Taking scriptures into a temple session?

rubondfan2

I have been attending the temple for many years and today I attended just like normal, only I had an idea come to my mind that I would take my scriptures with me into the session. I realize that there are scriptures all throughout the temple and even in the Celestial room for patrons to read. However, none of those are ones "personal" scriptures and I like to read my own so that I can mark verses that speak to me and/or make notations as I receive personal revelation for me and my family.

Now, I've never actually seen anyone carry their scriptures with them into a session, so I did feel a bit like I was some kind of a non-conformist when I walked up to the first step there in the dressing room and one of the guys says, "do you want to put those in your locker?", to which I replied, "well, I actually wanted to take them with me"... to which the other worker says, "I've never seen anyone do that." I ended up feeling a little uncomfortable in that moment so I just went and put them back in my locker and gave up what I had felt pretty passionate about doing, which was to carry my scriptures with me and refer to them (at appropriate times) and record impressions that I may have received as I performed my service.

I'm not offended or anything like that. I'm not bitter that I "couldn't" take my scriptures with me. (I actually believe that I could have, because neither of the workers was saying that I "couldn't" take them, only that they had "never seen" anyone do that before.) I'm not one of those who does or doesn't do something just because no one has ever done it before. I also am not an openly rebellious kind of person either. In this instance, I had what I felt was a good idea for me, but then when a couple of workers seemed stumped/concerned, I found myself feeling like maybe my idea was silly and I didn't want to be a potential distraction along the way (like with the officiator and then the veil workers, etc.)

Now... after all that... here's my question. And I would be thrilled if there were any temple workers here on the forum who would weigh in on this. My question is, is there any kind of guideline or "policy" on taking ones scriptures with them into a temple session?

Thanks for any insights, opinions, or more important, authoritative counsel.

Rubondfan2

I'm not a temple worker and it's been a while since I've been.

There's definitely nothing wrong with wanting to have your scriptures with you. But in a strange way (that I can't explain) it doesn't seem appropriate.

Temple work is a moment of prayer, meditation and pondering, seeking heavenly insight that can sometimes only come from the House of the Lord. During sessions, I've always felt that one should think of the name and person for whom you are doing the ordinance work for.

I would suppose that having your scriptures with you would be more of a distraction from that purpose rather than enhancing it.

Just my opinion.

Guest mysticmorini

there are only two reasons that i can think of that this might be discouraged. the first is a matter of practicality, it might be awkward or difficult during certain portions of the ceremony to carry a set of scriptures. the second concern is that it may be frowned upon for you to write anything down, even if it is just notes in your scriptures, during the endowment.

I did a temple service mission about three years ago, and I came across someone doing exactly this. One of the temple workers mentioned it to the temple president, who in turn took the brother aside and asked him not to do it in future as 1. it is a potential distraction to other patrons and 2. The idea of the endowment is to watch what is going on, as it's commonly said that you pick up new information every time that you go in. If you are reading your scriptures, you aren't giving as much attention to the endowment as you otherwise could be.

Now I don't know if this is a rule, but I do know that my temple president (who had also been a temple president in a different temple prior to his current mission) stopped it from happening. I trusted his judgement on this.

Edited by Mahone

When I first received my endowment, we were instructed to leave all of our personal possessions in our lockers including jewelry, pens, wallets, cell phones etc. and to bring nothing with us other than our temple clothes, a watch, wedding ring and in the case of sisters if they wish, one pair of ear rings. (Without question that would also include your personal copy of the scriptures.) Are they going to take them away from you or ask you to leave? Not likely. Should you bring them anyway despite the counsel not to? Of course not.

One reason you see scriptures in the chapel when you are waiting for a session is because you aren't supposed to bring anything with you other than your temple clothing .......once a session starts it would not be appropriate to have scriptures, iphones, notepads etc. with you anyway, so just leave them in your locker. Once done with the session, if you want to read a scriptural passage in the celestial room, then borrow one of the books provided.

Edited by WindRiver

I was an ordinance worker for a few years, during which time the Temple Department approved the placement of white covered scriptures in the Celestial Room. Previously, scriptures of any kind were not allowed to be placed there.

There are other places in the temple where you could find places, such as studies, the chapel, etc, but we were also instructed to discourage people from using the temple as a place for personal study. A worthy and righteous member of the Church will receive just as much insight and wisdom from the scriptures outside of the temple as they would inside of the temple. So there's no need to make the temple a place for personal study, and it is discouraged since it can become a distraction to other visitors and potentially a nuisance to ordinance workers (I hate to say that, but let's face it, ordinance workers have places to be and things to do on top of supervising visitor activities).

So you were right to leave them in your locker. I'm sorry that doesn't go with what you were feeling, and I don't want to be unsympathetic to that. However, the Temple Department's policies are what they are.

I did a temple service mission about three years ago, and I came across someone doing exactly this. One of the temple workers mentioned it to the temple president, who in turn took the brother aside and asked him not to do it in future as 1. it is a potential distraction to other patrons and 2. The idea of the endowment is to watch what is going on, as it's commonly said that you pick up new information every time that you go in. If you are reading your scriptures, you aren't giving as much attention to the endowment as you otherwise could be.

Now I don't know if this is a rule, but I do know that my temple president (who had also been a temple president in a different temple prior to his current mission) stopped it from happening. I trusted his judgement on this.

Makes sense to me.

I was an ordinance worker for a few years, during which time the Temple Department approved the placement of white covered scriptures in the Celestial Room. Previously, scriptures of any kind were not allowed to be placed there.

There are other places in the temple where you could find places, such as studies, the chapel, etc, but we were also instructed to discourage people from using the temple as a place for personal study. A worthy and righteous member of the Church will receive just as much insight and wisdom from the scriptures outside of the temple as they would inside of the temple. So there's no need to make the temple a place for personal study, and it is discouraged since it can become a distraction to other visitors and potentially a nuisance to ordinance workers (I hate to say that, but let's face it, ordinance workers have places to be and things to do on top of supervising visitor activities).

So you were right to leave them in your locker. I'm sorry that doesn't go with what you were feeling, and I don't want to be unsympathetic to that. However, the Temple Department's policies are what they are.

I first want to thank each of you for your very useful comments and insights. And certainly not to imply that MOE's comment was any better than anyone else's, but it hit right at the heart of what I was looking for.

Also, to be clear, I would certainly not have been wanting to read during the ceremony. I was thinking mostly Celestial room and while waiting for other ceremonies... there's a certain amount of "sitting" time, especially when you're doing a full day of service.

I do completely agree however, that simply being in the temple and performing the service is, in it's own way, personal study. And I now see the larger view of why personal scriptures are discouraged.

Thanks again to each of you for your thoughts!!