending to chores for him, and taking him for rides (see Smith and Stewart, Life of Joseph Fielding Smith, p. 200). At the October conference of 1918, six weeks before his death, President Smith said:

“As most of you, I suppose, are aware, I have been undergoing a siege of very serious illness for the last five months. It would be impossible for me, on this occasion, to occupy sufficient time to express the desires of my heart and my feelings, as I would desire to express them to you, but I felt that it was my duty, if possible, to be present. . . .

“. . . Although somewhat weakened in body, my mind is clear with reference to my duty, and with reference to the duties and responsibilities that rest upon the Latter-day Saints; and I am ever anxious for the progress of the work of the Lord, for the prosperity of the people of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints throughout the world. . . .

“I will not, I dare not, attempt to enter upon many things that are resting upon my mind this morning, and I shall postpone until some future time, the Lord being willing, my attempt to tell you some of the things that are in my mind, and that dwell in my heart. I have not lived alone these five months. I have dwelt in the spirit of prayer, of supplication, of faith and of determination; and I have had my communication with the Spirit of the Lord continuously.” (In Conference Report, Oct. 1918, p. 2.)

Two weeks after the general conference Elder Joseph Fielding Smith wrote down the vision as his father dictated it to him (see Smith and Stewart, Life of Joseph Fielding Smith, p. 201). After it was endorsed by the counselors in the First Presidency and by the Quorum of the Twelve, it was published in the Improvement Era (Dec. 1918, pp. 166–70).

During April conference of 1976 it was accepted as scripture and approved for publication in the Pearl of Great Price. In June 1979 the First Presidency announced that it would become section 138 of the Doctrine and Covenants. (See Historical Background for D&C 137.)

President Joseph F. Smith received the vision of the redemption of the dead.

Notes and Commentary

D&C 138:1–11. Pondering the Scriptures: Frequently a Prerequisite to Revelation

The prophet Nephi was pondering the inspired teachings of his father Lehi when he received the revelation recorded in 1 Nephi 11–14. Joseph Smith and Sidney Rigdon were pondering a passage from the Gospel of John when they received the vision recorded in Doctrine and Covenants 76 (see D&C 76:15–19). In his counsel to Book of Mormon readers, Moroni taught that each individual could obtain personal revelation of its truthfulness by reading it, remembering God’s mercy to His children, pondering these things in their hearts, and then asking the Lord for a personal witness (see Moroni 10:3–5).

Revelations come to those who are prepared spiritually and mentally. Elder Harold B. Lee said:

“A few weeks ago, President McKay related to the Twelve an interesting experience, and I asked him yesterday if I might repeat it to you this morning. He said it is a great thing to be responsive to the whisperings of the Spirit, and we know that when these whisperings come it is a gift and our privilege to have them. They come when we are relaxed and not under pressure of appointments. (I want you to mark that.) The President then took occasion to relate an experience in the life of Bishop John Wells, former member of the Presiding Bishopric. A son of Bishop Wells was killed in Emigration Canyon on a railroad track. Brother John Wells was a great detail man and prepared many of the reports we are following up now. His boy was run over by a freight train. Sister Wells was inconsolable. She mourned during the three days prior to the funeral, received no comfort at the funeral, and was in a rather serious state of mind. One day soon after the funeral services while she was lying on her bed relaxed, still mourning, she says that her son appeared to her and said, ‘Mother, do not mourn, do not cry. I am all right.’ He told her that she did not understand how the accident happened and explained that he had given the signal to the engineer to move on, and then made the usual effort to catch the railing on the freight train; but as he attempted to do so his foot caught on a root and he failed to catch the hand rail, and his body fell under the train. It was clearly an accident. Now listen! He said that as soon as he realized that he was in another environment he tried to see his father, but he couldn’t reach him. His father was so busy with the duties in his office he could not respond to his call. Therefore, he had come to his mother. He said to her, ‘You tell father that all is well with me, and I want you not to mourn any more.

“Then the President made the statement that the point he had in mind was that when we are relaxed in a private room we are more susceptible to those things; and that so far as he was concerned, his best thoughts come after he gets up in the morning and is relaxed and thinking about the duties of the day; that impressions come more clearly, as if it were to hear a voice. Those impressions are right. If we are worried about something and upset in our feelings, the inspiration does not come. If we so live that our minds are free from worry and our conscience is clear and our feelings are right toward one another, the operation of the spirit of the Lord upon our spirit is as real as when we pick up the telephone.” (Prayer [address to CES religious educators, 6 July 1956], pp. 14–16.)

Studying and pondering the scriptures prepares one’s mind and heart to receive the things of the Spirit. Under those conditions one can be taught from on high.

D&C 138:7–10. The Writings of Peter

See the changes Joseph Smith made to 1 Peter 3:18–20 and 1 Peter 4:6 in the Joseph Smith Translation of the Bible [JST, 1 Peter 3:20a; JST, 1 Peter 4:6].

D&C 138:11. What Did President Smith Mean When He Said, “The Eyes of My Understanding Were Opened”?

See Notes and Commentary for Doctrine and Covenants 137:1.

D&C 138:12–17. Will Many People Be Saved in the Celestial Kingdom?

In his vision President Smith saw “an innumerable company” (D&C 138:12) of spirits who “had departed the mortal life, firm in the hope of a glorious resurrection” (v. 14). These were celestial heirs who had lived on the earth from the time of Adam until Christ came. Great multitudes of people born after that time will qualify for the celestial glory through their faithfulness in this life or in the spirit world. In addition there will be the millions of children who died before they reached the age of accountability. (See Notes and Commentary for D&C 137:10.)

President Spencer W. Kimball said in a general priesthood meeting:

“Brethren, 225,000 of you are here tonight. I suppose 225,000 of you may become gods. There seems to be plenty of space out there in the universe. And the Lord has proved that he knows how to do it. I think he could make, or probably have us help make, worlds for all of us, for every one of us 225,000.

“Just think of the possibilities, the potential. Every little boy that has just been born becomes an heir to this glorious, glorious program. When he is grown, he meets a lovely woman; they are married in the holy temple. They live all the commandments of the Lord. They keep themselves clean. And then they become sons of God, and they go forward with their great program—they go beyond the angels, beyond the angels and the gods that are waiting there. They go to their exaltation.” (In Conference Report, Oct. 1975, p. 120; or Ensign, Nov. 1975, p. 80; see also Alma 13:10–12.)

D&C 138:14–17. Can a Person Know Before He Dies That He Will Be Exalted?

