Family Home Evening Lessons

StrawberryFields

You are Welcome! :)

Some of my fondest memories with friends in my ward, when my children were young, had to do with Family Home Evening. Several times we were invited to have a special FHE with another family. My first reaction was "Oh no, my kids won't behave for that long". When I went my children surprised me they were good at someone else's home. :) We had very good times sharing back and forth and we began hosting them as well.

Some of my most treasured items are some FHE Kits that we made and shared as young mothers in that ward. We formed a group of friends of eight women and we met semi-monthly to exchange kits. At the meeting everyone would tell the others what their lesson would be about. We would then have eight weeks to make the lesson complete in a manila folder to give to the other seven women. At the next meeting we would exchange lessons and each of us would take home eight different lessons made from one of our buddies. :) We made them special for each other but it was much easier then making eight separate fantastic lessons we only had to do one eight times! At the exchange we would have a little treat and decide whet lesson we would do for the next time. Mind you this was about 12 years ago and we need have the internet and wonderful resources that are available today but we managed. :)

The thought has occurred to me if this same idea would work for a freezer meal exchange. :lol:

SF -

We've tried the meal exchange thing, and it's not as simple as FHE exchange. Allergies and food preferences. Family size (one family is only receiveing 4 - 4-serving meals, but has to make 2 - 6-serving meals and 2 - 8-serving meals). Budget (it can become a bit of a competition to make "fancy" meals, which is silly, objectively, but is so natural anyone can fall into the trap). Containers (unless you all have the same size & shape containers).

I like FHE exchanges, though. Both inviting another family to join you once in a while and trading prepared lessons. Every family has their own topical needs, though, and for that reason, I'd exchange about half as many lessons as there are weeks between exchanges. That way you have plenty of time to focus on topics your family needs at the moment and also famiy members get experience planning and preparing lessons (not just always "pull one from the file cabinet").

• 1 year later...

You are Welcome! :)

Some of my fondest memories with friends in my ward, when my children were young, had to do with Family Home Evening. Several times we were invited to have a special FHE with another family. My first reaction was "Oh no, my kids won't behave for that long". When I went my children surprised me they were good at someone else's home. :) We had very good times sharing back and forth and we began hosting them as well.

Some of my most treasured items are some FHE Kits that we made and shared as young mothers in that ward. We formed a group of friends of eight women and we met semi-monthly to exchange kits. At the meeting everyone would tell the others what their lesson would be about. We would then have eight weeks to make the lesson complete in a manila folder to give to the other seven women. At the next meeting we would exchange lessons and each of us would take home eight different lessons made from one of our buddies. :) We made them special for each other but it was much easier then making eight separate fantastic lessons we only had to do one eight times! At the exchange we would have a little treat and decide whet lesson we would do for the next time. Mind you this was about 12 years ago and we need have the internet and wonderful resources that are available today but we managed. :)

The thought has occurred to me if this same idea would work for a freezer meal exchange. :lol:

I did that as well with FHE lessons. I still have most of them. Now that my kids are older they really are too young for them. So if anyone wants them just let me know.