Elder Bruce R. McConkie said:

“All the faithful Saints, all of those who have endured to the end, depart this life with the absolute guarantee of eternal life.

“There is no equivocation, no doubt, no uncertainty in our minds. Those who have been true and faithful in this life will not fall by the wayside in the life to come. If they keep their covenants here and now and depart this life firm and true in the testimony of our blessed Lord, they shall come forth with an inheritance of eternal life.

“We do not mean to say that those who die in the Lord, and who are true and faithful in this life, must be perfect in all things when they go into the next sphere of existence. There was only one perfect man—the Lord Jesus whose Father was God.

“There have been many righteous souls who have attained relative degrees of perfection, and there have been great hosts of faithful people who have kept the faith, and lived the law, and departed this life with the full assurance of an eventual inheritance of eternal life.

“There are so many things they will do and must do, even beyond the grave, to merit the fulness of the Father’s kingdom in that final glorious day when the great King shall say unto them ‘Come, ye blessed of my Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world.’ (Matt. 25:34.)

“But what we are saying is that when the saints of God chart a course of righteousness, when they gain sure testimonies of the truth and divinity of the Lord’s work, when they keep the commandments, when they overcome the world, when they put first in their lives the things of God’s kingdom: when they do all these things, and then depart this life—though they have not yet become perfect—they shall nonetheless gain eternal life in our Father’s kingdom; and eventually they shall be perfect as God their Father and Christ His Son are perfect.” (In Conference Report, Oct. 1976, pp. 158–59; or Ensign, Nov. 1976, p. 107; see also Notes and Commentary on D&C 76:53; 131:5; 132:7.)

D&C 138:15–19, 50. How Is the Absence of the Spirit from the Body a Bondage? Why Is Redemption from Death Necessary for a Fulness of Joy?

The Prophet Joseph Smith taught:

“We came to this earth that we might have a body and present it pure before God in the celestial kingdom. The great principle of happiness consists of having a body. The devil has no body, and herein is his punishment. He is pleased when he can obtain the tabernacle of man, and when cast out by the Savior he asked to go into the herd of swine, showing that he would prefer a swine’s body to having none.

“All beings who have bodies have power over those who have not.” (Teachings, p. 181.)

Since disembodied spirits cannot obtain a fulness of joy until they are resurrected (see D&C 93:33–34), they consider their sojourn in the world of spirits a bondage. Elder Bruce R. McConkie said that “obtaining exaltation consists in gaining a fulness of joy; it is to enter into the joy of the Lord. (D. & C. 51:19.) . . . A fulness of joy is found only among resurrected, exalted beings. (D. & C. 93:33.)” (Mormon Doctrine, p. 397.)

Those who obtain their exaltation will have the privilege of having spirit children in the eternities (see D&C 131:1–4; 132:19–20). To receive this blessing, they must have resurrected, glorified bodies. Elder Melvin J. Ballard taught:

“Those who are denied endless increase cannot be what God is because that, in connection with other things, makes Him God. . . .

“. . . through the righteousness and faithfulness of men and women who keep the commandments of God they will come forth with celestial bodies, fitted and prepared to enter into their great, high and eternal glory in the celestial kingdom of God; and unto them, through their preparation, there will come spirit children. . . .

“. . . When the power of endless increase shall come to us, and our offspring grow and multiply through ages that shall come, they will be in due time, as we have been, provided with an earth like this wherein they too may obtain earthly bodies and pass through all the experiences through which we have passed. . . . We shall stand in our relationship to them as God our Eternal Father does to us, and thereby this is the most glorious and wonderful privilege that ever will come to any of the sons and daughters of God.” (Melvin J. Ballard, pp. 211–12.)

D&C 138:27–37, 57. Missionary Work in the Spirit World

President Wilford Woodruff said that “every Apostle, every Seventy, every Elder, etc., who has died in the faith, as soon as he passes to the other side of the veil, enters into the work of the ministry, and there is a thousand times more to preach to there than there is here. . . . They have work on the other side of the veil; and they want men, and they call them.” (In Journal of Discourses, 22:334.)

President Joseph F. Smith said that those “who have passed away in this dispensation . . . are preaching that same gospel that they lived and preached here, to those who are in darkness in the spirit world and who had not had the privilege before they went. The gospel must be preached to them. We are not perfect without them—they cannot be perfect without us.

“Now, among all these millions of spirits that have lived on the earth and have passed away, from generation to generation, since the beginning of the world, without knowledge of the gospel—among them you may count that at least one-half are women. Who is going to preach the gospel to the women? Who is going to carry the testimony of Jesus Christ to the hearts of the women who have passed away without a knowledge of the gospel? Well, to my mind it is a simple thing. These good sisters who have been set apart, ordained to the work, called to it, authorized by the authority of the Holy Priesthood to minister for their sex, in the House of God for the living and for the dead, will be fully authorized and empowered to preach the gospel and minister to the women while the Elders and Prophets are preaching it to the men. . . . Those who are authorized to preach the gospel here and are appointed here to do that work will not be idle after they have passed away, but will continue to exercise the rights that they obtain here under the Priesthood of the Son of God to minister for the salvation of those who have died without a knowledge of the truth.” (Gospel Doctrine, pp. 460–61.)

D&C 138:31. “Messengers Went Forth to Declare the Acceptable Day of the Lord and Proclaim Liberty to the Captives”

This phrase comes from Isaiah 61:2 and was used by Jesus when He introduced Himself as the Messiah in His hometown of Nazareth. Elder Bruce R. McConkie indicated that the phrase had reference to “the proper, designated, approved, appointed, or accepted time, in the divine order of things, for a particular work to be done,” and that Isaiah’s prophecy that Christ would do this work, “to proclaim liberty to the captives, and the opening of the prison to them that are bound” (Isaiah 61:1), referred “not to the freeing of mortal men from any imprisonment, but to the ministry of freedom and pardon which was prepared for the departed dead. Jesus’ mission was not alone to those then living; he was also to carry the gospel, the glad tidings of salvation, to the spirits in prison. Those who had been ‘gathered together, as prisoners are gathered in the pit,’ those who had been ‘shut up in the prison,’ were, ‘after many days,’ to be visited by him who held the key for their release. (Isa. 24:22.)” (Doctrinal New Testament Commentary, 1:161.)

D&C 138:32. What Is the Status of Those Who Receive the Gospel in the Spirit World?

Notes and Commentary on Doctrine and Covenants 137:7–9 discusses the fate of those who die without a knowledge of the truth. Notes and Commentary on Doctrine and Covenants 76:72–74 discusses the fate of those who die having rejected the prophets.

D&C 138:33–34, 58–59. Vicarious Ordinance Work Alone Does Not Guarantee Salvation for Those in the Spirit World

The principles of faith and repentance are taught in the spirit world. Departed spirits are also taught “all other principles of the gospel” that they need “in order to qualify themselves” to be judged after the manner of men in the flesh (D&C 138:34; italics added). They will be judged based on how they respond to God’s word. If they did not have the opportunity to receive the gospel in mortality but they repent and conform to God’s laws when taught them in the spirit world, they will benefit from the vicarious ordinances performed by mortals in their behalf. Otherwise, vicarious ordinances will not help them.

President Joseph Fielding Smith said: “If a person is in every way worthy of the blessings and was denied them while living, then any time after death the ordinances may be performed. If the person had every opportunity to receive these blessings in person and refused, or through procrastination and lack of faith did not receive them, then he is not entitled to them, and it is doubtful if the work for him will be valid if done within one week or 1,000 years. The Lord has declared that it is he who endures to the end that shall be saved, and he who rejects or neglects these blessings until death, when he has had the opportunity, is not worthy of them.” (Doctrines of Salvation, 2:179; see also Notes and Commentary on D&C 76:72–74.)

The Nauvoo Temple was the first in this dispensation in which ordinances were performed for the dead.

D&C 138:47. What Is Meant by the Phrase “Plant in the Hearts of the Children the Promises Made to Their Fathers”?

President Joseph Fielding Smith identified the “promises made to the fathers” as “the promise of the Lord made through Enoch, Isaiah, and the prophets, to the nations of the earth, that the time should come when the dead should be redeemed. And the turning of the hearts of the children is fulfilled in the performing of the vicarious temple work and in the preparation of their genealogies.” (Doctrines of Salvation, 2:154.)

In the premortal life promises were made regarding the salvation of those who would not have the gospel in mortality. President Kimball said that in the premortal existence “you and I made a solemn commitment, made an oath that we would do all things whatsoever the Lord our God shall command us” (Church News, 18 Jan. 1975, p. 3). The Saints have been commanded to seek after their dead and perform ordinances for them (see Smith, Teachings, p. 356; D&C 128:15).

D&C 138:48. Why Will the Earth Be “Smitten with a Curse and Utterly Wasted” at Christ’s Coming if the Redemption of the Dead Is Not Accomplished?

See Notes and Commentary for Doctrine and Covenants 128:14–18.

D&C 138:51. The Lord Gave the Righteous Saints Power to Come Forth in the Resurrection

President Spencer W. Kimball commented:

“Brigham Young, the second president of this dispensation, said: ‘It is supposed by this people that we have all the ordinances in our possession for life and salvation, and exaltation, and that we are administering in those ordinances. This is not the case. We are in possession of all the ordinances that can be administered in the flesh; but there are other ordinances and administrations that must be administered beyond this world. I know you would like to ask what they are. I will mention one. We have not, neither can we receive here, the ordinance and keys of resurrection.’ (Journal of Discourses, 15:137.)

“Do we have the keys of resurrection? Could you return to the earth as ones who would never again die—[could] your own parents, your grandparents, your ancestors? I buried my mother when I was eleven, my father when I was in my early twenties. I have missed my parents much. If I had the power of resurrection as did the Savior of the world, I would have been tempted to try to have kept them longer. I have been called to speak in numerous funerals for people whom I have known, people whom I have loved, and people whom I have served and helped in a limited way. We do not know of anyone who can resurrect the dead as did Jesus Christ when he came back to mortality.

“‘[The keys] will be given to those who have passed off this stage of action and have received their bodies again. . . . They will be ordained, by those who hold the keys of the resurrection, to go forth and resurrect the Saints, just as we receive the ordinance of baptism then receive the keys of authority to baptize others for the remission of their sins. This is one of the ordinances we can not receive here [on the earth], and there are many more.’ (JD, 15:137.)” (In Conference Report, Apr. 1977, p. 69; or Ensign, May 1977, p. 49.)

President Brigham Young also taught that “some person holding the keys of the resurrection, having previously passed through that ordeal, will be delegated to resurrect our bodies” (Journal of Discourses, 9:139).

D&C 138:52. “And Continue Thenceforth Their Labor”

The Lord said, “This is my work and my glory—to bring to pass the immortality and eternal life of man” (Moses 1:39). Those who are crowned with immortality and eternal life will continue their labor in the eternal worlds. Man’s goal is to become as God is, and the Lord has said “there is no end to my works” (Moses 1:38). To enter into the “rest” of the Lord means to enter into a fulness of God’s glory (see D&C 84:24) where one will rest from the cares and sorrows of mortality. It does not mean that one will cease to work.

D&C 138:53–56. The Leaders of the Lord’s Latter-day Kingdom Were Held in Reserve to Come Forth in the Final Dispensation

The prophet Abraham was told that he was one of the noble and great spirits who was ordained in the premortal life to be a leader in God’s kingdom while in mortality (see Abraham 3:23). President Joseph F. Smith was shown that many choice servants of this dispensation were also among those noble spirits. The Lord held them in the spirit world where they were taught and prepared to come forth and lay the foundations of His latter-day work. The Prophet Joseph Smith once said that “every man who has a calling to minister to the inhabitants of the world was ordained to that very purpose in the Grand Council of heaven before this world was” (Teachings

<div class='quotemain'>

Ok everyone has a change to go too the CELESTIAL KINGDOM that means people who are in diffrent faiths people who dont belive in anything!! and the list goes on and on...... they all get to hear the gospel i have given you Doctrine of this!!

i have also given you Doctrine of people who have already heard the gospel and Etc ....

D&C 76:54. What Is the Church of the Firstborn?

“Those who gain exaltation in the celestial kingdom are those who are members of the Church of the Firstborn; in other words, those who keep all the commandments of the Lord. . . .

“The Lord has made it possible for us to become members of the Church of the Firstborn, by receiving the blessings of the house of the Lord and overcoming all things. Thus we become heirs, ‘priests, and kings, who have received of his fulness, and of his glory,’ who shall ‘dwell in the presence of God and his Christ forever and ever,’ with full exaltation.” (Smith, Doctrines of Salvation, 2:41–42.)

Certain apostates have taken this sacred name upon themselves, blasphemously claiming to have met all of these requirements, when they are in fact in a state of wickedness and rebellion.

Joseph Smith and Sidney Rigdon’s vision of the three degrees of glory

D&C 76:72–74. Do Those Who Receive the Gospel in the Spirit World Inherit the Terrestrial Kingdom?

Those who hear the gospel in mortality and do not accept it but lead otherwise honorable lives will inherit the terrestrial kingdom. Those who do not have the opportunity to hear the gospel in mortality but accept it in the spirit world can inherit the celestial kingdom.

Joseph Smith learned through another revelation that “all who have died without a knowledge of this gospel, who would have received it if they had been permitted to tarry, shall be heirs of the celestial kingdom of God” (D&C 137:7). Those “who received not the testimony of Jesus in the flesh” (D&C 76:74) are those who heard the gospel in mortality and rejected it. If they “afterwards received it” (v. 74), that is, in the spirit world, they will go to the terrestrial kingdom.

Elder Bruce R. McConkie taught the foolishness of believing that a person can reject the gospel in this life, accept it in the next, and still inherit celestial glory. “This life is the time and day of our probation. After this day of life, which is given us to prepare for eternity, then cometh the night of darkness wherein there can be no labor performed.

“For those who do not have an opportunity to believe and obey the holy word in this life, the first chance to gain salvation will come in the spirit world. If those who hear the word for the first time in the realms ahead are the kind of people who would have accepted the gospel here, had the opportunity been afforded them, they will accept it there. . . .

“. . . Those who reject the gospel in this life and then receive it in the spirit world go not to the celestial, but to the terrestrial kingdom.” (“The Seven Deadly Heresies,” in Speeches of the Year, 1980 [Provo: Brigham Young University Press, 1981], pp. 77–78.)

Elder Theodore M. Burton said: “There are many in this world who lived and died without ever having an opportunity to hear the gospel of Jesus Christ. We know that there are many men and women who die unbaptized, because some teacher, missionary, or leader who should have taught them was so poorly trained, so lacking in faith, and so unprepared to bear personal witness of Jesus Christ that the hearer never understood the message as he should have done. Should such people be damned forever for lack of proper instruction, because of an accident of birth, or because of the inadequacies of others? I say: ‘No!’ God is a God of justice and love and mercy. Every man is entitled to a just chance to know and accept Jesus Christ or to reject him if he feels the price of acceptance is too high” (in Conference Report, Apr. 1964, 72).

D&C 76:79. What Does It Mean to Be Valiant in the Testimony of the Savior?

Elder Bruce R. McConkie asked:

“What does it mean to be valiant in the testimony of Jesus?

“It is to be courageous and bold; to use all our strength, energy, and ability in the warfare with the world; to fight the good fight of faith. . . . The great cornerstone of valiance in the cause of righteousness is obedience to the whole law of the whole gospel.

“To be valiant in the testimony of Jesus is to ‘come unto Christ, and be perfected in him’; it is to deny ourselves ‘of all ungodliness,’ and ‘love God’ with all our ‘might, mind and strength.’ (Moro. 10:32.)

“To be valiant in the testimony of Jesus is to believe in Christ and his gospel with unshakable conviction. It is to know of the verity and divinity of the Lord’s work on earth.

“But this is not all. It is more than believing and knowing. We must be doers of the word and not hearers only. It is more than lip service; it is not simply confessing with the mouth the divine Sonship of the Savior. It is obedience and conformity and personal righteousness. ‘Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven.’ (Matt. 7:21.)

“To be valiant in the testimony of Jesus is to ‘press forward with a steadfastness in Christ, having a perfect brightness of hope, and a love of God and of all men.’ It is to ‘endure to the end.’ (2 Ne. 31:20.) It is to live our religion, to practice what we preach, to keep the commandments. It is the manifestation of ‘pure religion’ in the lives of men; it is visiting ‘the fatherless and widows in their affliction’ and keeping ourselves ‘unspotted from the world.’ (James 1:27.)

“To be valiant in the testimony of Jesus is to bridle our passions, control our appetites, and rise above carnal and evil things. It is to overcome the world as did he who is our prototype and who himself was the most valiant of all our Father’s children. It is to be morally clean, to pay our tithes and offerings, to honor the Sabbath day, to pray with full purpose of heart, to lay our all upon the altar if called upon to do so.

“To be valiant in the testimony of Jesus is to take the Lord’s side on every issue. It is to vote as he would vote. It is to think what he thinks, to believe what he believes, to say what he would say and do what he would do in the same situation. It is to have the mind of Christ and be one with him as he is one with his Father.” (In Conference Report, Oct. 1974, pp. 45–46; or Ensign, Nov. 1974, pp. 33–35.)

D&C 76:81–85. Those Who Inherit the Telestial Glory Will Pass through Hell

Elder Bruce R. McConkie explained:

“That part of the spirit world inhabited by wicked spirits who are awaiting the eventual day of their resurrection is called hell. Between their death and resurrection, these souls of the wicked are cast out into outer darkness, into the gloomy depression of sheol, into the hades of waiting wicked spirits, into hell. There they suffer the torments of the damned; there they welter in the vengeance of eternal fire; there is found weeping and wailing and gnashing of teeth; there the fiery indignation of the wrath of God is poured out upon the wicked. (Alma 40:11–14; D. & C. 76:103–106.)

“Hell will have an end. Viewing future events, John saw that ‘death and hell delivered up the dead which were in them: and they were judged every man according to their works.’ (Rev. 20:13.) Jacob taught that this escape from death and hell meant the bringing of the body out of the grave and the spirit out of hell. ‘And this death of which I have spoken, which is the spiritual death,’ he said, ‘shall deliver up its dead; which spiritual death is hell; wherefore, death and hell must deliver up their dead, and hell must deliver up its captive spirits, and the grave must deliver up its captive bodies, and the bodies and the spirits of men will be restored one to the other.’ (2 Ne. 9:10–12.) It was in keeping with this principle for David to receive the promise: ‘Thou wilt not leave my soul in hell.’ (Psalms 16:10; Acts 2:27.)

“After their resurrection, the great majority of those who have suffered in hell will pass into the telestial kingdom; the balance, cursed as sons of perdition, will be consigned to partake of endless wo with the devil and his angels. . . .

“Who will go to hell? This query is abundantly answered in the scriptures. Since those going to a telestial kingdom travel to their destination through the depths of hell and as a result of obedience to telestial law, it follows that all those who live a telestial law will go to hell.” (Mormon Doctrine, pp. 349–50.)

D&C 76:89–106. Why Will Those Who Inherit the Telestial Kingdom Receive a Glory That “Surpasses All Understanding”?

All who receive the telestial kingdom will have paid a price for this glory. The fact that after they pay this price they inherit a telestial glory is evidence of the Father’s love and mercy. Elder John A. Widtsoe wrote:

“The [Doctrine and Covenants] explains clearly that the lowest glory to which man is assigned is so glorious as to be beyond the understanding of man. It is a doctrine fundamental in Mormonism that the meanest sinner, in the final judgment, will receive a glory which is beyond human understanding, which is so great that we are unable to describe it adequately. Those who do well will receive an even more glorious place. Those who dwell in the lower may look wistfully to the higher as we do here. The hell on the other side will be felt in some such way.

“The Gospel is a gospel of tremendous love. Love is at the bottom of it. The meanest child is loved so dearly that his reward will be beyond the understanding of mortal man.” (Message of the Doctrine and Covenants, p. 167.)

Only the sons of perdition, who deny the truth and openly defy God (see D&C 76:31), will be denied a kingdom of glory (see Notes and Commentary on D&C 76:31–49).

D&C 76:107. “I Have Overcome and Have Trodden the Wine-Press Alone”

Notes and Commentary for Doctrine and Covenants 133:50 explains the meaning of treading the wine press.

D&C 76:111. “Every Man Shall Receive According to His Own Works”

“We are not preaching the gospel with the idea of trying to save people in the terrestrial world. Ours is the salvation of exaltation. What we are trying to do with the gospel of Jesus Christ is to bring people back again, through the power of the priesthood and the ordinances of the Church, as sons and daughters of God, receiving a fulness of the Father’s kingdom. That is our endeavor.” (Smith, Doctrines of Salvation, 2:190–91.)

D&C 76:116. They Are Only to Be Seen and Understood by the Power of the Holy Spirit

The Prophet Joseph Smith wrote: “Could we read and comprehend all that has been written from the days of Adam, on the relation of man to God and angels in a future state, we should know very little about it. Reading the experience of others, or the revelation given to them, can never give us a comprehensive view of our condition and true relation to God. Knowledge of these things can only be obtained by experience through the ordinances of God set forth for that purpose. Could you gaze into heaven five minutes, you would know more than you would by reading all that ever was written on the subject.” (History of the Church, 6:50.)

The fulness of temple blessings is reserved for those who overcome all things.

Section 138

Vision of the Redemption of the Dead

Historical Background

President Joseph F. Smith was ill during the last six months of his life and spent much of his time confined to his room. His son, Elder Joseph Fielding Smith, spent many days with him taking dictation, tending to chores for him, and taking him for rides (see Smith and Stewart, Life of Joseph Fielding Smith, p. 200). At the October conference of 1918, six weeks before his death, President Smith said:

“As most of you, I suppose, are aware, I have been undergoing a siege of very serious illness for the last five months. It would be impossible for me, on this occasion, to occupy sufficient time to express the desires of my heart and my feelings, as I would desire to express them to you, but I felt that it was my duty, if possible, to be present. . . .

“. . . Although somewhat weakened in body, my mind is clear with reference to my duty, and with reference to the duties and responsibilities that rest upon the Latter-day Saints; and I am ever anxious for the progress of the work of the Lord, for the prosperity of the people of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints throughout the world. . . .

“I will not, I dare not, attempt to enter upon many things that are resting upon my mind this morning, and I shall postpone until some future time, the Lord being willing, my attempt to tell you some of the things that are in my mind, and that dwell in my heart. I have not lived alone these five months. I have dwelt in the spirit of prayer, of supplication, of faith and of determination; and I have had my communication with the Spirit of the Lord continuously.” (In Conference Report, Oct. 1918, p. 2.)

Two weeks after the general conference Elder Joseph Fielding Smith wrote down the vision as his father dictated it to him (see Smith and Stewart, Life of Joseph Fielding Smith, p. 201). After it was endorsed by the counselors in the First Presidency and by the Quorum of the Twelve, it was published in the Improvement Era (Dec. 1918, pp. 166–70).

During April conference of 1976 it was accepted as scripture and approved for publication in the Pearl of Great Price. In June 1979 the First Presidency announced that it would become section 138 of the Doctrine and Covenants. (See Historical Background for D&C 137.)

President Joseph F. Smith received the vision of the redemption of the dead.

Notes and Commentary

D&C 138:1–11. Pondering the Scriptures: Frequently a Prerequisite to Revelation

The prophet Nephi was pondering the inspired teachings of his father Lehi when he received the revelation recorded in 1 Nephi 11–14. Joseph Smith and Sidney Rigdon were pondering a passage from the Gospel of John when they received the vision recorded in Doctrine and Covenants 76 (see D&C 76:15–19). In his counsel to Book of Mormon readers, Moroni taught that each individual could obtain personal revelation of its truthfulness by reading it, remembering God’s mercy to His children, pondering these things in their hearts, and then asking the Lord for a personal witness (see Moroni 10:3–5).

Revelations come to those who are prepared spiritually and mentally. Elder Harold B. Lee said:

“A few weeks ago, President McKay related to the Twelve an interesting experience, and I asked him yesterday if I might repeat it to you this morning. He said it is a great thing to be responsive to the whisperings of the Spirit, and we know that when these whisperings come it is a gift and our privilege to have them. They come when we are relaxed and not under pressure of appointments. (I want you to mark that.) The President then took occasion to relate an experience in the life of Bishop John Wells, former member of the Presiding Bishopric. A son of Bishop Wells was killed in Emigration Canyon on a railroad track. Brother John Wells was a great detail man and prepared many of the reports we are following up now. His boy was run over by a freight train. Sister Wells was inconsolable. She mourned during the three days prior to the funeral, received no comfort at the funeral, and was in a rather serious state of mind. One day soon after the funeral services while she was lying on her bed relaxed, still mourning, she says that her son appeared to her and said, ‘Mother, do not mourn, do not cry. I am all right.’ He told her that she did not understand how the accident happened and explained that he had given the signal to the engineer to move on, and then made the usual effort to catch the railing on the freight train; but as he attempted to do so his foot caught on a root and he failed to catch the hand rail, and his body fell under the train. It was clearly an accident. Now listen! He said that as soon as he realized that he was in another environment he tried to see his father, but he couldn’t reach him. His father was so busy with the duties in his office he could not respond to his call. Therefore, he had come to his mother. He said to her, ‘You tell father that all is well with me, and I want you not to mourn any more.

“Then the President made the statement that the point he had in mind was that when we are relaxed in a private room we are more susceptible to those things; and that so far as he was concerned, his best thoughts come after he gets up in the morning and is relaxed and thinking about the duties of the day; that impressions come more clearly, as if it were to hear a voice. Those impressions are right. If we are worried about something and upset in our feelings, the inspiration does not come. If we so live that our minds are free from worry and our conscience is clear and our feelings are right toward one another, the operation of the spirit of the Lord upon our spirit is as real as when we pick up the telephone.” (Prayer [address to CES religious educators, 6 July 1956], pp. 14–16.)

Studying and pondering the scriptures prepares one’s mind and heart to receive the things of the Spirit. Under those conditions one can be taught from on high.

D&C 138:7–10. The Writings of Peter

See the changes Joseph Smith made to 1 Peter 3:18–20 and 1 Peter 4:6 in the Joseph Smith Translation of the Bible [JST, 1 Peter 3:20a; JST, 1 Peter 4:6].

D&C 138:11. What Did President Smith Mean When He Said, “The Eyes of My Understanding Were Opened”?

See Notes and Commentary for Doctrine and Covenants 137:1.

D&C 138:12–17. Will Many People Be Saved in the Celestial Kingdom?

In his vision President Smith saw “an innumerable company” (D&C 138:12) of spirits who “had departed the mortal life, firm in the hope of a glorious resurrection” (v. 14). These were celestial heirs who had lived on the earth from the time of Adam until Christ came. Great multitudes of people born after that time will qualify for the celestial glory through their faithfulness in this life or in the spirit world. In addition there will be the millions of children who died before they reached the age of accountability. (See Notes and Commentary for D&C 137:10.)

President Spencer W. Kimball said in a general priesthood meeting:

“Brethren, 225,000 of you are here tonight. I suppose 225,000 of you may become gods. There seems to be plenty of space out there in the universe. And the Lord has proved that he knows how to do it. I think he could make, or probably have us help make, worlds for all of us, for every one of us 225,000.

“Just think of the possibilities, the potential. Every little boy that has just been born becomes an heir to this glorious, glorious program. When he is grown, he meets a lovely woman; they are married in the holy temple. They live all the commandments of the Lord. They keep themselves clean. And then they become sons of God, and they go forward with their great program—they go beyond the angels, beyond the angels and the gods that are waiting there. They go to their exaltation.” (In Conference Report, Oct. 1975, p. 120; or Ensign, Nov. 1975, p. 80; see also Alma 13:10–12.)

D&C 138:14–17. Can a Person Know Before He Dies That He Will Be Exalted?

Elder Bruce R. McConkie said:

“All the faithful Saints, all of those who have endured to the end, depart this life with the absolute guarantee of eternal life.

“There is no equivocation, no doubt, no uncertainty in our minds. Those who have been true and faithful in this life will not fall by the wayside in the life to come. If they keep their covenants here and now and depart this life firm and true in the testimony of our blessed Lord, they shall come forth with an inheritance of eternal life.

“We do not mean to say that those who die in the Lord, and who are true and faithful in this life, must be perfect in all things when they go into the next sphere of existence. There was only one perfect man—the Lord Jesus whose Father was God.

“There have been many righteous souls who have attained relative degrees of perfection, and there have been great hosts of faithful people who have kept the faith, and lived the law, and departed this life with the full assurance of an eventual inheritance of eternal life.

“There are so many things they will do and must do, even beyond the grave, to merit the fulness of the Father’s kingdom in that final glorious day when the great King shall say unto them ‘Come, ye blessed of my Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world.’ (Matt. 25:34.)

“But what we are saying is that when the saints of God chart a course of righteousness, when they gain sure testimonies of the truth and divinity of the Lord’s work, when they keep the commandments, when they overcome the world, when they put first in their lives the things of God’s kingdom: when they do all these things, and then depart this life—though they have not yet become perfect—they shall nonetheless gain eternal life in our Father’s kingdom; and eventually they shall be perfect as God their Father and Christ His Son are perfect.” (In Conference Report, Oct. 1976, pp. 158–59; or Ensign, Nov. 1976, p. 107; see also Notes and Commentary on D&C 76:53; 131:5; 132:7.)

D&C 138:15–19, 50. How Is the Absence of the Spirit from the Body a Bondage? Why Is Redemption from Death Necessary for a Fulness of Joy?

The Prophet Joseph Smith taught:

“We came to this earth that we might have a body and present it pure before God in the celestial kingdom. The great principle of happiness consists of having a body. The devil has no body, and herein is his punishment. He is pleased when he can obtain the tabernacle of man, and when cast out by the Savior he asked to go into the herd of swine, showing that he would prefer a swine’s body to having none.

“All beings who have bodies have power over those who have not.” (Teachings, p. 181.)

Since disembodied spirits cannot obtain a fulness of joy until they are resurrected (see D&C 93:33–34), they consider their sojourn in the world of spirits a bondage. Elder Bruce R. McConkie said that “obtaining exaltation consists in gaining a fulness of joy; it is to enter into the joy of the Lord. (D. & C. 51:19.) . . . A fulness of joy is found only among resurrected, exalted beings. (D. & C. 93:33.)” (Mormon Doctrine, p. 397.)

Those who obtain their exaltation will have the privilege of having spirit children in the eternities (see D&C 131:1–4; 132:19–20). To receive this blessing, they must have resurrected, glorified bodies. Elder Melvin J. Ballard taught:

“Those who are denied endless increase cannot be what God is because that, in connection with other things, makes Him God. . . .

“. . . through the righteousness and faithfulness of men and women who keep the commandments of God they will come forth with celestial bodies, fitted and prepared to enter into their great, high and eternal glory in the celestial kingdom of God; and unto them, through their preparation, there will come spirit children. . . .

“. . . When the power of endless increase shall come to us, and our offspring grow and multiply through ages that shall come, they will be in due time, as we have been, provided with an earth like this wherein they too may obtain earthly bodies and pass through all the experiences through which we have passed. . . . We shall stand in our relationship to them as God our Eternal Father does to us, and thereby this is the most glorious and wonderful privilege that ever will come to any of the sons and daughters of God.” (Melvin J. Ballard, pp. 211–12.)

D&C 138:27–37, 57. Missionary Work in the Spirit World

President Wilford Woodruff said that “every Apostle, every Seventy, every Elder, etc., who has died in the faith, as soon as he passes to the other side of the veil, enters into the work of the ministry, and there is a thousand times more to preach to there than there is here. . . . They have work on the other side of the veil; and they want men, and they call them.” (In Journal of Discourses, 22:334.)

President Joseph F. Smith said that those “who have passed away in this dispensation . . . are preaching that same gospel that they lived and preached here, to those who are in darkness in the spirit world and who had not had the privilege before they went. The gospel must be preached to them. We are not perfect without them—they cannot be perfect without us.

“Now, among all these millions of spirits that have lived on the earth and have passed away, from generation to generation, since the beginning of the world, without knowledge of the gospel—among them you may count that at least one-half are women. Who is going to preach the gospel to the women? Who is going to carry the testimony of Jesus Christ to the hearts of the women who have passed away without a knowledge of the gospel? Well, to my mind it is a simple thing. These good sisters who have been set apart, ordained to the work, called to it, authorized by the authority of the Holy Priesthood to minister for their sex, in the House of God for the living and for the dead, will be fully authorized and empowered to preach the gospel and minister to the women while the Elders and Prophets are preaching it to the men. . . . Those who are authorized to preach the gospel here and are appointed here to do that work will not be idle after they have passed away, but will continue to exercise the rights that they obtain here under the Priesthood of the Son of God to minister for the salvation of those who have died without a knowledge of the truth.” (Gospel Doctrine, pp. 460–61.)

D&C 138:31. “Messengers Went Forth to Declare the Acceptable Day of the Lord and Proclaim Liberty to the Captives”

This phrase comes from Isaiah 61:2 and was used by Jesus when He introduced Himself as the Messiah in His hometown of Nazareth. Elder Bruce R. McConkie indicated that the phrase had reference to “the proper, designated, approved, appointed, or accepted time, in the divine order of things, for a particular work to be done,” and that Isaiah’s prophecy that Christ would do this work, “to proclaim liberty to the captives, and the opening of the prison to them that are bound” (Isaiah 61:1), referred “not to the freeing of mortal men from any imprisonment, but to the ministry of freedom and pardon which was prepared for the departed dead. Jesus’ mission was not alone to those then living; he was also to carry the gospel, the glad tidings of salvation, to the spirits in prison. Those who had been ‘gathered together, as prisoners are gathered in the pit,’ those who had been ‘shut up in the prison,’ were, ‘after many days,’ to be visited by him who held the key for their release. (Isa. 24:22.)” (Doctrinal New Testament Commentary, 1:161.)

D&C 138:32. What Is the Status of Those Who Receive the Gospel in the Spirit World?

Notes and Commentary on Doctrine and Covenants 137:7–9 discusses the fate of those who die without a knowledge of the truth. Notes and Commentary on Doctrine and Covenants 76:72–74 discusses the fate of those who die having rejected the prophets.

D&C 138:33–34, 58–59. Vicarious Ordinance Work Alone Does Not Guarantee Salvation for Those in the Spirit World

The principles of faith and repentance are taught in the spirit world. Departed spirits are also taught “all other principles of the gospel” that they need “in order to qualify themselves” to be judged after the manner of men in the flesh (D&C 138:34; italics added). They will be judged based on how they respond to God’s word. If they did not have the opportunity to receive the gospel in mortality but they repent and conform to God’s laws when taught them in the spirit world, they will benefit from the vicarious ordinances performed by mortals in their behalf. Otherwise, vicarious ordinances will not help them.

President Joseph Fielding Smith said: “If a person is in every way worthy of the blessings and was denied them while living, then any time after death the ordinances may be performed

If you are reffering to the ordenance of sealing a person unto eternal life, and mean that only THAT way (while in the flesh) one knows God saved you, you are deeply wrong.

If you read McConkie, he says that such ordenance(done BY the same Lord) occurs when a person has awefully acted according to the commandments(of course not perfectly but AS if). BUT he says, a person who DIES in the faith, that daily feels the approval of God since he accepted Christ ENSURES his salvation("meaning"the Celestial Kingdon). The "ordenance"part, of seeing God and all, is only a token while in the flesh. Let me ilustrate this;

Is like going to Florida, we both were given our tickets(for free throgh Christ ONLY), we keep our tickets from being lost(in which case we cant go to our flight)(this is our part), and when we arrive to the plane, one of us(by Gods election) can go in first class while the other goes in the regular one. We BOTH go o the same FLORIDA(celestial kingdom) but ONE got(by his faithfulness) a more excelent token-first clas- while the other had the same faithfulness to ramain saved but didnt got so perfected as to see God in the flesh.

Hence, i ask you, if only those that are sealed in this life ARE the ones to be saved, what about ALL the good men, spiritual GENERAL Authorities even, that acknowledge that have NOT been sealed up, and die. Would they be saved? Of course!

My father told me that the way to determine if someone understands compound interest is if they pay it or receive it.

There is an old Native American saying that it is a lie to judge anyone (for good or bad) until you have walked in their (shoes) for 3 moons (three months).

Personally I am under the understanding that no one knows about anything until they have tried it. This does not mean that you can't have some ideas that are quite good. Adam tasted of the fruit of knowledge of good and evil and thus fell and became a fallen man.

I believe that if someone says they know Christ there are many levels.

The first level I call the "Sound good" level. This is where someone hears (the seed is planted) so they believe it.

The second level I call the "Good weather" belief. This is where someone that hears of Christ and goes to church or what-ever as long as everything is fine and there are no problems.

The third leves I call the "Trouble but hope" level. This is where someone believes but when the storms of live come they pray and hope trying to get through.

The forth level I call the "Seasoned Believer". This is the person that has faced some problems and is starting to get the idea of believing in times of trouble.

The Fifth Level I call the "Perfect Believer". This is the believer that has entered into covenant to believe and remember Christ. They have experienced the heat of the day and the storms of life and remained faithful to their covenant to believe and keep Christ's commandments (word). They have experienced what Jesus taught may have struggled and slipped some but their heart is in Christ. They continue to experience challenges but have faith that Jesus and the Holy Ghost will support them in what ever comes. They love the commandments and recommend that all come to know of Christ by keeping his commandments.

Personally I seek the fifth level. For those that are satisified with any of the other leves - I have no bad things to say. But I have been there and for me I seek the fifth level. If any wish to join me, you are welcome but if you are intent on distracting me or preventing me from this level of Belief in Christ; I will only say that I am not interested.

The Traveler

If you are reffering to the ordenance of sealing a person unto eternal life, and mean that only THAT way (while in the flesh) one knows God saved you, you are deeply wrong.

If you read McConkie, he says that such ordenance(done BY the same Lord) occurs when a person has awefully acted according to the commandments(of course not perfectly but AS if). BUT he says, a person who DIES in the faith, that daily feels the approval of God since he accepted Christ ENSURES his salvation("meaning"the Celestial Kingdon). The "ordenance"part, of seeing God and all, is only a token while in the flesh. Let me ilustrate this;

Is like going to Florida, we both were given our tickets(for free throgh Christ ONLY), we keep our tickets from being lost(in which case we cant go to our flight)(this is our part), and when we arrive to the plane, one of us(by Gods election) can go in first class while the other goes in the regular one. We BOTH go o the same FLORIDA(celestial kingdom) but ONE got(by his faithfulness) a more excelent token-first clas- while the other had the same faithfulness to ramain saved but didnt got so perfected as to see God in the flesh.

Hence, i ask you, if only those that are sealed in this life ARE the ones to be saved, what about ALL the good men, spiritual GENERAL Authorities even, that acknowledge that have NOT been sealed up, and die. Would they be saved? Of course!

:sparklygrin::sparklygrin::sparklygrin::sparklygrin::sparklygrin::sparklygrin::sparklygrin::sparklygrin::sparklygrin::sparklygrin::sparklygrin::sparklygrin::sparklygrin::sparklygrin::sparklygrin::sparklygrin::sparklygrin::sparklygrin::sparklygrin::sparklygrin: ummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm LOL LOL LOL LOL WELL IF YOU ARE SAYING THAT IM WRONG!!!!!!!!!!!!! THEN YOU ARE SAYING THAT THE SCRIPTURES ARE WRONG!!!!!! LOL its Doctrine !!! u need to read it Properly !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! u are not listening to what is being said u can read it in the Doctrine & Covenants student manual for yourself!! we get a chance!!!! thats why the famliy history is soooo important that why we need to do the Baptisms and endow and sealings on the earth

for the people to that have PASSED ON!!!! AND THAT WAHT IT SAYS IN D&C

WELL IF YOU ARE SAYING THAT IM WRONG!!!!!!!!!!!!! THEN YOU ARE SAYING THAT THE SCRIPTURES ARE WRONG!!!!!! LOL its Doctrine !!! u need to read it Properly !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! u are not listening to what is being said u can read it in the Doctrine & Covenants student manual for yourself!! we get a chance!!!! thats why the famliy history is soooo important that why we need to do the Baptisms and endow and sealings on the earth

for the people to that have PASSED ON!!!! AND THAT WAHT IT SAYS IN D&C

I think this was my string at one time. :dontknow: Oh well, you can have it. The original post was a lesson outline...but we'll call it public domain. :sparklygrin:

Memo to Nicole from one outside the LDS Church that doesn't quite 'know the language' yet: Maybe you're right--I'm in no position to analyze--but sometimes you can be so right that you're wrong. Just a thought. :idea:

Can we be sure we are saved <NOW>?

Yes. God can assure us we are saved NOW, and if we have confidence in the assurance God can give us NOW, and God does in fact assure us we are saved NOW, we can also have assurance or be sure we are saved NOW.

And btw, I am using the word NOW to illustrate the distinction between knowing the state of our relationship with God NOW and knowing the state of our relationship with God LATER, when we might have changed the state of our relationship to something other than what it is right NOW.

Or in other words, if God assures us we are saved NOW, and we then go out and murder somebody or do something else which would alter the state of our relationship with God, we can’t honestly say God would assure us we are STILL saved simply because God assured us we were saved BEFORE.

Can we be sure we will endure to the end and live forever?

Yes, to the degree we can be sure we will never change our “mind” about the beliefs we know are true NOW, rather than choosing to believe something contrary to the beliefs we know are true NOW.

And btw, instead of saying we need to have a simple belief in Jesus Christ to be saved, I would say we need to have a testimony from Jesus Christ to assure us we are saved, which Jesus Christ can give us through the power of the Holy Ghost.

Or in other words, simply believing Jesus Christ is the Savior of the world will not do anything to save us, because Satan and his angels also believe and know that is true and yet that does nothing to assure them Jesus Christ will save them, so the only way we can know we are saved is by receiving a personal testimony from Jesus Christ to assure us we are saved, which Jesus Christ can give us through the power of the Holy Ghost… and btw, as I said above, an assurance from God concerning the state of our relationship with Him NOW does not mean God will assure us of the same thing LATER, if the state of our relationship changes to something contrary to the state it is in now.

Heh, but that doesn’t mean we should stop learning about God or what He wants from us, but I do advise against believing something which God would not assure us to be true.

And I agree with you Ray, and most of the people here, but why does our sister Nicole feels outside of our position, if our position in fact, is the one of the Scriptures? Nicole, read the scriptures we have quoted.

but after all, this is not a matter of doctrine but of relationship with Jesus, nobody convinces you by doctrine that you are saved, but YOU need to feel it, YOU need to discover that, uh, HE BOUGHT you with HIS blood, not yours. Hence, if you have come unto HIM, He said "NOBODY van take you awy from me"(Jn.10)

:sparklygrin::sparklygrin:

And I agree with you Ray, and most of the people here, but why does our sister Nicole feels outside of our position, if our position in fact, is the one of the Scriptures? Nicole, read the scriptures we have quoted.

but after all, this is not a matter of doctrine but of relationship with Jesus, nobody convinces you by doctrine that you are saved, but YOU need to feel it, YOU need to discover that, uh, HE BOUGHT you with HIS blood, not yours. Hence, if you have come unto HIM, He said "NOBODY van take you awy from me"(Jn.10)

:sparklygrin::sparklygrin::sparklygrin::sparklygrin::sparklygrin::sparklygrin::sparklygrin::sparklygrin: hello again how are we all?? Ok i know what u mean we need to be faithfull and if we follow the doctrines ie keep the Commandments OF god come unto christ build a Bond with God do all you can to follow the lord all i was saying is that we all can! have a change of going to the CK( peoples work can do done for them when they pass on if they have not heard the truth and are faithfull good people in their earth life!) iF we are faithfull and endure to the end i mean if we are faithfull and do all we can in our whole lifes!! we make mistakes but there is Repentance there for us! so we can live back with our heavenly father

as they say faith is dead without works we just need to do all we can to be like Christ the lord said that it wouldnt be easy but it would be worth it :sparklygrin:

take care guys :P

Yes sister, and also, I would draw a line(a very thin one) between perfection and salvation(exaltation) one has nothing to do with the other while at certain point they collide. We receive the salvation(assurance unto eternal life) when we accepted XChrist and His gospel(got baptized, Holy Ghost, etc..) AND there we began a process to perfectionate ourselves(not in order to be saved-for who can?!) but as a product of the LOVE we have for HIS grace and the work He does in us while changing our hearts, hence, we remain saved although we have weaknesses(through real repentance), BUT we dont have to be perfected before dying, we remain FAUTHFUL(this is-with a continuos DESIRE(and effort) to be perfect, in order to REMAIN(not obtain) saved.

So yeah, keep on the good work, and the Lord shall know how to reward you!